Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

On 8/4/2019 at 5:02 PM, Beerlust said:

The first 6 George Lucas orchestrated & directed one's are still awesome!

I dunno Lusty, the first 3 (eps 4, 5 and 6) were brilliant, but I don't think the next 3 (eps 1, 2 and 3) were much good. Only got worse after that from what I've seen. 

Cheers, 

John 

3 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I dunno Lusty, the first 3 (eps 4, 5 and 6) were brilliant, but I don't think the next 3 (eps 1, 2 and 3) were much good.

I liked 1, 2, 3. They at least fit into the jigsaw puzzle of 4, 5, 6 pretty seamlessly. The modern CGI wasn't over-done either.

The recent 2015+ batches as much as they try to connect, just don't, & the CGI stuff is way over-done so you don't get a feel & attachment for the characters or for the movies themselves.

PLUS they killed off the characters that made the series what it was! 😢

DUMB-ASSES!

Lusty.

Any of you gents brew a Belgian Witbeir.  Mine is fermenting away but it has that sulphur smell.   Not too pungent like the rotting eggs smell but sulphur all the same. I took a gravity reading and a little sample. She has that Belgian taste and I didn’t notice any off flavours but the aroma was that sulphur odour.  Does that mellow down the longer she ferments ?

22 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Any of you gents brew a Belgian Witbeir.  Mine is fermenting away but it has that sulphur smell.   Not too pungent like the rotting eggs smell but sulphur all the same. I took a gravity reading and a little sample. She has that Belgian taste and I didn’t notice any off flavours but the aroma was that sulphur odour.  Does that mellow down the longer she ferments ?

Hey paddy. Your using the MJ witbier strain?. What temp you going at? I'm a big fan of low pitch temp and ramp up for all Belgian strains. After many many batches it throws the tastes but none of the fusel alcohols particularly with the higher ABV beers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the problem with living in the city... out here the cows spend all day burping and farrtting (let alone the wombats) so nobody really notices a bit of brewing gas😋

Ahhh… isn't it great to be back on topic!?!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

First Lager, all-grain. Oktoberfest style. Been at 12 degrees since Saturday, took a reading yesterday and she's just over halfway there. First time since my first brew not dry-hopping which feels so weird, but rules are rules.

And yeah, definitely smells a bit sulphery. 🤣

• Like 2

Following on the Firsts.

First All Grain Hefeweizen and first time use of Liquid Yeast WYeast W3068.  Following the 17 deg C protocol.

Progressing well and smells GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT.  Good enough to drink right now... but... will need to wait a bit longer.

image.thumb.png.e55488c0d15c77a4eaa6d6e9bc6908fa.png

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Following on the Firsts.

First All Grain Hefeweizen and first time use of Liquid Yeast WYeast W3068.  Following the 17 deg C protocol.

Progressing well and smells GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT.  Good enough to drink right now... but... will need to wait a bit longer.

image.thumb.png.e55488c0d15c77a4eaa6d6e9bc6908fa.png

Good stuff mate. Love a hefeweizen every now and then. Have you got the fermenter sitting on a glass shelf?

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Good stuff mate. Love a hefeweizen every now and then. Have you got the fermenter sitting on a glass shelf?

Cheers Greeny - you and a few more of the guys on this site have been very helpful in getting this wheat baby on the go... so up front thanks to you and the Hefeweizen brewers on the site!

No - here resting on the warming plate on top of a hard plastic cutting board - - over the low weight bearing fridge shelving - - and then being held up underneath for support by a Tupperware container...

Prolly should do something a bit more permanent are you thinking?   ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler

I'm gonna make up a stand for my second brew fridge, piece of ply or some other timber with two or three legs on it to hold it up while the other end rests on the compressor hump or whatever at the back. 

I don't need anything in the fridge I've been using for years, the fermenter just sits on the floor in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm gonna make up a stand for my second brew fridge, piece of ply or some other timber with two or three legs on it to hold it up while the other end rests on the compressor hump or whatever at the back. 

Be wary of the wood route Kelsey. They are really prone to the development of mould, & wild yeast staining. Better to go to your local glazier & have them cut you a piece of the reinforced glass suitable for weight bearing/fridges etc. So easy to keep clean & free of bacteria.

Just my 20 cents.

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Or simply coat it in 2 or 3 coats of varnish to stop any moisture getting into it. Probably a cheaper solution. 

Not sure about cheaper, but if you like screwing around like that then go for it.

Lusty.

On 8/6/2019 at 5:01 PM, porschemad911 said:

I dunno Lusty, the first 3 (eps 4, 5 and 6) were brilliant, but I don't think the next 3 (eps 1, 2 and 3) were much good. Only got worse after that from what I've seen. 

Cheers, 

John 

Awww come on John, who didn't love watching Yoda jump around like a Romanian gymnast duelling with a light sabre even though he's about 900 years old??

Who wasn't waiting with baited breath when Samuel L Jackson's character (Mace Windu) first confronts the emperor for him to unleash his famous Ezekiel 25:17 speech from Pulp Fiction before he "struck down upon him with great vengeance & furious anger" with his light sabre??

Who wasn't hoping for the showdown between young Anakin Skywalker & Obi Wan Kenobi to go something like the sword fight between King Arthur & the Black Knight from Monty Python & The Holy Grail?? It got close I thought. 😜

Ahh...classics.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 1

Just pitched my leftovers pale ale, got 24.5 litres into the fermenter, and pitching temp was about 19.5, currently coming down to 18. The wort smelled pretty good going in so I'm hoping it turns out well. I'll dry hop it next week with whatever is left of the hops I used in it plus 30g Cascade, which will clear out the freezer a bit. 

• Like 2

My first extract brew - Neil’s Centenarillo recipe. Added 200g cold steeped Carapils, otherwise followed the recipe.

• 2x Coopers LME
  • 500g Dextrose
  • 200g Carapils
  • 20g Centennial @30
  • 40g Amarillo @20
  • 40g Amarillo @10
  • Nottingham Yeast

Yeast pitched at about 19.5 - currently dropping to 18.

OG 1.041

0C3AE0F0-5350-47F4-B93F-3C6B05014043.jpeg

• Like 1