Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

Easy. Neither team takes 20 wickets and the team batting last doesn't get the runs, or it rains 😂. But there's a lot more happens during those 5 days trying to win than a bunch of guys with bats not bothering to actually use them. And what's with those ridiculous gloves they wear? Catching a baseball barehanded is like a bloody tennis ball. Sorry, but that's pretty pansy to me.

• Haha 2

I know the cricket ball is hard but we use the gloves to not break our hands on 160km throws. Not wearing gloves may seem tough but how those hands feel after a game and even 10 years later? We only have one body, use it right and protect it, it is just a game.

I used to play baseball in high school, I hate watching it. There is a lot of strategy and movement for better fielding and how and where to hit the ball, when to run, the same as cricket. A lot of signs are not broadcasted and are subtle, an open mouth, touch of the cap to signal who covers the base, etc.

But sitting in the stadium with a 50k crowd and eating hot dogs and drinking Budweiser is not a bad day, but playing it is funnier.

There is a technique for catching cricket balls that prevents hand injury, which could easily be used in baseball as well. Done properly your hands are not sore or injured, after one game or a hundred games. You basically move your hands with the ball as it makes contact rather than using hard hands which will cause injury. The wicketkeeper wears gloves because he catches 600 balls a day but the other fielders don't, so they aren't needed. I reckon it'd be coming off the bat pretty bloody quickly too, especially in the slips where I used to field, and other close in positions. Occasionally you get a stinger but not very often. 

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @PaddyBrew2

This was a grain bill I bought from a fellow brewer.  It was meant to be an 18L batch in the fermenter.

GF software says Mash in 16L; Sparge with 10.7L.  I have left the defaults in the software as they were, I assume GF would get their own equipment data correct?  Glanced at my pre-boil volume, think it was around 20.5L.  The sparge did take ages, I did it manually with a jug.  GF heats wort to around 97 degrees during sparge.  I might have had some losses during that time, not boiling, but plenty of vapour.

Looking at your numbers, if I upped the mash and sparge by about 4L for each, I would get to a similar outcome to you.

Cheers Shamus

Shamus, to hit your target your total water volume should be 29l. 16l mash and 13l sparg. What are you using to heat your sparge water? I have a seperate urn that sits above my GF making my sparge process easier.

• Like 2

Yeah if you know how to catch the chances of injury are minimal. Played 15 years mostly in the gully and slips. I found the gully the hardest position as it was often hard to see the ball off the bat especially if they were going hard at it. Only one injury in 15 years with a broken finger and that was on a low fingers down catch with the ball and my hands impacting the ground simultaneously. 

Really miss the game and the banter with the boys but we all get old unfortunately.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

How can you play a game for 5 days and nobody wins...........

Come on now BB1...

5 days and no result... that is a beautiful thing... an inherent part of the great game of Test Cricket and in this world of instant gratification may it live on for much longer.

Mmm... as long as we win the Ashes 😝

No use in drawing any games there ; )

BB2

PS... and being on the beers for 5 days is great even if it is a draw (better with a win though).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Titan said:

Shamus, to hit your target your total water volume should be 29l. 16l mash and 13l sparg. What are you using to heat your sparge water? I have a seperate urn that sits above my GF making my sparge process easier.

Hi Titan

I have checked the calculations and the Mash 16L & Sparge 10.7L are what the instructions say to use.  I must be getting more water absorption in the grain (crush too fine?).  Plus the tardy sparge duration while the GF was heated to around 96 degrees - not boiling but still generating steam = lost water.  How do you get the 13L sparge volume?

I heat my sparge water in a 20L Big W pot on an portable induction cooker.  Had to use a jug because I am waiting on a delivery of silicon tube that should have come last week.  Once I have the tube, I will then be able to drain my pot via a ball valve I have fitted to the pot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

You are forgetting the intricacies of baseball like turning a double play that calls for quick catch and release. Either way different games but similar.

I always found it quicker catching in both hands and throwing it because it's already in your throwing hand straight away, rather than having to pick it out of a glove first. 

I'm not saying there aren't tactics and whatever, but I find cricket different, to me there's more guile, intimidation/mind games, nuance and subtlety involved. At least in the longer form of the game anyway.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 10:20 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

You're not alone in that mate. Zero interest in those movies here. 

The 2015 & onward ones are very ordinary (IMHO). Too much CGI & the stories are crap. It's the JJ Abrams influences.

The first 6 George Lucas orchestrated & directed one's are still awesome!

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The 2015 & onward ones are very ordinary (IMHO). Too much CGI & the stories are crap. It's the JJ Abrams influences.

The first 6 George Lucas orchestrated & directed one's are still awesome!

Cheers,

Lusty.

They peaked with Empire and it was all downhill from there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How do you get the 13L sparge volume?

I used to do the same as you and top up post boil with a couple of litres. Then i had a look at mash thickness. I think GF calc uses a standard value of 2.7 ltrs per kilo when its more like 3.4. The extra 2 or 3 litres at sparge will also extract more of your sugars.

• Thanks 1