Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

Brewkaryotes KegLand AUS-05 (American)

who is keen to try this propogated by kegland   500 grams for 70 bucks or $3.50 for 11.5 grams (note the sachet s out of stock

https://www.kegland.com.au/brewkaryotes-saccale-aus-05-american-x-500g-brick.html?fbclid=IwAR058W9xKyzTkgAZ-YOiSecS9RespSjrf9jd228xi5VM7vcL6FUR6P14yfo

main product photo

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 12:43 AM, ozdevil said:

Brewkaryotes KegLand AUS-05 (American)

who is keen to try this propogated by kegland   500 grams for 70 bucks or $3.50 for 11.5 grams (note the sachet s out of stock

@ozdevil mate, out of interest, once you've opened the pack how long is it good for ?

I've got a project for adding yeast before bottling (in a Duvel Clone thread) and it only needs 2g out of a 20g pack. The website (Fermentis, yeast is F2) says once opened it should be used in a week. I wondered what you could do with an opened 500g pack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

@ozdevil mate, out of interest, once you've opened the pack how long is it good for ?

I've got a project for adding yeast before bottling (in a Duvel Clone thread) and it only needs 2g out of a 20g pack. The website (Fermentis, yeast is F2) says once opened it should be used in a week. I wondered what you could do with an opened 500g pack

if you refridgerate the yeast you will get 12 months worth out of a 500g pack

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there Brew Lords and Yeast Kings and Queens!

Have any of you out there in the great big Brüniverse ever tried the below?  Any thoughts - comments - suggestions?

I like that it is a non-diastic fella... 

LalBrew Farmhouse™ is a non-diastatic hybrid that has been selected to make saison-style and farmhouse style beers

image.thumb.png.6514a1813bccf0be5808ee09c13c07f3.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone out there who are interested in using something different than sacchromyces hoppy days look like they are sourcing some bootleg biology blends. Have been drooling about the options they get in the US which we don't but it looks like some are finding there way down here. Like the look of the black project one for a lambic I am looking to do.

https://hoppydaysbrewingsupplies.com.au/products/brands/bootleg-biology/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know whether Morgan's European Lager yeast is the same as trusty old Dubbya? Both apparently are Weihenstephaner yeast...or so they say. I have some S-189 to use but only have one pack of my preferred W34/70 and I need two as it is too late for a starter. None of the HBS in the immediate area has any Dubbya left but I can get Morgan's Euro Lager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Does anybody know whether Morgan's European Lager yeast is the same as trusty old Dubbya? Both apparently are Weihenstephaner yeast...or so they say. I have some S-189 to use but only have one pack of my preferred W34/70 and I need two as it is too late for a starter. None of the HBS in the immediate area has any Dubbya left but I can get Morgan's Euro Lager. 

Yep. W34/70 repackaged. From memory they just plagiarised the same description from the fermentis site the last time I looked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody used MJ M54 California Lager yeast? 

My questions regarding the yeast are:

At which temp was it used?
Which type of lager?
With or without lagering?
What was the beer like?

What MJ says sounds too good to be true and I have heard a lot of people saying the beer was terrible and they aren't going to use it again. Any comments?

41 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

My questions regarding the yeast are:

Which type of lager?
What was the beer like?

What MJ says sounds too good to be true and I have heard a lot of people saying the beer was terrible and they aren't going to use it again. Any comments?

I used it in a VB clone and a Great Northern clone.  

Both were done at 18°C for 4 - 5 days then 20°C for 5 - 6 days then cold crashed.

Neither were lagered.  Into keg and into kegerator and carbed overnight.  Started drinking after 1 day.  But I took a month or so to empty the keg and the later beers were better with time.  Having said that, I made a VB clone with S-189 and it was more lager-y.

Both looked, smelled and tasted like pub beer.

I would use the California Lager yeast again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Which type of lager?
What was the beer like?

I like it, I used it at shed temps in the cooler weather and it worked for me. No real lagering except keg storage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yep, I use it often. It is a ripper of a yeast. I goes off like a "frog in a sock".   I use it for all the non traditional lagers I make so things like Aussie Lager, US and Asian lagers, NZ Pilsners and also for some of my Pacific Ales where I wan't the hops to pop and have a crisp finish.   I highly recommend it.  I have a good Fat Yak inspire recipe which I used M54 on and I think it one of the best beers I make. The optimum range is 18-20c I use it at 22c @15psi. I general make a big stater and have had it fermenting within 3 hours of pitch.   Also used BRY-97 which is West Coast Ale yeast. Love the stuff it is a great yeast. Makes the hops pop and the next brew I will use some San Diego Super Yeast to see how it goes. 

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, yeast gurus, I think I may have made a little booboo. I made a Kölsch on the weekend and used LalBrew Köln for it. After the fact and when it was way too late to go anywhere where they may have this yeast, I was alerted to the fact that I need a lot of this yeast. People say at least 2 packs and the yeast calculator on the Lally website even says 3 packs. 

So, will it be a nice beer or will the yeast be stressed to the max and throw nasty esters. I'm fermenting it at 18C.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

@Aussiekraut I have used the same yeast and have only ever used 1 packet and have never had a problem with off tastes or esters. Was it a particularly high OG with your brew?

Nothing out of the ordinary. 1.047 and since it started kicking in last night, it has dropped to 1.044. Still a long way to go to the estimated 1.004.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Ok, yeast gurus, I think I may have made a little booboo. I made a Kölsch on the weekend and used LalBrew Köln for it. After the fact and when it was way too late to go anywhere where they may have this yeast, I was alerted to the fact that I need a lot of this yeast. People say at least 2 packs and the yeast calculator on the Lally website even says 3 packs. 

So, will it be a nice beer or will the yeast be stressed to the max and throw nasty esters. I'm fermenting it at 18C.

Agreeing with the yeast gurus.  I did a Kolsch a while ago.  I used one packet of yeast.  OG was 1.047.  FG was 1.012.  Started it at 20°C and after SG got to 1.020, upped the temperature to 22°C.  Tasted beautiful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

K97!!!

Note to self. When throwing in some sacchromyces to kick off a new flanders red batch do not use K97 even when the packet was 4 months past its best before date. 

20220504_202623.jpg

20220504_203308.jpg

Someone wet the bed 🛏🤣

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Next time you have that issue, start a little higher for yeast growth, then drop.

12 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Note to self.

Messy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1