Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

On 6/26/2021 at 6:53 AM, Green Blob said:

Well first beer with that (Mangrove Jack's Hophead M66) and I am a big fan... Makes a Hazy NEIPA without any dry hops... WTF???

On 6/26/2021 at 8:42 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Sounds like rather than the enzyme being produced by the yeast they are supplementing it with exogenous enzymes, maybe "Aromazyme." https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/aromazyme/

I wonder what yeast Mangrove Jacks are using for their base yeast in M66?

On 6/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

Hophead specs say it has "medium" (74-82%) attenuation and "high" (4/5) flocculation. 

Just wondering what this yeast would do in a cider.  Curious if the added enzymes would make a cider more fruity too.

I have my doubts as to whether the enzymes could pull much out of clarified juice but, if that was all one had available, adding some chunks of actual fruit (apple, pear, banana) would give the enzymes something to work on. 

Anyone want to try it and report back? I might try it myself this fall (October) with some home grown apples: do a side-by-side between Nottingham and Hophead....Nottingham is one of the most popular beer yeast used by cider makers.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

4 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Just wondering what this yeast would do in a cider.  Curious if the added enzymes would make a cider more fruity too.

I have my doubts as to whether the enzymes could pull much out of clarified juice but, if that was all one had available, adding some chunks of actual fruit (apple, pear, banana) would give the enzymes something to work on. 

Anyone want to try it and report back? I might try it myself this fall (October) with some home grown apples: do a side-by-side between Nottingham and Hophead....Nottingham is one of the most popular beer yeast used by cider makers.

Cheers,

Christina.

Interesting article @ChristinaS1 Cheers.

• Like 1

Just re-checking here and I apologise if this has been answered a million times before.

I've got a couple of jars of US-05 slurry stored in the fridge and have been in there for the past 8 days. Can I keep that stored in the fridge for about 3 weeks? I can't use the slurry yet because I've got another brew going at the minute and can't really do the next batch until the current ones finished in about 2 weeks. Will the viability of the yeast in slurry be okay to use at that point? TIA

11 hours ago, Mickep said:

Just re-checking here and I apologise if this has been answered a million times before.

I've got a couple of jars of US-05 slurry stored in the fridge and have been in there for the past 8 days. Can I keep that stored in the fridge for about 3 weeks? I can't use the slurry yet because I've got another brew going at the minute and can't really do the next batch until the current ones finished in about 2 weeks. Will the viability of the yeast in slurry be okay to use at that point? TIA

It will be fine to use. I have left my slurry in the fridge for longer periods and it worked no dramas.

• Like 1

Just picked up some M84 bohemian lager yeast from brew store along with replacement keg lid seals and some pilsner and ale malt. Will be good see difference with yeast as it's supposed to finish a bit dry pilsner style. Plus a bit of pilsner malt for a partial and that fresh taste added.

Hey Yeastmeisters. Advice please. 
I’m going to do a simple pale ale with NZ hops. Pretty standard. Normally I would go for MJ M44 or US O5 but don’t have any….

I do have some Nottingham slurry. Could I use that in my pale ale or would that be a bit weird?…I also have a pack of verdant IPA if the Nottingham doesn’t get the vote.

Thoughts?

TIA ladies and gents 🍻✌️

31 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I’m going to do a simple pale ale with NZ hops. Pretty standard. Normally I would go for MJ M44 or US O5 but don’t have any….

I do have some Nottingham slurry. Could I use that in my pale ale or would that be a bit weird?…I also have a pack of verdant IPA if the Nottingham doesn’t get the vote.

Thoughts?

TIA ladies and gents 🍻✌️

The Nottingham slurry would do fine and even fire up better than a fresh pack. It's similar to US-05 in terms of being neutral flavour wise. I've used US-05 slurry in English bitters because had it sitting in fridge didn't make it bad.

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

many different ways to the top of the mountain - but both of the above lead up and onwards 🙂

Either will make nice beer... sorta guess maybe what specific end result you want - but irrespective of BJCP guidelines they will be lovely beers!

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Normally I would go for MJ M44 or US O5 but don’t have any….

I do have some Nottingham slurry.

MJ 44 and US05 are, IMO BORING. Like the Magnum of yeast @Beerlust

I am using a German Ale yeast atm for my Pales, I like using saison yeast too.
Notto will be perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

The Nottingham slurry would do fine and even fire up better than a fresh pack. It's similar to US-05 in terms of being neutral flavour wise. I've used US-05 slurry in English bitters because had it sitting in fridge didn't make it bad.

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

many different ways to the top of the mountain - but both of the above lead up and onwards 🙂

Either will make nice beer... sorta guess maybe what specific end result you want - but irrespective of BJCP guidelines they will be lovely beers!

40 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

MJ 44 and US05 are, IMO BORING. Like the Magnum of yeast @Beerlust

I am using a German Ale yeast atm for my Pales, I like using saison yeast too.
Notto will be perfectly fine.

Thanks @jamiek86 @Graubart @Green Blob gentlemen. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t about to make a mistake by introducing English esters into the brew - I guess that’s what I was really worried about. I’ll go with the Nottingham and brew it on the cooler side, and keep the verdant for a hop fest down the track 🤘

I take your point GB, and promise to get more adventurous in the future! Not sure I’m quite ready for a saison though…🤪

Cheers everyone 🍻

TB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

So the krausen has fallen on the wattle yeast beer. Have upped the temp to 25c to get it to finish off. Still getting the odd bubble out of the airlock so will wait till that subsides and then take the FG, Ph and give it a taste. If all those are good then I will bottle it up.

20210803_183833.jpg

That’s amazing Greeny. All that from a wattle flower. I had no idea you could do that. I hope it turns out great. Will you keep some of that yeast if it’s a winner?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

That’s amazing Greeny. All that from a wattle flower. I had no idea you could do that. I hope it turns out great. Will you keep some of that yeast if it’s a winner?

Yeah mate. Yeast is all around us. On flowers, fruit and in the air. Not sure it will be a winner on its own. From the starter I tasted it was very saisony and while I dont mind a saison. I don't really like them super funky. If it is half decent I will try a long term ferment with a sour strain to balance out the funkiness. If it's shit it's only cost me about 6 or 7 bucks with the dry malt and the 8gm of hops.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Thanks @jamiek86 @Graubart @Green Blob gentlemen. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t about to make a mistake by introducing English esters into the brew - I guess that’s what I was really worried about. I’ll go with the Nottingham and brew it on the cooler side, and keep the verdant for a hop fest down the track 🤘

I take your point GB, and promise to get more adventurous in the future! Not sure I’m quite ready for a saison though…🤪

Cheers everyone 🍻

TB

+1

Yeah go the Notty, pitch low and slow 17 - 18 C.  I use it nearly always in my pale ales, that and the CCA.  Only used US-05 this once and the Krausen crud just refuses to drop, beer is clearing nicely though.  Will see what it looks like after a few for days of cold crash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah mate. Yeast is all around us. On flowers, fruit and in the air. Not sure it will be a winner on its own. From the starter I tasted it was very saisony and while I dont mind a saison. I don't really like them super funky. If it is half decent I will try a long term ferment with a sour strain to balance out the funkiness. If it's shit it's only cost me about 6 or 7 bucks with the dry malt and the 8gm of hops.

Hey Greeny.  So are you going to send some of your yeast samples somewhere and get then classified?  Start Licencing talks with Chris White? 👍

If I get near to Canberra one day will drop into the National Library and have a look at this historical record from 1917.

Grove Johnson did exactly what you did but with Eucalyptus (I think) and created the Melbourne Ale yeast.   @MitchBastard did you ever have any success getting something viable out of your old vial of WLP059 Melbourne Ale Yeast a year or so back?

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

How long do you guys keep the harvested yeast? 

I don't really want to get into the science of cultivating yeast and that sort of thing but I'd like to reduce my yeast cost a little. A pack of Notty is something like $6.50 and is use a fair bit of it. I'm currently brewing a Munich Helles, which was made with 2 packs of W34/70 at a combined cost of something like 13 or 14 bucks. I don't plan on brewing many lagers, mainly for organisational reasons (and because I am a little lagered out) but maybe 3 or 4 batches a year are on the cards, now that I can actually lager. Looking around the net, answers range from no more than 2 weeks to 18 months, although I suspect the latter was washed, rinsed and pampered. All I want to do is keep some slurry, make a starter when I need it and then re-harvest after the ferment is done. If I can get three or four brews out of it, it would significantly reduce the spendings on yeast. It all adds up to a few hundred dollars a year.

Also, on the topic of starters. I read people make three and four litre starters. Do you brew with such a huge starter in mind, so you don't thin out the beer? Or do you tip most of it out and just use what's set on the bottom of the container?

Hey @Aussiekraut  AK. I have recently got into using the yeast slurry, mainly so that I’m not spending $7 per batch on yeast. I’m happy with the results so far. 
I have repitched yeast at around the 6-8 week mark with no problems - I just used a bit more when it was getting older. I read from @ChristinaS1 (I think it was) that the longer you keep it the less viable it becomes so that was my reason for pitching more. 
I don’t make starters, just swirl up the harvested yeast in the jar (straight from the fridge) and chuck it in. 
I probably wouldn’t use any that was older than 3 months but I have no basis for that timeframe - just a guess. 
If it was kveik I would probably dry it out and freeze it and use it in 20 years time - I think it’s different rules with kveik…

• Like 1

Fresh harvested slurry of M76 Bavarian lager yeast looked good going into keg forgot give it taste hope comes out how I hope it should. @Aussiekraut I have heard up until 3 months is fine if kept in fridge. If you were concerned you could make a starter from the slurry or even pitch the whole thing plus only one packet?

20210805_121119.jpg