Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

Trying out my new wort whipper on an expired Lalbrew Koln yeast I purchased for half price with a starter. Seems to be going pretty well. I have some harvested white labs south German lager yeast which I will try the 5 litre flask out on after this one. Pretty excited about the yeast opportunities it opens up and can share yeast with my dad and save money maybe 🤔 🤣

1000A321-8471-4CE8-8889-532FC7FF5DCC.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doing a little experiment with my son. Not sure on the type of yeast as it came in a science kit from his Granny.  Fun watching the yeast work. Sugar and Luke warm water creating CO2 

IMG_20220614_143719.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PintsMeLocal said:

Doing a little experiment with my son. Not sure on the type of yeast as it came in a science kit from his Granny.  Fun watching the yeast work. Sugar and Luke warm water creating CO2 

IMG_20220614_143719.jpg

Try it with kveik. Might need a stronger balloon though Pints 👍

• Haha 4

Like many of you,  I have accumulated some unused Cooper's yeast packets. It does not say on each packet what yeast is inside.  Would they all be the same, or Would they be different depending on which kit they came from?

Thanks,  JimInCollie.

• Like 2

Here's something from Coopers from a while ago, hope it helps.

The following explains the ink-jetted code on the yeast sachets, supplied with each beer kit:

Sachets carry a Julian date code and may also carry letters to denote the type of yeast. For example, if they were packaged on the 25th of September 2007 = 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-

Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)

Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)

European Lager - L (26807 P)

Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)

English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-

Wheat - A (26807 W)

IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)

Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)

Pilsener - L (26807 P)

Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:

Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimInCollie said:

unused Cooper's yeast packets

@Classic Brewing Co has provided great decoding there... great stuff Phil.

@JimInCollie Jim in beautiful Collie mate - you could try making starters to see if they are alive-alive-ho and use them that way?

And I think some cook up old yeast as 'yeast nutrient' in brews as well... 

If they haven't been kept too hot or been hot and cold lots it is surprising how long yeast will last... and if you make up a starter of about 100g of Dex-BE-Malt per L of boiled water and well shaken to oxygenate in a sanitised jar at around 18 overnight usually you will see whether something comes of it all.... @Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny your thoughts mate?

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@Classic Brewing Co has provided great decoding there... great stuff Phil.

@JimInCollie Jim in beautiful Collie mate - you could try making starters to see if they are alive-alive-ho and use them that way?

And I think some cook up old yeast as 'yeast nutrient' in brews as well... 

If they haven't been kept too hot or been hot and cold lots it is surprising how long yeast will last... and if you make up a starter of about 100g of Dex-BE-Malt per L of boiled water and well shaken to oxygenate in a sanitised jar at around 18 overnight usually you will see whether something comes of it all.... @Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny your thoughts mate?

Yeah you will rouse up a past use by packet if it's been in the fridge. I'd go a 500ml starter though if it's well past use by.

I have about 20 of them from my kit and kilo days sitting in the fridge still. I use a packet with my high ABV brews in the boil to give some nutrient.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimInCollie said:

Like many of you,  I have accumulated some unused Cooper's yeast packets. It does not say on each packet what yeast is inside.  Would they all be the same, or Would they be different depending on which kit they came from?

Thanks,  JimInCollie.

From the Coopers site, the following excerpt relates to the codes on the yeast packs @JimInCollie 👍

Summary:

• C – R007 = Coopers ale yeast. Our own strain, which was developed in-house, but it is not the same strain as the yeast in our commercial ales.

• C+L – R3426 = A blend of our Coopers ale yeast and a lager strain.

• A – R3554/R3555/R3557/R3559 = various ale yeasts*

• L – R3422/R3424/R3556 = various lager yeasts*

• W – R3558 = wheat yeast*

• 4 weeks later...

IMG20220711140211.thumb.jpg.67dd0271933134baeecfa9b87ddf1418.jpgI managed to score some free Bluestone liquid yeasts. They were mailed up to me on Friday and arrived today. It was cool, but not cold in the box and a couple of the packets are puffed up. I put them in the fridge for the moment.

IMG20220711140154.thumb.jpg.be8334c1439e524973bd0da902abbee8.jpg

Whaddya think? How usable and viable do you reckon they'd be? They were stored well before posting and weather has been cool. The production dates are less than a month ago.

I also scored these. Anyone have any experience with them? @Greenyinthewestofsydney or @interceptor?

IMG20220711144717.thumb.jpg.0c2825cb5b292bacf56a4d853bfee476.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Popo said:

Whaddya think? How usable and viable do you reckon they'd be? They were stored well before posting and weather has been cool. The production dates are less than a month ago.

The yeasts will be fine if in transit in Australia at this time of year.

I have not used the lactobacillii packets, so cannot help there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The yeasts will be fine if in transit in Australia at this time of year.

I have not used the lactobacillii packets, so cannot help there.

Cheers, Shamus. I contacted Bluestone directly and they also said they'd be fine.

They actually said they did trials at room temperature for a week and they remained 95% viable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2022 at 2:59 PM, Popo said:

IMG20220711140211.thumb.jpg.67dd0271933134baeecfa9b87ddf1418.jpgI managed to score some free Bluestone liquid yeasts. They were mailed up to me on Friday and arrived today. It was cool, but not cold in the box and a couple of the packets are puffed up. I put them in the fridge for the moment.

IMG20220711140154.thumb.jpg.be8334c1439e524973bd0da902abbee8.jpg

I also scored these. Anyone have any experience with them? @Greenyinthewestofsydney or @interceptor?

IMG20220711144717.thumb.jpg.0c2825cb5b292bacf56a4d853bfee476.jpg

Sorry for the delay mate. Lacto plantarum is my go to. Never used the lallemand but used this instead. It's the same strain.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/49531/inner-health-ibs-support-30-capsules-fridge-line?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqdKP5sn1-AIVBZlmAh1k2AFIEAQYASABEgIqTPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So lacto plantarum is great for a kettle sour. 35c and 4 tablets and it will be 3.3 ish pH in 24 hours. The other way I have used it is in a coferment at 35c with kviek. After 48 hours I do a stovetop boil of hops and put it in the fermenter. Plantarum will stop souring at the first sniff of hops. The two times I have done the Co ferment it's been done in 3 days. I don't think I will do a kettle sour ever again. The co ferment works much better for my taste buds.

Never used lacto helveticus but I see from milk the funk that it's not hop tolerant either so you would have to use it in a similar way to the plantarum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Sorry for the delay mate. Lacto plantarum is my go to. Never used the lallemand but used this instead. It's the same strain.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/49531/inner-health-ibs-support-30-capsules-fridge-line?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqdKP5sn1-AIVBZlmAh1k2AFIEAQYASABEgIqTPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So lacto plantarum is great for a kettle sour. 35c and 4 tablets and it will be 3.3 ish pH in 24 hours. The other way I have used it is in a coferment at 35c with kviek. After 48 hours I do a stovetop boil of hops and put it in the fermenter. Plantarum will stop souring at the first sniff of hops. The two times I have done the Co ferment it's been done in 3 days. I don't think I will do a kettle sour ever again. The co ferment works much better for my taste buds.

Never used lacto helveticus but I see from milk the funk that it's not hop tolerant either so you would have to use it in a similar way to the plantarum.

Great info greeny 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2022 at 7:59 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Thanks, Greeny. Really appreciate that, mate 👍🏽

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have a question for the Yeast experts in regard to saving the deposit from a brew just been kegged.

I have never done this before as I don't particularly like the idea however as I have taken these other steps from k & k to AG/Kegging, I may as well give it a go. I have a 1litre glass beaker & I am wondering the best way to go about it;

1. how much to take

2. do I add water & if so - how much

3. do I foil the top & fridge it

4. how long can I keep it

5. how much do I use in the next brew.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Phil

20220730_120522.jpg

20220730_121115.jpg

Hey @Classic Brewing Co,

I do it from time to time but not that often.

I usually leave some beer in the bottom. Maybe a litre or so. Swirl, then 2/3 fill a PET bottle.

I would definitely foil cap the top of your beaker.

There are varied answers for how long it can be kept. I've waited up to a couple of weeks and it has still seemed quite viable going by fermentation and end product. 

It can be kept heaps longer if you make a starter.

How much to use? Pour off most of the beer left on top and pitch. Usually left with a cup or so. But I'm not real scientific about it. 

Here's a thread worth a read Reusing yeast slurry