Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

57 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK I have a question for the Yeast experts in regard to saving the deposit from a brew just been kegged.

I have never done this before as I don't particularly like the idea however as I have taken these other steps from k & k to AG/Kegging, I may as well give it a go. I have a 1litre glass beaker & I am wondering the best way to go about it;

1. how much to take

2. do I add water & if so - how much

3. do I foil the top & fridge it

4. how long can I keep it

5. how much do I use in the next brew.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Phil

20220730_120522.jpg

20220730_121115.jpg

OK here's what I have done, I have placed glad wrap & foil over it I fridged it.So I will see what happens whether I use it or not.

20220730_131806.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Hey @Classic Brewing Co,

I do it from time to time but not that often.

I usually leave some beer in the bottom. Maybe a litre or so. Swirl, then 2/3 fill a PET bottle.

I would definitely foil cap the top of your beaker.

There are varied answers for how long it can be kept. I've waited up to a couple of weeks and it has still seemed quite viable going by fermentation and end product. 

It can be kept heaps longer if you make a starter.

How much to use? Pour off most of the beer left on top and pitch. Usually left with a cup or so. But I'm not real scientific about it. 

Here's a thread worth a read Reusing yeast slurry

Thanks for your reply mate, I have seen lot's of stuff on YouTube about it but I am still not sure what I will do, I tried it once before but ending up chucking it, probably be the same with this lot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK here's what I have done, I have placed glad wrap & foil over it I fridged it.So I will see what happens whether I use it or not.

20220730_131806.jpg

Looks good, Phil.  I would use it within a month.  It can last longer though.

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks good, Phil.  I would use it within a month.  It can last longer though.

Hi Shamus, thanks for your reply, but how much do I use in a normal brew & do I need to add boiled water & shake it up ?

There are that many topics on the Internet it starts to get confusing. Cheers.

1 hour ago, interceptor said:

For slurry I just pur it into a bottle.

That's what I did 🤔 

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Shamus, thanks for your reply, but how much do I use in a normal brew & do I need to add boiled water & shake it up ?

There are that many topics on the Internet it starts to get confusing. Cheers.

What @Popo said.

Collecting slurry is not an exact process.  What you have collected (400ml) will be enough for one brew.  I would not collect any less though.  I used to almost fill 600ml mason jars.

If you do not end up leaving enough water in the jar to swirl up the yeast, you can always decant some of the wort from your brew into the jar.  I also use a bit of the wort to rinse out the jar/flask and tip it back into the brew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What @Popo said.

Collecting slurry is not an exact process.  What you have collected (400ml) will be enough for one brew.  I would not collect any less though.  I used to almost fill 600ml mason jars.

If you do not end up leaving enough water in the jar to swirl up the yeast, you can always decant some of the wort from your brew into the jar.  I also use a bit of the wort to rinse out the jar/flask and tip it back into the brew. 

Thanks heaps Shamus I was hoping to hear that so I will put some wort in there & swirl it up & tip it in the next brew. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 12:59 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK I have a question for the Yeast experts in regard to saving the deposit from a brew just been kegged.

I have never done this before as I don't particularly like the idea however as I have taken these other steps from k & k to AG/Kegging, I may as well give it a go. I have a 1litre glass beaker & I am wondering the best way to go about it;

1. how much to take

2. do I add water & if so - how much

3. do I foil the top & fridge it

4. how long can I keep it

5. how much do I use in the next brew.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Phil

1. I always used to work on 1.5bn per ml. So 200ml equals 300bn cells etc. However!!! This is an inexact science. For lagers I usually take the whole trub.

2. Don't add water. Just use the last bit of the beer and tip it into a jar. 

3. Yes should be covered. You don't need a flask. Just a glass jar is fine.

4. My opinion use it quickly. It depends on a lot of factors. I have found a few things though. A high ABV beer and the viability will run out really fast. More hops and the viability will drop fast as well. For my 200ml equals 300bn cells use within 2 weeks. If you keep it longer before you use it then use more etc.

5. As per my previous comments

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

1. I always used to work on 1.5bn per ml. So 200ml equals 300bn cells etc. However!!! This is an inexact science. For lagers I usually take the whole trub.

2. Don't add water. Just use the last bit of the beer and tip it into a jar. 

3. Yes should be covered. You don't need a flask. Just a glass jar is fine.

4. My opinion use it quickly. It depends on a lot of factors. I have found a few things though. A high ABV beer and the viability will run out really fast. More hops and the viability will drop fast as well. For my 200ml equals 300bn cells use within 2 weeks. If you keep it longer before you use it then use more etc.

5. As per my previous comments

Thanks Greeny, Cheers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just bottled a Coopers Stout (supplied yeast) & have saved this so I am assuming it would be good for the next Dark Ale/Stout.

Looks good.  Get it in the fridge.  I prefer lids that I can crack open a little to let any CO2 escape.  Worse case though, the Moccona style lid is only going to pop off, not explode or anything.

• Like 2

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks good.  Get it in the fridge.  I prefer lids that I can crack open a little to let any CO2 escape.  Worse case though, the Moccona style lid is only going to pop off, not explode or anything.

It's in the fridge, I didn't have any other jars so I will keep an eye on it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I use a sanitized jar and don’t screw the lid on - just a bit of cling wrap sprayed with sanitiser and a rubber band. No bombs that way

• Like 4

Just after some advice from the yeast gurus.

I have some lager yeast slurry in jars, in the fridge - about 4 months old. I want to make a starter to make sure it’s still good. Haven’t made a starter before though.

I notice on the coopers videos they mix water and dme at about 10:1 ratio in a sanitized bottle and then add the yeast. Then they store it somewhere warm for a couple of days, and shake often. I’m wondering if I can use this method? or do I need to boil the wort before adding the yeast? I was interested to see they don’t bother with that step…

Thoughts on boiling/not boiling - noting that I am lazy 😂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Just after some advice from the yeast gurus.

I have some lager yeast slurry in jars, in the fridge - about 4 months old. I want to make a starter to make sure it’s still good. Haven’t made a starter before though.

I notice on the coopers videos they mix water and dme at about 10:1 ratio in a sanitized bottle and then add the yeast. Then they store it somewhere warm for a couple of days, and shake often. I’m wondering if I can use this method? or do I need to boil the wort before adding the yeast? I was interested to see they don’t bother with that step…

Thoughts on boiling/not boiling - noting that I am lazy 😂

I boil the wort for my starters.  Just in a pot for 5 minutes is enough.  It is easy step to eliminate the risk of infection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I boil the wort for my starters.  Just in a pot for 5 minutes is enough.  It is easy step to eliminate the risk of infection.

+1 to Shamus definitely boil and just cool it down with ice bricks in your sink then pitch. I use an Erlenmeyer flask it’s much easier you don’t have to worry about sanitising another vessel just boil in the flask cool it in the sink and pitch in the flask covered with foil! If you don’t have a stir plate just give it gentle shake/swirl to stir the yeast into suspension when you walk past it! Make sure you give it a good swirl after pitching to get some oxygen into the starter!

Edited by RDT2
  • Thanks 2

Ok cool, thanks Shamus and RD, much appreciated. 
I don’t have a flask but that’s ok, I can boil, then cool and pour into sanitized bottle and add the yeast into the bottle. Shake ‘n’ Bake and should be good after a couple of days hopefully 👍✌️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, Tone boy said:

Ok cool, thanks Shamus and RD, much appreciated. 
I don’t have a flask but that’s ok, I can boil, then cool and pour into sanitized bottle and add the yeast into the bottle. Shake ‘n’ Bake and should be good after a couple of days hopefully 👍✌️

Ok so today I tried to resurrect the old lager yeast. 
I added 160g of LDME to 1.6 litres of water. Boiled for 5 minutes. I then transferred the pot into a sink of cold water to cool down. Added cling wrap around the lid to keep the nasties out. 
When cooled I poured into sanitized bottles and added the yeast - 1 jar per bottle. 
Have stored in a warm place out of the light. See what happens…🤞

D5AF0DFD-4081-4C51-90FF-6A549F947F73.thumb.jpeg.77c3a355228d4fd35c3f944ed0bc6e44.jpeg

AD0618C5-956D-4B44-9616-A1D34BFFA2D5.thumb.jpeg.091bbb090eb649fe0effb5817052ff7b.jpeg

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 3

OK 3 hours later and there is definitely action. The bottle with the screw top lid was hard, and when I loosened the cap it started hissing out (presumably) CO2. Smelt fine. So looks like a success.

Now I will have to organize a brew for tomorrow or later today…😮

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tone boy said:

OK 3 hours later and there is definitely action. The bottle with the screw top lid was hard, and when I loosened the cap it started hissing out (presumably) CO2. Smelt fine. So looks like a success.

Now I will have to organize a brew for tomorrow or later today…😮

The Yeast now controls your Life..

• Haha 4

So I tried my wattle yeast experiment again. This time with unhopped malt. 6 jars with about 50ml of wort and a small branch of wattle touched by the bees. I did it a couple of Saturdays ago so this is 9 days. 

Out of the 6 I threw 2 straight up. They just didn't pass the smell test. Out of the other 4 got some interesting results from the ph and mini taste test.

1st one - smelt lemony/citrus. Ph of 3.5. Taste a touch tart but a little fruity.

2nd one - smell kinda funky. Smells like some Brettanomyces in there. Ph of 2.9 so was expecting some sour with this one. Taste very sour. Like nothing else I can taste

3rd one - smells a bit fruity. Ph of 4. No tartness. A little funky taste 

4th one - very similar to number 2 in smell. Ph the same. Taste similar.  

So after the tests I threw number 4. Building a small starter of number 2 first up. Will make a decision whether I keep and use it in a 5L demijohn batch or throw after the starter. The rest I have put in the fridge and in a sealed bag for trying after number 2. 

20220815_213122.jpg

20220815_213407.jpg

20220815_213624.jpg

20220815_213924.jpg

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...