Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

18 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

No not used it yet,  I buggered up my brewing schedule by slipping in another Coopers Sparkling Ale clone in front of my next batch of lagers (80 L).  Also have two tins of Golden Crown lager coming up to their use by dates so going to do a side by side hop experiment with these next.

After they are all out of the way will do a brew with the MJ Bohemian Lager yeast to sus it out.

I guess ill be able to give you feedback on it first then as i plan on doing a euro lager with it next week and compare it to the bavarian lager yeast which was a good taste.

• Like 2

@ChristinaS1 non diastic saison yeast...

LALBREW FARMHOUSE™

LalBrew Farmhouse™ is a non-diastatic hybrid that has been selected to make saison-style and farmhouse style beers. This product is the result of the research and development work of Renaissance Yeast in Vancouver BC, Canada. LalBrew Farmhouse™ was selected using the most advanced breeding techniques. The Renaissance research team used classical and non-GMO methods to remove the STA1 gene, responsible for the diastatic activity of Saison yeasts. Care was taken to retain normal brewing sugar utilization to produce dry saisons. Additionally, the patented technology from University of California Davis (USA) ensures that the strain will not produce sulfurous favors, therefore enhancing the saison yeast aroma characteristics.

I have two packets of this and am looking forward to the warmer weather so I can give it a go

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 12:28 AM, Graubart said:

Any of you Gun Brewers out there used Lally London Ale Yeast?

Notes advise it does not ferment out Maltotriose so allows that slight Brit Ale sweetness... seems to have parked at about 1013 down from 1059... thoughts all re whether I have finally hit FG?

image.thumb.png.0ed3e2342c3f761ab8a52da39522ecc0.png--

I tried it once and was not overly impressed. It is just okay.  When I buy a English yeast I am looking for lots of esters, and I did not find any in this yeast. While it does leave a sweet finish / lets the malt shine through, I also found it a bit mineral-y? 🤔 I don't know, maybe something is wrong with my taste buds....

I will be interested to hear how you like it.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, disgruntled said:

@ChristinaS1 non diastic saison yeast...

I have two packets of this and am looking forward to the warmer weather so I can give it a go

Very interesting @disgruntled. Thanks! Those Canadians, always up to something! 

Interested to hear how you like it.

Cheers,

Christina.

PS In case you did not know, I am Canadian too. 😆

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

First Paley Aley type thing yummo, second TOP Clone on cake yummmmmmmmmmo, and third a 1061 OG Stout on cake... am a bit worried it is finishing a bit high but started high too and will leave it go for a bit longer... all up - pretty happy : )

Not too many minerals in mine 😆

But hey I reckon we all have different taste selections and my malt n hop n water may have been quite diffo to yours too?

And yeah am not fussed chasing the esters so that little bit of maltotriose remaining can make something quite nice and a bit different to my usuals : )

How was the Summer over there in the Deep North @ChristinaS1 Christina?  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

First Paley Aley type thing yummo, second TOP Clone on cake yummmmmmmmmmo, and third a 1061 OG Stout on cake... am a bit worried it is finishing a bit high but started high too and will leave it go for a bit longer... all up - pretty happy : )

Not too many minerals in mine 😆

But hey I reckon we all have different taste selections and my malt n hop n water may have been quite diffo to yours too?

And yeah am not fussed chasing the esters so that little bit of maltotriose remaining can make something quite nice and a bit different to my usuals : )

How was the Summer over there in the Deep North @ChristinaS1 Christina?  

Thanks for the yeast update @Graubart.

Our summer was hot and humid, but thankfully (after last year's severe drought) not dry.  Thanks for asking. We had a good amount of rain and the garden went nuts. Busy dealing with the tomato harvest: pasta sauce, salsa, and green tomato pie. How are the temps in your area? Spring well on its way?

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, jamiek86 said:

I guess ill be able to give you feedback on it first then as i plan on doing a euro lager with it next week and compare it to the bavarian lager yeast which was a good taste.

Thanks for the feedback Jamie (via the twilight devil zone) - I now have some of these yeast packs on order and will do a lager with these soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2021 at 10:03 PM, iBooz2 said:

Thanks for the feedback Jamie (via the twilight devil zone) - I now have some of these yeast packs on order and will do a lager with these soon.

Im due to do another one mate but running 2 fermenters for a while and having the week break on night shifts ran out of kegs to fill. Coming into summer brewing more lagers which i like to give time to age makes it hard for keggerator room. I bottled a batch and the one in fermenter now  will be bottled before either trying another one of your aussie lager clones or another bohemian pilsner. Aussie lager came out a bit over at 5.3% but is nice and trying to let age until christmas to make it 8 or 9 weeks in keg so can pick what to do different next time.

It was a partial mash but boiled hops 10 min instead of just a steep at FO and used a morgans aus bitter tin with 2 fresh packs of dubbya at 12 degrees. Speaking of dubbya havent seen much action from the peasant lately not that i read here everyday but my random pop ins i noticed he stepped back a bit.

• Like 1

@jamiek86 (On Parole), ha ha..  I have not done a lager yet with the MJ as I have found the Diamond Lager yeast makes the best pub style lager to date.  Done exact same recipes twice with Dubbya up against DL and the DL won each time IMO as it seemed to pop the PoR hop a bit more.  Will be interested to give MJ a go but with a big 58 L kegmenter there is no urgent need to brew lots of beer as it and the other four FV's produce more than enough.  I have MJ here so next pub style lager I will give it a go and comment then.

Yep IP has moved over into the slow lane to let most of us pass (as we all probably should with our consumption) and I wish him all the best health and enjoyment of his beers while he takes it easy.  Cheers to IP.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 11:00 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

GREAT yeast....

in other news, don't rehydrate....

https://www.brewsnews.com.au/brewerypro/brewing-with-fermentis-e2u-active-dry-yeast/

To prepare active dry yeast for fermentation, it needs to be rehydrated. The standard rehydration procedure involves the sprinkling of the desired amount of yeast in 10 times its weight in sterile water or hopped wort within a specific optimal temperature range for each yeast and leave to rest for a set amount of time under gentle stirring. Next the yeast cream is pitched in the fermenter.

Although this procedure has been proven to be effective, the first results of a new study in which 3 different rehydration procedures, i.e. rehydration at 30°C with moderate agitation, rehydration in 15°P wort at 20°C with moderate agitation and direct pitching without rehydration, indicate no significant differences in fermentation performance for all tested ale yeasts (SafAle™ S-04, SafAle™ US-05, SafAle™ K-97, SafAle™ S-33, SafAle™ WB-06, SafAle™ BE-256, SafAle™ T-58, SafAle™ BE-134) and lager yeasts (SafLager™ S-23, SafLager™ S-189 and SafLager™ W-34/70). At the end of fermentations, no significant differences in concentration of ethanol, residual sugars and volatiles (acetaldehyde, esters, higher alcohols and vicinal diketones) between rehydration procedures were observed (see figure 2). This indicates that the direct pitching procedure is adequate for fermentation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean can you remember getting the sulphur smell from the California Lager yeast? ripping through it fast lost 33 points in 77 hours after dry pitched at 19 degrees brewed on 18.

Definitely.  It is hanging around a bit in the finished beer too.  Although it has only been kegged for 7 days, so no conditioning as such.  Maybe gone in a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Definitely.  It is hanging around a bit in the finished beer too.  Although it has only been kegged for 7 days, so no conditioning as such.  Maybe gone in a few weeks.

thanks Shamus because of the warmer temps I wasn't expecting to get it glad it's normal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gunna brew a kolsch tomorrow and decided to try K97 as opposed to my usual lallemand strain. The yeast starter went bonkers within 15 mins. Hand a Krausen on the starter which is rare even though I just shake the bastards. Came down stairs this morning to a big fluffy boy. Keen to see what she does in the fv.

9804A2AD-567B-4AD2-8E18-AB616115FAAD.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Gunna brew a kolsch tomorrow and decided to try K97 as opposed to my usual lallemand strain. The yeast starter went bonkers within 15 mins. Hand a Krausen on the starter which is rare even though I just shake the bastards. Came down stairs this morning to a big fluffy boy. Keen to see what she does in the fv.

9804A2AD-567B-4AD2-8E18-AB616115FAAD.jpeg

Yup she is a true top cropping strain K97. Used to be my go to for a kolsch. Last kolsch I used the koln yeast and sort of liked it a little better. Be interested to know your take on it though once it's done.

• Like 3

Got a question about a starter: I made up a starter for a Wyeast 1288 with 60g LME in about 600ml of 24 degree water. Same for a Wyeast 1214 using dark malt extract. 
There have been no signs of a krausen on either. 
Both bottles are rock hard but other than that there are no signs of activity.

They’ve been going for 5 days and realistically it won’t be another two until I can use them. 
Q: do they look viable, and is a week too long before pitching?

58A900BC-480D-49A9-8FF5-20C629F7F3FA.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo

I would have expected to see some krausen, especially given the time frame. Must be something happening if they are rock hard though, maybe you would do better if you loosened the caps so they are not under pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I would have expected to see some krausen, especially given the time frame. Must be something happening if they are rock hard though, maybe you would do better if you loosened the caps so they are not under pressure.

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Looks like new yeast at the bottom of the bottles to me. I wouldn't grow yeast under pressure though. Next time do it with loose caps.

I assume you mean 1388. That combo of yeast should be nice. 

Cheers fellas. I will loosen them (slowly this time...). Yes, it is 1388. I am going for an AG Duvel with the 1388, and try bottle fermenting with the F2 yeast from Fermentis. I am still waiting for a reply as to the dosage.

The other is for an AG Westvleteren 12. It is actually a Chimay yeast, but the grain bill for the Westv is easier, and I have the right amount of dark candi for a 19l brew. I also just got a delivery of Abbey Malt, might try that in one of them.

So a week should be OK ? Fingers crossed...

Thanks for the comments !

• Like 1