Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

Let's have a yeast thread shall we?
I have 2 packets of Lallemand Philly Sour that I am looking forward to using soon.
Currently fermenting a wheat beer with Wyeast 3333 which is a particularly stunning and fruity yeast, very very impressed.

• Like 2

Good idea.

I brewed a base beer to use with the Philly Sour this morning. Going to add fruit but undecided as to what at this point. I haven't used the yeast before this batch. It's been staring at me each time I open up the fridge so I thought I should get around to it. Looking forward to it though.

What are you going to use yours for @Green Blob?

Did a bit of a pre and post christmas trip to the LHBS so I should be set for the next 6 or so batches

In the fridge

2 x kveik voss
1 x nottingham
1 x bry97
1 x BE-134 (will use tomorrow on a saison)
Multiple coopers yeast packs

On the go

nottingham

1 pack us05, 1 pack Nottingham, 3 various coopers kit yeast and 2 packs w34/70 waiting for me to try for first time thinking I'll make a strong pilsner in mid 5% and use both packs and brew on 12 for first time instead of 15 to speed it up.

Great idea BTW yeast is the life of beer after all.

Edited by jamiek86

1 hour ago, Popo said:

What are you going to use yours for @Green Blob?

I'll brew the Philly Sour as a very simple wheat/ barley minimal hops brew to see how it tastes.

I have a Berliner fermenting away using https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/berliner-weisse-blend so it will be interesting to compare. That brew went down at the end of October and is kind of hay like at the moment...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mirek Kania said:

Thank you @Shamus O'SeanO'Sean. The package is marked 10718. I do not know how to read it. 

But, I am wondering if this yeasts are close to f.e. s-04 or us-05 or aby other? How to go with fermentation temperature regime?

What I found is just general informations about Ale yeasts. 

Fairly clean at lower temps. Not as clean as us05 but cleaner than s04. I'd ferment at 18c. I'd also fire it up in a starter to make sure the yeast is viable. 2.5 year old yeast depending on storage conditions could range from very good to poor viability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depending on the tin the yeast came from it's a number of combinations of the ale and the lager yeasts.

The ale and the lager strains are still, AFAIK, supplied from Mauri in Toowoomba who do a wide range of bakers, wine, beer and distilling yeasts plus industrial yeasts for biofuels etc.

The ale is Mauribrew 514 and the lager is Mauribrew 497.

You can buy both separately as Morgans ale and Lager yeasts - Morgans is a subsidiary of Coopers.

Both are very neutral. I'd guess that if you buy a packet separately, say from a LHBS, then it would be the 514 by default so if you don't have any extra letters on your pack, treat it as the ale yeast 514. It would be an excellent substitute for S-04. 

Here's the original chart from Coopers - and no doubt still current - packaging codes for the yeast on the tins:

[T]o extend the initial listing to include yeast sachet codes if they were packaged today being the 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- A (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - A+L (26807 PA)
Mexican Cerveza - A+L (26807 MC)
Bavarian Lager - L (26807 P)
Canadian Blonde - A (26807)

Brewmaster Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - A (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)

Premium Selection:- A+L (26807 PS)

Note: A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I think you will be able to fire it up. Make a 200ml starter and build it up from there. 

@MitchBastard Mitchi I recently fired up my ancient saved W3068 with @Greeny1525229549 Greeny's help and it worked out just fine... I would agree with Greeny - get it into a starter and give it a run - I reckon it will fire up meself but have been wrong before.... let us know how you go mate 😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

While we’re on the topic of yeast, has anyone tried to harvest or reuse yeast?

im interested in trying this. Is is just a matter of scooping up the yeast into a jar from the bottom of the FV after bottling? And then using this into your next brew (assuming you want to use that strain in your next brew)? Do you then keep in the fridge? How long does it keep? If you dry hopped do you have to separate the hop material out?
I have been buying a new yeast for each brew, but thought this could save me $5 a brew if it’s easy enough to do...

cheers beery friends 🍻

Edited by Tone boy

I do this all the time. I keep mine for up to maybe three weeks but after that I chuck them.

After I have kegged I just rock and swirl what is left in the fermenter until it's the consistency of runny cream, and run through the tap into a sanitised lab bottle - available from many hb suppliers. From the date on the milk bottle you'll see that I've been doing it for a wee while...  nowadays I've gone full geek and have had a dedicated hops / yeast fridge freezer in the brew house for a few years !!!!

I generally run on the yeast for around four brews then start again.

1524992091_yeastcakes.jpg.4be561c27345d1841dcbcf64c357e318.jpg

Edited by Bribie G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

While we’re on the topic of yeast, has anyone tried to harvest or reuse yeast?

First pitch of a yeast, low gravity, minimal hops.
Swirl the fv and decant the crap after kegging/ bottling.

Keep maybe 4 bottles. I have reused 3 month old yeast no worries.

On the last of the 4 I do the same thing again. Can get at least 8 brews from a liquid yeast this way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Tone boy As the others have said its quiet easy to reuse yeast. 

My opinion but the number of reuses you can get from one pack or vial of liquid yeast is variable and depends on your tastes. There has been 3 strains which I have run to over 20 reuses now. Eventually the yeast will mutate or diverge from the original profile. Might be 5, 10, 20 reuses or more. Also just because it mutates doesn't mean its a bad thing. One of the yeasts is WY1214 which is the Belgian Chimay yeast. This yeast has a totally different flavour profile now than the original. Chimay with a sweet little funky saison taste which I like more actually than the original. Dont be afraid to push the envelope.

• Like 2

Just set off my 7th generation of US-05 on the stir plate tonight.  I will ferment with it next weekend.  It started its life as 15g of dry yeast back in April 2020

I do the Otto Von Blotto method and overbuild the starter and harvest some for the next starter/brewday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Just set off my 7th generation of US-05 on the stir plate tonight.  I will ferment with it next weekend.  It started its life as 15g of dry yeast back in April 2020

I do the Otto Von Blotto method and overbuild the starter and harvest some for the next starter/brewday.

Yeah Kelsey's method is great for keeping a pure strain. 

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah Kelsey's method is great for keeping a pure strain. 

Definitely.  Until I got a second-hand stir-plate and a glass flask, I just harvested from the trub as described above.  Swirl up the left overs in the fermenter and decant through the tap.  Probably only reused up to two, maybe three generations doing that though.  Worked a treat back then.

• Like 1