Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

16 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Cool. Just remember that for your first batch, whether you use liquid lager yeast or one package of dry lager yeast, you will have to make a starter if you want to pitch cold, to build it up to ~400B cells for an average gravity brew. Use a yeast calculator. 

An alternative when cold pitching dry lager yeast is to use 3 packages of yeast, which is expensive.

Most home brewers who use dry lager yeast probably use a single pack and pitch warm. 

Cheers,

Christina.

current one was OG 1.048 pitched on 25 degrees and brang down to 14 over 12 hours 2 packets w34/70 pitched dry and stirred in. even though fermented at 14 that warm pitch gave it cracker start and finished in a week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

current one was OG 1.048 pitched on 25 degrees and brang down to 14 over 12 hours 2 packets w34/70 pitched dry and stirred in. even though fermented at 14 that warm pitch gave it cracker start and finished in a week.

Nice.

The flavour will be a bit cleaner if pitched between 18-20C. Above that and the yeast have more stuff to clean up (diacetyl precursors and fusel alcohols) at the end of fermentation. But lager yeast don't produce much diacetyl or fusel alcohol anyway. 

Same is true for ale yeast: a bit cleaner when pitched 18-20C vs above that. On the other hand, if your wort is warmer than 20C, it is more important to get the yeast in there than to wait while you try cooling it to 20C. 

The lag period will be a little longer pitched 18-20C vs 25C. 

For a kit or partial mash brewer who has done a bit of a boil, keeping a couple of 4L jugs of water in the fridge for topping up purposes goes a long way towards hitting that 18-20C pitching window. Cold water from the tap might not be cold enough to chill 6-8L or boiling wort to target. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

For a kit or partial mash brewer who has done a bit of a boil, keeping a couple of 4L jugs of water in the fridge for topping up purposes goes a long way towards hitting that 18-20C pitching window. Cold water from the tap might not be cold enough to chill 6-8L or boiling wort to target. 

Good tip @ChristinaS1  I’ve been using this method lately as I don’t have a chiller to cool my wort. I generally put the hot pot in a sink with cold water to get the temp down as much as I can. Then I have a 8 litre container with water that has been in the fridge overnight. 
I always sanitise the 8 L container with no rinse sanitiser before adding the water...

seems to work well, but during a hot spell in summer I find I need about 10 litres of refrigerated water

• Like 1

@ChristinaS1 i usually have the fv in fridge the day before half full of water getting cold so being to warm not an issue. this time i had limited time in what days could put a brew on because of work. I had only just cleaned fv from brew just kegged and thought the ice I had was enough to bring temp down but was wrong. Not something was too concerned about as within 2 hours after pitching was already down to 20 degrees before went to work. Like you said I have been told safer to pitch it early above what ideal than to wait.

8 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Fermentis is discontinuing it or the brew shop will no longer carry it?

didn't get that info yet and asked if was because of covid and all that only been sending emails. Sometimes owner will email me back on weekend but limited response until open Monday to Friday but told me recommended buy more than one pack as discontinuing. so got 5 assuming will last years in freezer?

Not sure if anyone else does this but I like to save a portion of a cleanly fermented yeast cake from beer like a lager or something of the sorts, not for re pitching but as yeast nutrient. A table spoon at 10 mins supposedly releases a decent whack of    Free amino nitrogen into your wort which makes your new yeasties V happy. 

48D6ABB9-0B0F-47A3-BE7D-CC324EEA2E2E.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

It’s still on the Fermentis website.

I would have thought it would be one of their biggest sellers.

would think so could just be them or maby the places with plenty stock dont tell anyone to avoid panic buying and only say when get low

@jamiek86  I dare say  your lhbs  is discontinuing the product  , why your lhbs is discontinuing a favoured yeast strain amongst the home brewing fraternity
is just  silly move by them in my opinion

you still will find it else where  

i have over 1/2kg sitting in the fridge   so i will be right

Fermentis i think have been over taken by MJ and Lallemand anyway. While MJ and Lallemand launch new yeasts I don't think they have launched a new one since WB06. If they went out of business I'd probably only get upset losing S04 and W34/70. With the rest of the yeasts there are better dry options IMO

Used US-05 yeast for the first time in my last two brews. Both brews in the bottle after at least 3 weeks conditioning (secondary ferment)  had fluffly white colored small pieces of floating matter near the bottom of the bottle.  I found with this yeast that some of the  the sediment would float out as you poured no matter how careful you managed to be. 

I had followed the same procedure as with past brews. Diacetyl rest for 2 days @ 18 degrees after FG was achieved. CC for 4 days @ 1-2 Deg C.  On the 2nd day of the CC added 100ml of 60 degree water with 1 teaspoon dissolved gelatine. Bottled as per normal and stored bottles @ 18-20 degrees for at least 2 weeks.

Is this indicative of this strain or could I be doing something here to cause the issue? Using the same procedure with other brews I haven't encountered this issue before.

Any help much appreciated.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, Greeny1525229549 said:

I have tried a few and failed the vast majority of the time.

I have never been able to culture commercially available Bavarian Hefeweizen beers' yeast and even wonder if pasteurised for export?

20 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Used US-05 yeast for the first time in my last two brews. Both brews in the bottle after at least 3 weeks conditioning (secondary ferment)  had fluffly white colored small pieces of floating matter near the bottom of the bottle.  I found with this yeast that some of the  the sediment would float out as you poured no matter how careful you managed to be. 

Never had an issue Mick w US05 - does not sound like what u want.

Could it be the Gelatine?

https://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/comment-page-1/

try this link - then search for 'fluffy bottoms' no matter how bad it sounds

HTH

• Like 1

I have to say I get the same effect on bottom of beer bottle as mentioned above but at the end of the day if only tiny amount makes it onto glass who cares. still makes good tasting beer and reliable yeast. I'm going to also be trying verdant IPA yeast when next shipment from brew store arrives heard all good things about this also.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graubart said:
1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Never had an issue Mick w US05 - does not sound like what u want.

https://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/comment-page-1/

try this link - then search for 'fluffy bottoms' no matter how bad it sounds

HTH

That's what I was thinking. The yeast still had plenty of shelf life according to the packets description. There is another thread running on the forum currently discussing Gelatine and it's effect on sediment when introduced at higher temps possibly causing fluffy type floaties.

Maybe water @ 60 degrees is too warm. I'll have a look at the link thanks Graubart.  Not sure I wanna type in fluffy bottoms on the home computer though. The bride might be a bit sus on that me thinks.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mickep said:

That's what I was thinking.

I reckon from what you read it could be the effect of the Gelatine.

I use US05 all the time - and I find it floccs out really well with my All Grain brewing...

image.thumb.png.a07ca9a92023e3271fe1d1533a298e31.png

Yesterday's festivities included beers with W3068 - US05 - and Dubbya 34 (W34/70) and you can see how nice and crystal clear the US05 brew is... 

I think a decent cold crash will help a lot...  I haven't been using any clarifier additions these days and ran out of Whirlfloc like 18 months or more ago... 

Can you chill the bottled beers down for a few days/weeks/months really cold - might help?  (Obviously only if you have space and months is a bit of a pain yes...)

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:
19 minutes ago, Mickep said:

That's what I was thinking.

I reckon from what you read it could be the effect of the Gelatine.

I use US05 all the time - and I find it floccs out really well with my All Grain brewing...

image.thumb.png.a07ca9a92023e3271fe1d1533a298e31.png

Yesterday's festivities included beers with W3068 - US05 - and Dubbya 34 (W34/70) and you can see how nice and crystal clear the US05 brew is... 

I think a decent cold crash will help a lot...  I haven't been using any clarifier additions these days and ran out of Whirlfloc like 18 months or more ago... 

Can you chill the bottled beers down for a few days/weeks/months really cold - might help?  (Obviously only if you have space and months is a bit of a pain yes...)

Thanks GB, very visual confirmation of just how clear the beer can be from using US-05. Maybe I've altered my procedure here and there over the months. I'm just K+K with adjuncts. 

Maybe a longer CC is in order, and definitely taking your advice on board about longer duration of the bottles in the fridge before consuming.... I think I've been storing most in the fridge for 3-5 days but I'll try a bit longer at cooler temps and see how that goes.

Thanks for the feedback mate much appreciated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Maybe a longer CC is in order, and definitely taking your advice on board about longer duration of the bottles in the fridge before consuming.... I think I've been storing most in the fridge for 3-5 days but I'll try a bit longer at cooler temps and see how that goes.

Thanks for the feedback mate much appreciated.

Cheers Mick - just try a few different things - that is the best way to work out the way forward I think mate ; )

I find US05 in general is very good at floccing out... and time and low temp helps a lot. 

And then if you can keep in bottle cold for a good while that will too. 

There is the ol' Chill Haze that can be hard to get rid of but don't think that is your issue here hey mate?

US05 is in general such a well-behaved yeast - but some bag it - as it is very neutral... the yeast itself does not impart much flavour.... which is good if you wanna focus on trying the impact of different malts, hops, mashing regimes, ferment temps/different kits and partial adjuncts etc... 

• Like 1

First time collected yeast slurry from fv good old W34/70 or Dubya? I'll leave that slang for the bearded one. Will be interesting too see how much of it settles down to be yeast i left minimul beer on cake for the swirl and still got these 2 plus left small amount left behind.

Will be in fridge for over 2 weeks before use as doing another eclipse pale ale with Us-05 instead of tin yeast and will make little stronger than last one. Then will do another pilsner with this. 

Now to clean fv and half fill with water to cool for tomorrow's brew.

20210219_123248.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2