Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

good old W34/70 or Dubya? I'll leave that slang for the bearded one.

Good ol' "Dubbya 34" is the CSOS (Coopers Site Official Slang) for Fermentis Saflager W34/70 Weihenstephaner Saccharomyces pastorianus bottom-fermenting yeast as recently advised after lengthy consultation with passionate Pilsner producer @MitchBastard 😜

I suspect being in Aussie we will soon know it only as Dubbya yes... 😬

(Fermentis claims: This famous yeast strain from Weihenstephan in Germany is used worldwide within the brewing industry.)

And an interesting Fermentis graphic below showing the neutrality of Graubartigbräu's favourite yeasts US05 and W 34/70 (much to the disgust of many experienced legendary fruity and spicy Brewers I have had the benefit to get to know on this wonderful community...  a public apology for lack of enthusiasm to try different and more spicy and fruity yeasts.... sorry... but am yet committed to exploration of malts, mash config, ferment config and hops selection and config 🧑‍🔬)

image.thumb.png.bb5de6bee83c1e186b4e1cc89d52bf0d.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

can't notice any difference what might be trub or yeast. Will it settle out more in few weeks and show me different colour on bottom I could consider yeast?

I would be interested in what others think  🤔 but I reckon the light brown stuff settled out on the bottom should have a fair bit of yeast in it... 

I think you are doing Xtract still so should be mostly yeast - or have you done some partialling here... even so... I reckon the sludge on the bottom of the jar would be good to go and the sooner you use it the better I guess?

I think some of the experts might pour off "the beer" and add an appropriate solution (minus oxygen and sterile) to assist in longer keeping times... but I do not claim to be an expert here by any means. 

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

cant notice any difference what might be trub or yeast. Will it settle out more in few weeks and show me different colour on bottom I could consider yeast?

It might settle out some more.  However, most of mine did not.  Although they can get a bit more compacted, I could not really tell a difference between any layers.  Some bits hop matter can settle on the bottom.  This is no biggie because the volume of this stuff is very small.

Yeast is definitely in the lower half.

I leave the beer on top, rather than decanting it off and replacing with a sterile solution.  That does not mean that replacing the beer is wrong, though.  It is just another method.  The beer is reasonably sterile and also contains enough alcohol to keep the yeast pretty safe.  The longest I would have left one of these before reusing was probably two months.  You might get longer, but see what others say.

Do tip off a fair amount of the beer before you pitch.  You can leave enough to allow you to swirl up the yeast to a creamy consistency before pitching.  I do not bother with that.  I tip off as much beer as I can and then add some of the fresh wort from the fermenter and swirl up the yeast in that.  Again, you could do either.  Some tip off the beer and use cooled boiled water to do the swirling.  Lots of options.  I do what works for me.

• Thanks 2

Quick one for the yeast gurus...

I’ve got my first temperature controlled lager in the FV. It’s been sitting on 13.5 for 7 days with the W34/70 yeast. It’s down to 1.010 and looking close to FG , so time for the diacetyl rest. 
What temp do I increase it to? I’m guessing around 16 degrees as lager yeast might throw off flavours if too warm?

Thanks peeps

18 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Quick one for the yeast gurus...

I’ve got my first temperature controlled lager in the FV. It’s been sitting on 13.5 for 7 days with the W34/70 yeast. It’s down to 1.010 and looking close to FG , so time for the diacetyl rest. 
What temp do I increase it to? I’m guessing around 16 degrees as lager yeast might throw off flavours if too warm?

Thanks peeps

Hi TB, I've been doing mostly lagers and I have been fermenting at 12 degrees until a few points off FG and then bump up to 18 degrees for 2-3 days before cold crashing. This has worked for me. I've been using W34/70 as well, great lager yeast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I usually do that when its about 8 points from FG.

I may have left it a little bit late. I was away for a few days. Wasn’t expecting it to hit 1.010 so soon...

Its set on 18 now, and I’ve removed the heat pad from the brew fridge  👍

Cheers Greeny

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

I may have left it a little bit late. I was away for a few days. Wasn’t expecting it to hit 1.010 so soon...

Its set on 18 now, and I’ve removed the heat pad from the brew fridge  👍

Cheers Greeny

Wont make much difference mate. Maybe leave it an extra day in the cleanup phase and it will clean up any diacetyl anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Leave it for a couple of days before CC. 

All good inf above TB mate you are in safe hands...

Only suggestion I would have is that Palmer How to Brew and the @Otto Von Blotto OVB Lager/Pils methodology -- which I like -- is a slower ramping down to Cold Crash after your DiAc rest.

So going down 2-3 degrees a day till you hit 2 or 3 degrees and then leave it sit for a week...  so just a slower cooling period. 

That allows the yeast to do a clean-up as they are encouraged to do so as the temp drops... sorta makes sense to me.

Just a thought - many ways to the top of the mountain 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Ok good to know @Graubart GB thanks. Timely advice. And if it’s good enough for the lager king OVB it’s good enough for me. 
TBH the way my fridge is struggling in the heat I can’t see it coming down any quicker anyway!

where u located? I thought it been quite a cooler than usual summer

48 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I’m up in Alexandra Jamie. It’s hotter and drier than Melbourne usually. It’s been 29-30 the last few days. 32 today. But the fridge is in the tin shed so....you know how that goes 😂

yes mine same situation never thought about how hard it working not in there much 🍻

Hi guys,

I've been reading this thread with great interest which brings me to my question:

I was making this amber ale a few times:

TC Family Secret Amber Ale

some dark crystal

1kg BE3 and some hops

I always used the kit yeast only with very good results

Now I would like to replace the Amber Ale Extract with the Aussie Pale Ale,  and was wondering if this tin yeast would be just as good or if I should replace it with say US-05?

Oh and this will be a triple batch so I want to be specially sure

Edited by Prost
added line
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Prost said:

Now I would like to replace the Amber Ale Extract with the Aussie Pale Ale,  and was wondering if this tin yeast would be just as good or if I should replace it with say US-05?

Oh and this will be a triple batch so I want to be specially sure

Welcome Prost!

Oh and this will be a triple batch so I want to be specially sure:  To be sure to be sure to be sure?!  😬

Mmmm if it is a MONSTER brew... maybe all three kit tin yeasts plus a pack of US05 for good measure? Or do you make yeast starters @Prost?

You there @Greeny1525229549 Greeny?  ... any thoughts on big volume using the three Coopers Aussie Palte Kit Yeasts plus a pack of US05 - or is that a foolish suggestion on my part mate? 🙃

Edited by Graubart

@Prost I'm a bit confused you wish to use a can of Aussie ale instead of family secret with box of be3? triple batch you add 3 lots of everything with high volume? you need to be really clear with these things how much of what how many litres etc.

In simple terms the kit yeast with a tin and box of any brew enhancer is plenty. Depending on what temps you brew on the Us-05 will give different flavours compared to the kit yeast. The family secret compared to aus pale ale also have different kit yeast the aus is half ale half lager.

39 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Welcome Prost!

Oh and this will be a triple batch so I want to be specially sure:  To be sure to be sure to be sure?!  😬

Mmmm if it is a MONSTER brew... maybe all three kit tin yeasts plus a pack of US05 for good measure? Or do you make yeast starters @Prost?

You there @Greeny1525229549 Greeny?  ... any thoughts on big volume using the three Coopers Aussie Palte Kit Yeasts plus a pack of US05 - or is that a foolish suggestion on my part mate? 🙃

Cheers, yeah just wanna make sure it turns out alright.

Thanks for the suggestion and no yeast starters yet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Prost I'm a bit confused you wish to use a can of Aussie ale instead of family secret with box of be3? triple batch you add 3 lots of everything with high volume? you need to be really clear with these things how much of what how many litres etc.

In simple terms the kit yeast with a tin and box of any brew enhancer is plenty. Depending on what temps you brew on the Us-05 will give different flavours compared to the kit yeast. The family secret compared to aus pale ale also have different kit yeast the aus is half ale half lager.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes basically 3 lots of everything in a 60l fermenter.

I am aware the 2 tin yeasts are different.

Hence my question thinking the pale ale yeast may be inferior to the family secret one and also making such a big batch, would the amount vary at all?

This batch will be brewed without temp control at around 25 Degrees (hopefully)

51 minutes ago, Prost said:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes basically 3 lots of everything in a 60l fermenter.

I am aware the 2 tin yeasts are different.

Hence my question thinking the pale ale yeast may be inferior to the family secret one and also making such a big batch, would the amount vary at all?

This batch will be brewed without temp control at around 25 Degrees (hopefully)

perhaps you would be better off with 2 packs us-05 then and only make to 50 litres to allow for big krausen? not sure should be very malty and full of body probably better to avoid it over flowing im not sure. I would probably only use 2 tins pale ale and 3 brew enhancer. 1 us-05 and one kit yeast but that's up to you

Edited by jamiek86

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

perhaps you would be better off with 2 packs us-05 then and only make to 50 litres to allow for big krausen? not sure should be very malty and full of body probably better to avoid it over flowing im not sure. I would probably only use 2 tins pale ale and 3 brew enhancer. 1 us-05 and one kit yeast but that's up to you

Hmmm, now I am confused🤯😅