Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

10 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yeah

Nah 🙂

Do you have that advert in Vic? 🤔

Seems it just a point or two due to Maltotriose... and @Tone boy Toner has had similar experience w Londy Lally. 

Think all is good - my only current concern is that it seems Londy Lally is a poor flocculator so I am gunna hafta chill chill chill 🙂

image.thumb.png.da6055912614de1f44544769388f37d3.png

Yep I chilled mine Graubster and it cleared really well 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stquinto said:

Oki doki...  so that concludes nicely for me mate... I shall chill down now and then backfill with hopefully a Theaksty ol Pec Clone

@Graubart mate here you go - the real thing :

old_perc_2.thumb.jpg.a7c5e2cd3e7ac72f268f29073ea3956c.jpg

it's in a Black Sheep glass - the bloke from Theakston's who set up his own brewerey after it got sold to Scottish and Newcastle, or some such lot

old_perc.thumb.jpg.b8c9a3e671e9813aefc782db3277b412.jpg

and if anyone is interested I just got sent this (Tim Taylor's Landlord clone recipe)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone used the Mangrove Jacks M84 Bohemian Lager Yeast and can give me some feedback?  Seems pretty economical when they say / recommend 1 x 10 g sachet can do up to a 23 L of wort.  That is a very low pitching rate for a lager and at that rate is somewhere around the rate of US-05 for ales. 

At $6.95 each not bad considering I have to throw 2 x $7.75 packs of Dubbya at 23 L so this would halve my initial brew yeast cost and can harvest from then on.

Mangrove Jacks M84 Bohemian Lager Yeast.PNG

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

That is a very low pitching rate for a lager and at that rate is somewhere around the rate of US-05 for ales. 

Mate despite all the HYPE I have NEVER used two packs of dry yeast Dubbya 34 in ANY of my 20-23L AG Lager Worts and even when SG is high...

I reckon MJ have just worked out what I do - ie one pack - is just plain fine... 

Have you @iBooz2 Boozer ever done a ONE PACK DUBBYA brew?

a) Direct Sprinkle or 

b) Starter?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, stquinto said:

in the bunker no-one can hear you scream 😉

When I'm locked in my room
I just want to scream
And I know what they mean
(One more day of eating and sleeping)

Speak to me, speak to me
I'm not spoken for, I'm ready to talk
Look at me, look at me
I've been broken up and shaken down
Speak to me, speak to me
I'm at the edge of myself I'm dying to talk
Look at me, won't you look at me
Back once more at the point of no return

I just want to scream
Only the strong
🏴‍☠️and MO
Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

@iBooz2 I actually have that one to do next but the mj bavarian lager yeast was good. I think if pitch at 18 and drop down one pack Is ok. because I collect slurry and re use twice I don't mind using 2 and pitching low for better results. @Graubart does starters most time which is like 2 packs. I watched a video where only pitching one at low temp might take longer to kick into action and the lag phase is where things could go wrong.

However one could be fine if you want to try it but for peace of mind 2 and collecting slurry puts me at ease.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart does starters most time which is like 2 packs.

Mmmm not really... yeah narrrgh... I do sometimes do starters and more in the past... but I have really moved across to Sprinkle one Pack first time... then backfill with other brews to get three out of one dry pack...

But I have never pitched two packs straight up due to expense and the beer has been great... 

I reckon with Lagers and Pilsners a bigger worry is poor oxygenation prior to pitch. 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Graubart said:
I just want to scream
(One more day of eating and sleeping)

Speak to me, speak to me
I'm not spoken for, I'm ready to talk
Look at me, look at me
I've been broken up and shaken down
Speak to me, speak to me
I'm at the edge of myself I'm dying to talk
Look at me, won't you look at me
Back once more at the point of no return

I just want to scream
Only the strong
🏴‍☠️and MO

@Graubart mate, the Lord Tennyson of the Mountains 👍

Poet, Scholar, and Meisterbrewer. Not bad to put on your headstone, eh ?

• Haha 1

Just now, stquinto said:

@Graubart mate, the Lord Tennyson of the Mountains 👍

Poet

I did lend the above lyrics from MO 🙂

(MO = Midnight Oil the aussie band)

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Not bad to put on your headstone, eh ?

Hopefully will be around a bit longer 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Mate despite all the HYPE I have NEVER used two packs of dry yeast Dubbya 34 in ANY of my 20-23L AG Lager Worts and even when SG is high...

I reckon MJ have just worked out what I do - ie one pack - is just plain fine... 

Have you @iBooz2 Boozer ever done a ONE PACK DUBBYA brew?

a) Direct Sprinkle or 

b) Starter?

I have always used 2 packs of Dubbya when I am solely using W-34/70 yeast fresh, dry sprinkled and not reclaimed or recycled from previous batches.  First time the other day to use two packs in a 2.5 L starter which in turn is going into a 4 L second step starter for my maiden 58 L Kegementer brew.  

If my batches have the kit yeast plus the W-34/70 then I only use 1 pack of Dubbya as an addition.  For example European lager kit yeast + 1 pack Dubbya, 86 Days Pilsner kit yeast + 1 pack Dubbya, Crown lager kit yeast + 1 pack Dubbya.

You had me scrambling to check if I had gotten the pitching rate wrong all this time so went and double checked the specification PDF of W-34/70 and it is definitely 100g/100L so 1 g/L so a 23 L batch should require 2 packs.

But you are the Dubbya God oh mighty one Graubart so who am I to argue ha ha.  🙇‍♂️     If you find one is enough then I might drop the pitch rate down to one and see for myself.

Plus you just reminded me I need to think about how I am going to aerate the wort in the big 58 L Kegmenter.  Might have to buy an aerating wand / stone as this big bad boy only has a 4” opening and it’s going to be hard to whisk up by hand.  Might invite @kmar92 into the discussion here as to how its done and get some ideas.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

If you find one is enough then I might drop the pitch rate down to one and see for myself.

Yes mate it sorta just happened that way as I was grumbly about buying two packs for just one brew... 😬

And it sorta just happened to work out 🙂

But then again I have brewed lotsa lagers/pils with slurry or backfill onto a big fat yeast cake 😋

26 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

how I am going to aerate the wort i

And yeah I reckon aeration is super important - and the more so w Lager Yeasts - and - beer in high solution OG... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

I have always used 2 packs of Dubbya when I am solely using W-34/70 yeast fresh, dry sprinkled and not reclaimed or recycled from previous batches.  First time the other day to use two packs in a 2.5 L starter which in turn is going into a 4 L second step starter for my maiden 58 L Kegementer brew.  

If my batches have the kit yeast plus the W-34/70 then I only use 1 pack of Dubbya as an addition.  For example European lager kit yeast + 1 pack Dubbya, 86 Days Pilsner kit yeast + 1 pack Dubbya, Crown lager kit yeast + 1 pack Dubbya.

You had me scrambling to check if I had gotten the pitching rate wrong all this time so went and double checked the specification PDF of W-34/70 and it is definitely 100g/100L so 1 g/L so a 23 L batch should require 2 packs.

But you are the Dubbya God oh mighty one Graubart so who am I to argue ha ha.  🙇‍♂️     If you find one is enough then I might drop the pitch rate down to one and see for myself.

Plus you just reminded me I need to think about how I am going to aerate the wort in the big 58 L Kegmenter.  Might have to buy an aerating wand / stone as this big bad boy only has a 4” opening and it’s going to be hard to whisk up by hand.  Might invite @kmar92 into the discussion here as to how its done and get some ideas.

I have only used 1 pack of W34/70 sprinkled. Couple of things though - when I do lagers under pressure I ferment at high temperatures sometimes up to 24° - 25°, works well @15psi. Also I only have the little brother of your kegmenter @iBooz2 so usually 21 - 23lt batch. At the temps that I do lagers at, it is not necessary to to a diacetyl rest as I saw discussed earlier. I just let it ferment till it gets to FG and then crash it. When the crash is done I do a closed transfer from the kegmenter to the keg using gravity with 1 line connected between the gas posts of the kegmenter and keg and 1 line connected between the liquid post of the kegmenter and keg with a floating dip tube, takes a while but no CO2 required probably c.40mins for a 19lt kegs worth.

A downside of kegmenters is that with only a 4" tri-clover opening it is problematic to get any of the yeast cake out for future use. I guess @iBooz2 to get that yeast you would need some sort of way to suck it out with the 58lt kegmenter as it would be difficult to reach in that far to the bottom for harvesting purposes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Yes mate it sorta just happened that way as I was grumbly about buying two packs for just one brew... 😬

And it sorta just happened to work out 🙂

But then again I have brewed lotsa lagers/pils with slurry or backfill onto a big fat yeast cake 😋

And yeah I reckon aeration is super important - and the more so w Lager Yeasts - and - beer in high solution OG... 

I’ve done quite a few w34/70’s with 1 packet started first 24hrs at 18 then dropped to 12 worked well. Had one that had a bit of sulphur but that was after a week in the bottle but disappeared and turned into a nice beer. Done my last two pilsners with starters turned out really nice and used the yeast cake for a Baltic Porter 1073 demolished it. Interesting though the last starter smelt a bit cider/vinegary which I read is common. So I thought my process and sanitation was good, pitched it (was watching it like a new born) and turned out really nice. I have also read you shouldn’t do a starter with dry yeast but it’s worked for me and I don’t want to buy two packets of yeast for every lager so I will continue. I also tried S189 which I am now a fan of 🍻 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

A downside of kegmenters is that with only a 4" tri-clover opening it is problematic to get any of the yeast cake out for future use. I guess @iBooz2 to get that yeast you would need some sort of way to suck it out with the 58lt kegmenter as it would be difficult to reach in that far to the bottom for harvesting purposes.

I have thought about that part and come up with the idea of buying a SS yabby pump from a fishing tackle store.  Narh only kidding but I will need something like that and may have to make up a SS tube, a syringe like plunger with "o" rings to suck out 500 ml at a time then squirt the yeast cake into mason jars.  You get the picture.  Just hope no yabbies end up in my mason jars or there will be big trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I have also read you shouldn’t do a starter with dry yeast but it’s worked for me and I don’t want to buy two packets of yeast for every lager so I will continue.

I've also read that and it's the biggest load of BS. 1 packet in a starter is exactly the same as 2 packs into the wort. The only difference is the dollars out of your pocket and into fermentis/mangrove jacks/lallemands pocket. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Brew A on the go at the moment with my first full volume Coopers Commercial Yeast. Last time I lost load of it by not opening the bottle carefully enough 🤦‍♂️

I wanted to have a go at the Australian IPA recipe, which uses a CCY and/or some Ale yeast. 

Has anyone collected the yeast from a CCY after a brew, and if so, is it viable a second time ? I've seen on the thread a lot of you re-use dubbya, but dunno if this works for all yeasts, especially the Coopers Commercial. I wanted to collect it from the Brew A, and use it, along with the kit yeast.

4 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I've got a Brew A on the go at the moment with my first full volume Coopers Commercial Yeast. Last time I lost load of it by not opening the bottle carefully enough 🤦‍♂️

I wanted to have a go at the Australian IPA recipe, which uses a CCY and/or some Ale yeast. 

Has anyone collected the yeast from a CCY after a brew, and if so, is it viable a second time ? I've seen on the thread a lot of you re-use dubbya, but dunno if this works for all yeasts, especially the Coopers Commercial. I wanted to collect it from the Brew A, and use it, along with the kit yeast.

I'm up to re-use #10. The yeast loves it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lettucegrove said:

I'm up to re-use #10. The yeast loves it.

Cheers mate. Just realised in the Brew A there's a Coopers Commercial as well as a S-33. Dunno what that leftovers would be like to use in an Australian IPA with Coopers Commercial and/or Ale yeast.

19 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@iBooz2 any feedback on bohemian lager yeast yet? that's going to be my next pilsner yeast I use had it for about a month waiting its turn

No not used it yet,  I buggered up my brewing schedule by slipping in another Coopers Sparkling Ale clone in front of my next batch of lagers (80 L).  Also have two tins of Golden Crown lager coming up to their use by dates so going to do a side by side hop experiment with these next.

After they are all out of the way will do a brew with the MJ Bohemian Lager yeast to sus it out.