Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

10 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Ha ha ha ha that would never work in the Captains household. 
She’d probably say something like “well how about I just don’t burn all your guitars on the front lawn?”

Ahh... you have hostages she can use against you. 😄

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Ha ha ha ha that would never work in the Captains household. 
She’d probably say something like “well how about I just don’t burn all your guitars on the front lawn?”

My wife would never do that to me because....

She bought me all my guitars.

Cheers - AL

• Haha 3

So brewed and pitched today. Was a good brew day. A tad over 4 hours from filling the kettle to finishing clean up.  Took 15 minutes to chill the wort from boiling to 30c with my immersion chiller and only 35 litres of water to get to 70c.  Pitched the slurry of Voss into the wort as I filled the fermenter. Pressure started to build after 3 hours, @30c,  and 5 hours later it is highly active and the fermenter is now sitting at 12.5psi.  The use of pressure ferment and Voss Kviek have really been a positive change to my beer making processes.  From my experience this ferment will be over in 48 hours and be in the keg by the weekend to condition.   

• Like 4

Small batch looking at 12l for fermenter. Started 3:30pm but shouldnt take long to do. Anglo Saxon IPA. Will post recipe later. Spur of the moment brew using up some grain dregs.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Brew day again Saturday, might do the falconer's flight pale ale. I only have a range for the alpha percentage so might just keep them for all the late additions and use magnum or whatever for a bit of early bittering. 

Mmmmm love FF. 
I reckon a cashmere Pale with a FF dry hop would be nice

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

First time I've used it, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Cube and dry hops for sure, along with the usual flameout and ten minute boil. 

Wonder if the blend changes every year like some of the other blends do....,,

I don't doubt that they change up the blend and proportions but I do think there is 2 types. One has simcoe, citra and sorachi ace, as part of it, the other is all c hops, from my research (looking for hops to buy, the noblest of studies).

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Is FF hops the Falconers Flight or something else?

Yep, Falconers Flight.

I abbreviated it to FF because, based on this thread, it seemed like the cool thing to do.

• Haha 5

I am brewing an Ochre Ale. I want it to have some piney/dankness aroma and flavour to go with the citrus and grapefruit aromas and flavours I am expecting and to balance out some sweetness from the malt. Earthy but bright, like spring in Australia.

Screenshot_20200509-095756_Firefox.thumb.jpg.694678dcdb890392b50522f4959bb07e.jpg

Screenshot_20200509-095812_Firefox.jpg

• Like 7

First brew day on the Brewzilla and started with a ESB.

Not too bad actually. Not real sure on the numbers when I set the profile so I just went with the defaults. Ended up 5 points light at 1.055 and slightly low by 1l into the fermenter, which I probably could have made up had I tipped it a bit.

Mash was a little thick so probably should have increased my strike water by a few litres, but I left it for a few minutes and was then able to recirc fairly slowly.

Nice clean and clear wort though.

7E495F34-6614-4C4A-96CF-88E9B81C6A0A.jpeg

73263E6C-95A3-4D9D-B466-83D37D5C752E.jpeg

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 4

Hoppy Coopers Pale put down yesterday. 
Coopers Pale Tin

1KG LDME

300g floral honey

250 g medium crystal malt, cold steeped

25g citra 15 min boil

1/4 tsp Irish moss

25g citra and 50 g US cashmere hot steeped for 30 mins

US 05 pitched at 16 degrees

Fingers crossed! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Norris! said:

Earthy but bright, like spring in Australia.

Nice work Norris.  Good stuff.  That is cool.

Cheers mate and thanks for the help on the malts for the Norriega house Pale Ale recipe ; )

• Thanks 1

Brew Day today.... and then I can take the spent malts in to me Horsey mate at work tomorrow... An Altbier of sorts... Pilsener Malt as base malt... bit of wheat and then some dark malts added in late to reduce astringency as Palmer suggests when brewing with rainwater/soft waters... done a bit of a montage up too for those who were interested in the clunky old way of doing things/process/equipment...

image.thumb.png.05ec129a1849724d3e93edaed96fed9d.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Brew Day today.... and then I can take the spent malts in to me Horsey mate at work tomorrow... An Altbier of sorts... Pilsener Malt as base malt... bit of wheat and then some dark malts added in late to reduce astringency as Palmer suggests when brewing with rainwater/soft waters... done a bit of a montage up too for those who were interested in the clunky old way of doing things/process/equipment...

image.thumb.png.05ec129a1849724d3e93edaed96fed9d.png

Hey BB I would be very careful feeding the grains to the horses if at all, they are very susceptible to guts aches when eating different foods to their normal diet especially a large amount of grain that has been wet for sometime(going mouldy) and also roasted. Don’t know how experienced your mate is maybe have a read up to check. Colic can be fatal in horses and also a large vet bill if they get it even mild. If you do it all the time no worries just wanted to let you know to be safe. Cows and chooks etc no worries 😉 Looked like a good day rainwater is awesome in pilsners😋

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, Ben 10 said:

Can I be critical?

IBU perhaps a little too high for the alcohol content? Maybe....

@Ben 10 

I have just started drinking this beer now. It has a nice level of bitterness in the same ballpark as the vast majority of my full-strength Pale Ales at the glass, & is in no way excessively bitter. With enough aromatics & just enough malt flavour to carry it, I doubt most would pick it as a mid-strength beer on sampling. The end IBU number is a little deceiving given the main bittering hop used, the technique used for that main bittering addition, & the hop entry points. 

The best mid-strength beers to drink are those that cast the illusion that they are not mid-strength.

The only thing I would change from the recipe I brewed is to not use the Carapils, & up the medium crystal to that combined weight. I only used the Carapils because it needed to be used up.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1