Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Norris. I hope you are well. 🙂

IMHO grain percentages are only a guide to producing known styles of beer. Many other aspects of the beer recipes' construction can affect the malt flavour outcome of the final beer produced at the glass. Things like yeast selection, final aimed ABV% (dilution factor), wort yield efficiencies from the grain, hopping levels etc..etc.

image.thumb.png.d2d18d803e82f6179afeb9f27f5c6fde.png

The above beer recipe from Brew Dog is a lesson in brewing beer. It will also help to dispel many preconceptions you may already have, & release your mind from all those ideals that have been rammed down your throat by those who claim to know better.

For those that can't be bothered doing the maths, this recipe contains 33.38% of non-base malts, of which 31.32% are classed as crystal malts.

Edit: Not to mention the theoretical IBU of 198! 

Free Your Mind

Cheers,

Lusty.

That beer looks interesting. I would drink it, just out of curiosity. I have been pleasantly surprised by several beers and styles just by doing that.

Cheers for the heads up

Norris

• Like 1

I did say PERHAPS.
FWH makes little difference.
I have made several pacific ales... 

Yes, you know hops and partials.... I think you should try side by side with the other no FWH and push the Simcoe late.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Norris. I hope you are well. 🙂

IMHO grain percentages are only a guide to producing known styles of beer. Many other aspects of the beer recipes' construction can affect the malt flavour outcome of the final beer produced at the glass. Things like yeast selection, final aimed ABV% (dilution factor), wort yield efficiencies from the grain, hopping levels etc..etc.

image.thumb.png.d2d18d803e82f6179afeb9f27f5c6fde.png

The above beer recipe from Brew Dog is a lesson in brewing beer. It will also help to dispel many preconceptions you may already have, & release your mind from all those ideals that have been rammed down your throat by those who claim to know better.

For those that can't be bothered doing the maths, this recipe contains 33.38% of non-base malts, of which 31.32% are classed as crystal malts.

Edit: Not to mention the theoretical IBU of 198! 

Free Your Mind

Cheers,

Lusty.

Not even a blue pill or a red pill would make me buy that. Brew dog have a lot of good recipes and i have made a few of them. But some are just stupid. Sink the bismarck which is a 30 odd percent and this one too. Fake double IPA. Cant wait for my fake ferrari that goes like a hyundai to arrive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

...FWH makes little difference.

Typical AG brewing practices don't usually allow for shorter boil times of 30mins following a FWH steep, so you will likely boil off more flavour/aroma IMHO.

I have made several pacific ales... 

90% of what I make are pale ales. I just make them many different ways.

...I think you should try side by side with the other no FWH and push the Simcoe late.

The brew was comprised mainly of what I had laying around ingredient-wise. I may add some additional Simcoe to the dry hop, but not a heap.

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Not even a blue pill or a red pill would make me buy that. Brew dog have a lot of good recipes and i have made a few of them. But some are just stupid. Sink the bismarck which is a 30 odd percent and this one too. Fake double IPA. Cant wait for my fake ferrari that goes like a hyundai to arrive.

That's a real shame Greeny, I would have pegged you for one in the more open minded column. 😮

I've actually brewed a low ABV% beer recipe similar to the Brew Dog link I gave, & it was delicious! So much so that I wouldn't have though it was a low ABV% beer. Mainly due to the dilution factor of the more sweeter grains that typically then just heighten basic malt flavours.

Each to their own though.

Guess you swallowed the blue pill. 😜

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

That's a real shame Greeny, I would have pegged you for one in the more open minded column. 😮

I've actually brewed a low ABV% beer recipe similar to the Brew Dog link I gave, & it was delicious! So much so that I wouldn't have though it was a low ABV% beer. Mainly due to the dilution factor of the more sweeter grains that typically then just heighten basic malt flavours.

Each to their own though.

Guess you swallowed the blue pill. 😜

Lusty.

To a point lusty im open minded. Spending 350gm of hops on a light beer.. nah sorry mate. I'll make a real double IPA. But as you say. Each to there own. Got to say though I look at there pdf fairly often though and other than the extreme I like how they push the envelope.

Tomorrow I'm throwing 215g of hops at a 3.6% hoppy mid. My winter mid strength inspired by the Little Creatures Rodgers. While the beer itself it not the same its the LCR its my attempt to brew a hoppy mid strength without tasting like it lacks of body and character. All versions I've brewed so far have the same hops. EKG pellets for bittering then Cascade and Chinook for flavour.

This versions grain bill is a little different with choc wheat malt. Should be tasty.

1.60 kg               Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)        Grain         1        45.8 %        
1.20 kg               Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC)    Grain         2        34.4 %        
0.40 kg               Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)   Grain         3        11.5 %        
0.25 kg               Carabohemian (180.0 EBC)                 Grain         4        7.2 %         
0.04 kg               Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (1100.0 EBC) Grain         5        1.1 %         
15.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop           6        10.7 IBUs     
100.00 g              Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  5.0  Hop           7        6.9 IBUs      
100.00 g              Chinook [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  5.0 Hop           8        12.6 IBUs     
2.0 pkg               London ESB Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml]  Yeast      9        -        

I couldn't source any Maris Otter so I had to go with Gladfield American Ale Malt. Both Cascade and Chinook are our hop flowers.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Maurice79 said:

I couldn't source any Maris Otter so I had to go with Gladfield American Ale Malt. Both Cascade and Chinook are our hop flowers.

Given your outrageous plentiful supply of home grown beautiful hops... Congrats - legendary - and sennnnsational - envy of us all

So maybe you need to extend your back yard and grow some Barley as well Maurice?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Given your outrageous plentiful supply of home grown beautiful hops... Congrats - legendary - and sennnnsational - envy of us all

So maybe you need to extend your back yard and grow some Barley as well Maurice?

Not enough room for Barley. We do have lots of fruit and veg though. Various citrus, berries and the lawn needed for our kelpie. We are very lucky here due to rainfall and good planning as we could grow enough food for a year if we plan right. Its not all for us as we try to plant for the natural environment to attract bees and native wildlife.  

The hops are the standout due to little to no pests or diseases here. After 3 years of growing the flavours are starting to come through and are unique to the area. Only downside is I've lost my fermenting chest freezer. Luckily the overnight temps are less than 10c here now so easy to brew just using a heat belt and temp controller.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Typical AG brewing practices don't usually allow for shorter boil times of 30mins following a FWH steep,

MMM, different to a 30 minute boil? 
Unsure if there is actually anything gained from FWH

Recipe: Catharina Sour Acerola
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Wild Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          50.0 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.63 L        
5.00 g           Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          4.9 IBUs      -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [50 Yeast         5          -             -             
1.66 L           Acerola (Secondary)                              Flavor        6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

MMM, different to a 30 minute boil? 
Unsure if there is actually anything gained from FWH

"First wort hopping (FWH) is when you add a large portion of the finishing hops to the boil kettle as the wort is transferred from the mash or lauter tun. As the boil kettle fills up, the hops steep in the wort and release those important oils and resins.

Normally, the aromatic oils are insoluble and evaporate during the boil. However, by letting the hops steep in the wort before the boil, the oils have more time to oxidize to more soluble compounds, which means there’s a greater chance those oils are kept in the beer during the boil and deliver additional hop complexity in the finished product."

Combine that theory with a 30min boil where only approx. 50% isomerisation occurs, & you have to be winning IMHO.

At last count I've done 26 brews using the technique, with different hops, different time frames etc. The isolation brews I did with the technique proved it's worth to me, & these shorter 30min boil versions, have yielded the most pleasing results.

For sheer efficiency of boil based hops, I feel it has merit.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Yeah, I don't know about the outcome of FWHig either. I use to think that it did make a difference, then I did a few experiments by doing the same beer recipe with and without and I really didn't notice the difference. I think my perceptions were coerced into thinking there was a difference. 

Im still, up in the air about it. I guess if its worth doing (for you) then sure, do what works for you. I just don't know if there's much difference for me and my set up.

4 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

@Ben 10

The 1.66L, of Acerola, Is that still off your trees? and is that pureed? Juiced?

Yes, unsure how much there is, I just threw a number at it. I have 3 yoghurt buckets full. I will attempt to juice them, last time I cooked and squashed but I think I lost some of the flavour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yes, unsure how much there is, I just threw a number at it. I have 3 yoghurt buckets full. I will attempt to juice them, last time I cooked and squashed but I think I lost some of the flavour.

Yeah, cooking def would loose some of that pungency, no doubt.

Oh well, look forward to hearing the results

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

image.png.f5eec37a26df6520648db35e97d5b4d0.png

Hey there Benny - so mate this is nearly going to be a bit of a version of a Wheat Beer hey... from a malt bill perspective...

But with the Saison yeasties... and home grown Acerola which is a pretty amazing add-in...

Nice stuff.

Cheers mate.

BB

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey there Benny - so mate this is nearly going to be a bit of a version of a Wheat Beer hey... from a malt bill perspective...

But with the Saison yeasties... and home grown Acerola which is a pretty amazing add-in...

Nice stuff.

Cheers mate.

BB

BUT. Brought to the boil then cubed. Tomorrow I will add IBS capsules to lacto sour it. Then in three or four days I will boil it again this time adding the hops.

The I will cube it again and ferment sometime with saison yeast. Then when ferment is nearly done add the Acerola.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

BUT. Brought to the boil then cubed. Tomorrow I will add IBS capsules to lacto sour it. Then in three or four days I will boil it again this time adding the hops.

The I will cube it again and ferment sometime with saison yeast. Then when ferment is nearly done add the Acerola.

Gold.  Did you do high Wheat Content on your last Acerola Sour?