Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

The only thing I would change from the recipe I brewed is to not use the Carapils, & up the medium crystal to that combined weight. I only used the Carapils because it needed to be used up.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

So I find medium crystal to taste more sweeter than Carapils. Maybe it’s just because it’s more caramel notes and I perceive it that way.
Do you think it’d be more sweet using all medium crystal? So therefore possibly too bitter? 

Edited by The Captain!!

23 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Hey BB I would be very careful feeding the grains to the horses if at all, they are very susceptible to guts aches when eating different foods to their normal diet especially a large amount of grain that has been wet for sometime(going mouldy) and also roasted. Don’t know how experienced your mate is maybe have a read up to check. Colic can be fatal in horses and also a large vet bill if they get it even mild. If you do it all the time no worries just wanted to let you know to be safe. Cows and chooks etc no worries 😉 Looked like a good day rainwater is awesome in pilsners😋

Cheers Cob. Appreciate your concern mate.  Truly Spoken.  And yeah for sure mate... these nags only get the finest of grub.  My spent grain product must be cooled after cooking (i.e. cooking = the mash) and then delivered promptly the next day.  Mr Horsey blends the spent grain with his own cooked grub and 'his mates' love the stuff.  It's very easy to notice if the grain has 'turned' ie fermenting itself... when it goes to compost. Summer is harder to keep it in good shape.  Autumn n Winter... take the lid off to empty into his bucket the next morning... it smells blllllooooody beautiful... he says he has to stop himself from tucking in ha ha.

The very first time we tried this... Horsey man first only fed the Pony (he says it is a Pig).... which loved it and was all good... then after that tried on the horses... again they loved it and it was all good.  He has been doing neddies all his life and his Pa was a Blacksmith..... he is very very careful.  So now I brew Sunday and race in madly on a Monday to make sure he gets it fresh ha ha.  As even 'the Pig' won't eat sour/fermenting spent grain. And he says the neds don't seem to mind whether a Stout or a Pilsener Malt mix... as I thought dark roast would not be preferred... but it does not seem to make a difference he says...  And the grain is removed before the hop boil so no hop contam there either.  Dunno what blend % he makes it up to with his own cracked and cooked grain but is very appreciative when I bring it.... and it's nice to know that the byproduct is being put to good use.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The best mid-strength beers to drink are those that cast the illusion that they are not mid-strength.

Agreed.  I am currently drinking a simple kit and kilo that came in at 3.8%.  You would not know.  It had a 15 steep of Willamette.  It has a nice aroma and a sweet amber-ish flavour.  It will be sad when this one is finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers Cob. Appreciate your concern mate.  Truly Spoken.  And yeah for sure mate... these nags only get the finest of grub.  My spent grain product must be cooled after cooking (i.e. cooking = the mash) and then delivered promptly the next day.  Mr Horsey blends the spent grain with his own cooked grub and 'his mates' love the stuff.  It's very easy to notice if the grain has 'turned' ie fermenting itself... when it goes to compost. Summer is harder to keep it in good shape.  Autumn n Winter... take the lid off to empty into his bucket the next morning... it smells blllllooooody beautiful... he says he has to stop himself from tucking in ha ha.

The very first time we tried this... Horsey man first only fed the Pony (he says it is a Pig).... which loved it and was all good... then after that tried on the horses... again they loved it and it was all good.  He has been doing neddies all his life and his Pa was a Blacksmith..... he is very very careful.  So now I brew Sunday and race in madly on a Monday to make sure he gets it fresh ha ha.  As even 'the Pig' won't eat sour/fermenting spent grain. And he says the neds don't seem to mind whether a Stout or a Pilsener Malt mix... as I thought dark roast would not be preferred... but it does not seem to make a difference he says...  And the grain is removed before the hop boil so no hop contam there either.  Dunno what blend % he makes it up to with his own cracked and cooked grain but is very appreciative when I bring it.... and it's nice to know that the byproduct is being put to good use.

No worries just wanted to make sure he’s not just giving them a 5 kilos in one hit but if mixed in moderation with other food would be ok👍 They are expensive animals and go down quicker than a brick and tile glider when they are crook🤣 makes you wonder sometimes how they survived in the wild???

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

So I find medium crystal to taste more sweeter than Carapils. Maybe it’s just because it’s more caramel notes and I perceive it that way.

Absolutely.

14 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

...Do you think it’d be more sweet using all medium crystal? So therefore possibly too bitter? 

I find on some level sweetness counteracts/balances bitterness & vice-versa. In the case of a light or mid-strength beer though, you need to factor in the dilution (watered down) factor. The sweeter tones & flavours of a crystal malt become more noticeable the heavier the overall grain percentage is in your wort/beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks nice Cap. Do you always get so much of the IBU from your long boil for your IPAs?

Actually yeah I have stuffed that up. Normally about half the ibus. 
Going to have to adjust that

I forgot a whole hop step

Edited by The Captain!!

On 5/11/2020 at 4:01 PM, Beerlust said:

The best mid-strength beers to drink are those that cast the illusion that they are not mid-strength.

All of my brews target the 3.9% ABV.  I have found the best ones have plenty of body from a higher mash temp so they have a bit of residual sweetness and a good bit of colour from the use of melanoidin and either 1 or a combo of Carafa Special, Caraaroma, Munich or Vienna as specialty grains.  I find a traditional Pale ale bill ends up a bit watery under 4% ABV which really cant be hidden by more hop flavours.   Anyway that is my take.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

So tired from work, probably should have made this recipe in the morning when I’m fresh. 

Gee, you will want to have your wits about you when your measuring out all those hop additions I read 16 of them is that right? 

So it's no all grain, but I am slowly making my way thru the coopers range of extracts before I start on some other brands, I started with a simple lager, have since done a cerveza and apa, now my next is a Real Ale to be started some time this week.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Gee, you will want to have your wits about you when your measuring out all those hop additions I read 16 of them is that right? 

I count 10. But yes I agree he wouldn't want to nod off during the boil! LOL

Capt. obviously subscribes somewhat to the Dogfish Head hop addition theory of best approaches for IPA's. 😉

P.s. I'm sure this hop schedule is disrupting his regular lager drinking routine. 😜

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

P.s. I'm sure this hop schedule is disrupting his regular lager drinking routine. 😜

4 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Loves a good SMaSH Pilsner I hear. 

Muppets!

Both of ya. 
Realistically there are three hop additions hot side. 

Dogfish head? Hmmm I just figured out over time what works for my system for my tastes, If that’s the same as Dogfish head than I consider myself a genius.
maybe I should make a gose that takes seven different beers to make then blend them for one beer????

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Muppets!

Both of ya. 

😁

...Dogfish head? Hmmm I just figured out over time what works for my system for my tastes, If that’s the same as Dogfish head than I consider myself a genius.

If you haven't tried the regular every 5 minute addition through a 60-90 minute boil on an IPA I would highly recommend you do it at least once. It makes a very well integrated flavoured IPA. You can dose up the dry hop as much as you like.

...maybe I should make a gose that takes seven different beers to make then blend them for one beer????

If I had as much spare time as Ben 10 appears to have for brewing, I might give something like that a crack. To his credit he & a small number of others appear to be making some nice versions of the style.

Cheers & good luck with the IPA,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

😁If you haven't tried the regular every 5 minute addition through a 60-90 minute boil on an IPA I would highly recommend you do it at least once. It makes a very well integrated flavoured IPA. You can dose up the dry hop as much as you like.

Once I get my new brew set up and chiller. Check the additions then..........   

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, RDT2 said:

No worries just wanted to make sure he’s not just giving them a 5 kilos in one hit but if mixed in moderation with other food would be ok👍 They are expensive animals and go down quicker than a brick and tile glider when they are crook🤣 makes you wonder sometimes how they survived in the wild???

Ha ha no worries RDT2 for sure mate and really do appreciate your concern : ) 

The $ value of Mr Horsey's Neds are fairly high and he is deffo a festive old hand in equine husbandry.

Ha ha and 'The Pig' is the 'Emperor's Taster' ha ha 😜

• Haha 1

Was doing a bit of a clean up and found some brew enhancers that I had stockpiled from my old k&k days. Anyway I have thrown this together and intend to make an old school "Aussie Bitter"  using some of he learnings from "Bronzed Brews".  The "Parisian Browning" is a black food colouring that was used to to add colour rather than use dark malts. Thought I would give it a bash. The EBC's for it are 15,000. 

xxxxxxxx.PNG

On 5/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, Goldcoast Crow said:

So it's no all grain, but I am slowly making my way thru the coopers range of extracts before I start on some other brands, I started with a simple lager, have since done a cerveza and apa, now my next is a Real Ale to be started some time this week.

And do consider the use of some Coopers Liquid Malt instead of only using BE Dry Stuff...  when you get a chance in the brewing journey ; )

The Real Ale will go nicely with a Coopers Light Liquid Malt or maybe an Amber Liquid Malt can.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, Goldcoast Crow said:

now my next is a Real Ale to be started some time this week.

The "Real Ale" is a cracker of a kit. As is the English Bitter. To my tastes the best kits to use as bases to do dry hopping and partial mashes with.  Even on their own they are good.  

• Like 4

Threw in a double brew day.  Doing and Irish Stout as well as the Aussie Ale.   The Aussie ale was pitch with @37c with Voss Kveik at about 11.30 am went out and got home around 2.30 and the pressure was already up to 5psi. Oh I love that stuff. Nice clean and neutral and the pressure fermentation is a god send.  Will pitch the Stout with Voss as well at the same temp but in my SS FV.  Glad I have 2 heat belts and 2 InkBirds. 

Stout.PNG

• Like 3