Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

On 5/26/2020 at 6:54 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Rosemary? Interested to hear how this one turns out. I have never heard of anyone using it before. I predict it will taste awful. 🤢 Such a penetrating flavour. Please let us know what you think when it is ready.

Cheers,

Christina. 

I'd lean towards marjoram but could depend on which rosemary cultivar.

7 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

I'd lean towards marjoram but could depend on which rosemary cultivar.

Have you brewed with majoram, Joe, or do you mean in a general sense?

Is Rosemary spiced ale a thing in Columbia? 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Haha 3

LOL @ChristinaS1 . No nothing with marjoram yet. My bro grows his own hops & I thought the flowers were similar to marjoram, and the sweet aroma might work.

Have considered it for awhile but never allow the marjoram to grow enough (it's great in stuffing, soups, marinades, etc)

• Like 3

On 5/25/2020 at 9:11 PM, Norris! said:

I would do either equal parts all 3 or 2:1:1 with riwaka as the heavy addition, so 100g riwaka with 50g galaxy and citra, but that is just a suggestion. Good luck and I am very envious right now, the brew sounds good already.

I ended up going this route in the end Norris. Did crush and sniff of the pellets last night. Riwaka seemed to be the most delicate of the three. Seemed to be the most yellow of the three (not sure if that's good or bad).

Doing NEIPA three stage dry hopping - high Krausen drop last night. I am interested to see if US05 is as good a work horse as I remember or if my tastes have changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicolasW said:

I ended up going this route in the end Norris. Did crush and sniff of the pellets last night. Riwaka seemed to be the most delicate of the three. Seemed to be the most yellow of the three (not sure if that's good or bad).

Doing NEIPA three stage dry hopping - high Krausen drop last night. I am interested to see if US05 is as good a work horse as I remember or if my tastes have changed.

Yeah there are not a lot of hops that will pack the punch that galaxy and citra do but I am looking forward to your brew, it sounds pretty nice.

I have no idea about the colour, so I won't say anything to further expose my ignorance on the difference between colours and why. You know the ole saying, it is better to say nothing and let them wonder if your an idiot than to talk and verify it. Did I just call myself an idiot?!?

• Haha 1

Brew day today thought I would have a go at a Hefeweizen all seemed to go well other than could not get any liquid yeast in time so will battle on with WB06 have used it before in a extract brew wasn’t that impressed but see how we go this time was hoping for a bit of banana and clove going to ferment at 20degrees unless someone convinces me otherwise. But looking forward to it either way not a huge wheat beer fan but want to give it a try cause the commerce ones I have had must of been old. I did boil for 90minutes not 60 nice clear wort.

109D4545-2AF3-4743-81D2-5EAF7E18D7F0.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Looks like a nice simple recipe that! Looking forward to hearing how it is in the glass

Yes it was a relaxing brew with just one hop addition just hope the yeast is okay hear all the bad media about 06    

25 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

As cap says it will be fine. WB06 makes a good beer. Hope you get the elusive banana.

Cheers thanks mate can’t wait I think I say that with every beer🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2020 at 12:57 PM, JoeB7 said:

could depend on which rosemary cultivar.

Mmmm and cannot remember what mine was... went in about 7 long years ago...  it's survival is legendary - close to death in Jan was pruned back severely trying to keep it alive... thought it was gone.... but the rain came and it has come back really nicely... which is good for me and when it flowers it is a true bee festival!

And how harsh the flavour might also depend whether fresh or old growth.  I think I am going to try some but not go too hard to begin with and use younger growth... Cheers JB. BB

• Like 1

BIAB no sparger here and the last couple of brews I have experimented with a 60 minute 65c mash, a drop of 1c, and  75c 15 minute mash out to see what effect if any it had on efficiency.   The results are in and while I need a couple of more brews to really see if my brew house efficiency has improved there is no doubt that my fermentability is better.  Usually the FG of my brews has been around the 1012 make with attenuation around the 75% mark. The 2 brews with a 1c lower mash temp and mash out have seen a 4 point drop in FG and increase in attenuation to around 83%.  Subsequently brews that a had predicted ABV in the low 4% are now pushing 5%.  The mash out is here to stay. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

BIAB no sparger here and the last couple of brews I have experimented with a 60 minute 65c mash, a drop of 1c, and  75c 15 minute mash out to see what effect if any it had on efficiency.   The results are in and while I need a couple of more brews to really see if my brew house efficiency has improved there is no doubt that my fermentability is better.  Usually the FG of my brews has been around the 1012 make with attenuation around the 75% mark. The 2 brews with a 1c lower mash temp and mash out have seen a 4 point drop in FG and increase in attenuation to around 83%.  Subsequently brews that a had predicted ABV in the low 4% are now pushing 5%.  The mash out is here to stay. 

I like the effects of the mash out and lower mash temps on some beers. I have been getting a lot lower FG than previously, even with brews with a fairly high adjunct levels, my hazy pales usually finish around 1.008 to 1.010.

Trying to decrease my calorific intake while still enjoying current levels of homebrew consumption, so this is a lower gravity brew - which I'll probably doing more often from now on.   I know it's not much but it's 50 - 60 calories less that a 5% beer which all adds up over time and when you're trying to shed a few kilos every bit counts!    This is a kind of hybrid brew, using some left-over hops and mostly based on specs for an Ordinary Bitter, though the grist itself was originally intended for a PA!

• 2kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 800g GF Munich Malt
  • 400g GF Supernova Malt
  • 550g LME
  • 25g Southern Cross hops @35 mins
  • 25g Southern Cross hops @10 mins
  • 15g Kohatu Hops @ FO
  • Nottingham Yeast

With current efficiency sitting at around 65% this one should land at around 3.5% ABV after priming.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I like the effects of the mash out and lower mash temps on some beers. I have been getting a lot lower FG than previously, even with brews with a fairly high adjunct levels, my hazy pales usually finish around 1.008 to 1.010.

I was surprised the impact of a 1c drop and mash out...Think it will become part of my normal process.  In the context of sugar adjuncts do you use them often? The old school recipes from "Bronzed brews" all have a high % of sugars/syrups and I have started using them in my APA's. I must admit they work really well in giving a boost to the ABV% without impacting the body or mouth feel of the beer. Good bang for buck so to speak. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RDT2 said:

WB06 have used it before in a extract brew wasn’t that impressed

I am interested to see how you go I am toying with brewing a Hefeweizen or maybe a Dunkel Weizen soon. Lallemand Munich Classic seems to get positive reviews on the forums, and reportedly does a good job with banana esters.

Edited by NicolasW

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I was surprised the impact of a 1c drop and mash out...Think it will become part of my normal process.  In the context of sugar adjuncts do you use them often? The old school recipes from "Bronzed brews" all have a high % of sugars/syrups and I have started using them in my APA's. I must admit they work really well in giving a boost to the ABV% without impacting the body or mouth feel of the beer. Good bang for buck so to speak. 

I was meaning stuff like oats and unmalted wheat and the such. I will probably add some sugar to an Aussie draught I have planned though.  But yeah I do feel they have their place and need, def agree with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicolasW said:

I am interested to see how you go I am toying with brewing a Hefeweizen or maybe a Dunkel Weizen soon. Lallemand Munich Classic seems to get positive reviews on the forums, and reportedly does a good job with banana esters.

See how this goes and might try that yeast next time the WB06 is going off now though for less than 18hrs since pitching 

D254A475-6E42-4487-969D-171574BD0A57.jpeg

• Like 3

Today’s brew day resulted in a Kolsch. 

bout 90% bestmalz pilsner

munich and some carapils 

halletaur middlefinger @60, 30 &15

ibu 27 

OG 1.042

pitched lallemands koln Kolsch yeast at 22, now sitting at 18.5.

this is the first brew I’ve built a water profile from scratch. RO water in the mash and sparge. Was shooting for a mash pH of 5.2 but landed on 5.17 so I’ll take that as a win. Probably went OTT with the lactic acid.  Put my new filter through it’s paces today. 

Also liking the clarity im getting when chilling. 

942A574E-FA4D-451F-B37C-870CB267FDF4.jpeg

B9A46569-338F-41AA-A8CA-4980B5EFA022.jpeg

D82ECE6A-605C-4529-B247-0747E243CC0C.jpeg

6E2B6D58-36A0-47C5-A782-280C2D22E65E.jpeg

5A8612B3-081A-4CAE-BB4B-0EF9775D9799.jpeg

3738EB33-A1AC-4482-8E49-E81BC161BB39.jpeg

• Like 4