Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

And a bit of a sparge of sorts - just boil the jug and pour on... and then pump recirc a bit with the manual pump.... trying to capture all those lovely fermentable and non-fermentable soluble mash metabolites..

image.png.859313ab0a85db204a49df76210ca172.png

• Like 3

On 5/2/2020 at 4:46 PM, UncleStavvy said:

Because of the metric system....

I believe what Uncle tells us is quite correct - as the Litre and Kilo which underpin the metric system all depend upon SG of water being 1 at 4 deg C.

6 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Brew Day Watcha Got ha ha - AG Ale of sorts... Weigh - Grind - Heat Water - Mash in and Recirc... started a bit late in the day but hey - at least am up and running

image.png.759c29c4eb77e59c4689cb9832fe7056.png

Hope you got done at a reasonable time mate.

I had a brew day planned this weekend but ended up working. However i adjusted the brew scope and started work at 5:30am with a planned knockoff at 1:30pm. Didnt happen as finished at 3:30 and not enough time to do shite. Anyways Melbourne weather this weekend has been on the cold side. So best leave till next weekend.

• Like 1

I started mine late yesterday too, didn't even mash in til after 11. Finished about 5:30 when it was practically dark. Had to use a torch to see when the break material was moving towards the outlet 🤣

The OG ended up being 1.050. Stupid cold and windy weather and a brief element cut out resulted in a lower boil off than usual. If I'd started earlier I probably would have boiled it longer but I couldn't be bothered waiting any longer. 1.050 is basically what I was aiming for anyway so I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Brewing my pilsner today.

I have pretty much made this recipe of yours before.  Albeit without the acidulated malts and Carafa Special T to colour it.  I knocked it down to a 60 minute boil but next time will do the 90 minute.  Anyway I will get to the point: this is a darn good brew.  For my palalte it took about 2 months of lagering in the kegger for it to really get on point but it was wonderful.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

None of it works bar a good month or two cold conditioning.

And for me it is worth it. There really is something about a good well made Bitter lager.  

• Like 1

Thanks mate, appreciate the nice words. Also agree with the longer lagering improving these beers, I always notice an improvement with more time cold. You can speed up the fermentation a bit, but for the lagering itself there are no shortcuts. Unfortunately I don't have any real way to lager a keg for 2-3 months other than leaving it in the kegerator and just drinking and replacing the other keg as it empties. Maybe I'll try that with this one. I can usually get it to about 4-6 weeks, and by the time I finish it it'd be around two months. 

17 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Thanks mate, appreciate the nice words.

I have some Hallertau Blanc that i want to use and have been reading that it goes well in pilsners so may use that instead of all Saaz just for a change. 

Recipe: Brut RyePA
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Rye IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          63.6 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          18.2 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         3          18.2 %        0.65 L        
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
40.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           5          12.9 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           6          13.6 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           7          16.7 IBUs     -             
15.00 g          Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           8          6.4 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [50 Yeast         9          -             -             
0.55 tsp         Amylase Enzyme (Primary 3.0 days)                Other         10         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 7

Was lacking some inspiration until I checked my grains stocks and thought. Bugger it, just use what I have. So this is a Vienna Lager of sorts. Not strictly to guide lines but close. This uses all my base malts hence the use of the raw sugar to get the SG up and the Wheat to add some body to compensate for the sugar. 

I have about 300g of Hallertau Blanc so thought I had better start using them and used the Simcoe for some smooth bitterness which should compliment the HB late addition.  I think this is going to be a pretty good brew.    

Capture.PNG

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

So this is a Vienna Lager of sorts.

Interesting, what yeast?

7 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

God damn that’s gonna be dry AF. 
annnnnnnnd BITTER!

Yeah well, why not? Had the enzyme there, thought I'd use it.

17 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Yeah well, why not? Had the enzyme there, thought I'd use it.

Yeah I think I’m more excited about it then you ha ha ha it’s a good idea mate. 
As dry as using French Saison yeast but with character. I like it. 

• Like 1

Another Busty Blonde in the Coopers 23 L FV.  Have upped the Saaz hops each batch of this recipe and this latest one is 20 g steeped for 15".  Pitched on Sunday with CCA yeast from my starter and its going great guns today.  Eager to try out her older sister that was kegged last week and nearly ready to tap.  She had a 15 g Saaz steep for 20" so interested to see what the difference (if any) will be.

This morning laid down a True Aussie Bitter 20L, but with a cold steep of 150g dark crystal malt to boost the EBC.  Using SafLager W-30/70 at 13 C.  This brew will be bottled and lagered until about September when we will scoff it, hopefully watching some footy/finals.

That's all four of my Fv's full now so its just sit back and wait until one is ready to keg or bottle.  Perhaps a pint or two of the Busty Blonde in the meantime.

Cheers - AL

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Titan said:

Hope you got done at a reasonable time mate.

Ha ha Titan mate you could see it a mile off couldn't you mate ?!   You could see those long shadows falling ha ha.

Yeah got there in the end... did a desert-no-chill overnight w fan on a timer and pitched today with a US05 starter... think everything seems ok settling in now at 18 deg C.... well here's hoping all's well hey ; )      Cheers Cobber.  BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

There are a few "fast lagering" techniques out there but its all bullshit for me. None of it works bar a good month or two cold conditioning. 

Yeah Greeny and that is where the beauty of bottles came in for me - I had bottles in for like 3 months at 2 deg C... they went in very nice.... and the results came out legendary.

However, my more recent AG Munich Lager that was 3 weeks in Ferment+Conditioning then kegged n carbed for 8 days turned out very nice... so nice it barely made it to 3 weeks before sputtering out ; )

Maybe the long ferment and conditioning off the trub n yeast after week 1 - the further two weeks - may have helped? 

15 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah Greeny and that is where the beauty of bottles came in for me - I had bottles in for like 3 months at 2 deg C... they went in very nice.... and the results came out legendary.

However, my more recent AG Munich Lager that was 3 weeks in Ferment+Conditioning then kegged n carbed for 8 days turned out very nice... so nice it barely made it to 3 weeks before sputtering out ; )

Maybe the long ferment and conditioning off the trub n yeast after week 1 - the further two weeks - may have helped? 

I do find lagers in kegs improve quicker, then again any beer improves quicker in kegs. My experience has been that they hit their stride after about 6 weeks chilled (after the 1.5-2 weeks chilled in the fermenter prior to kegging them) and don't really get noticeably better after that. I suppose by that time it is practically two months anyway. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I reckon if my wife would stop drinking all my beer I’d be able to get it past a month old to see the difference in “aged” beer.

I made subtle comments until she started contributing to the costs. 😄

This went into the FV fridge about an hour ago. Pitched trub from an APA at 22°. Tastes rather good. I found I like the slight flavour crystal rye gives it and the brown sugar is so the missus will like it. Partial mash at 67° for 90 mins instead of just steeping the rye and ale malt. 

Destined for the 3rd keg unless we drink one out before it's done. 😄 Although I'm kinda leaning towards another brew tomorrow  and if I run out of keg space it should only be briefly or I can leave it in CC or even bottle it. I have about 5 doz Coopers glass bottles and 24 of them are empty and I haven't sold the PETs yet.

image.png.0426fae97496ed5e809a99f4b6978385.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I made subtle comments until she started contributing to the costs. 😄

Ha ha ha ha that would never work in the Captains household. 
She’d probably say something like “well how about I just don’t burn all your guitars on the front lawn?”

• Haha 3