Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

They really are small volumes. Excuse my ignorance is that normal for a witbeer?  Also how do you like the warrior as a bittering hop.  

Hey marty. Hope your keeping well mate. 

Yeah a whole 12.6 IBU. Most wits are between 10 and 15. Its all really about the coriander and orange and the yeast. Wife loves it. I dont mind it as a refreshing drink.

Warrior and magnum are my go to for pure bittering hops. I usually use magnum as i can get my hands on it easier but in my opinion they are extremely similar. Warrior is higher AA content so if i had a choice i would go warrior. Nugget is another that i used once but it wasn't as clean as the other two. 

4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey marty. Hope your keeping well mate. 

Thanks I am good mate.  Interesting about the warrior. I have been toying with the idea of just using a generic type of high AA hop for bittering and warrior was the one that was high on the list. Will have to get some and give a try.  

26 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Thanks I am good mate.  Interesting about the warrior. I have been toying with the idea of just using a generic type of high AA hop for bittering and warrior was the one that was high on the list. Will have to get some and give a try.  

Yeah i find using a generic for bittering suits me for most styles. Some i stick to the classics like pilsener etc.

• Like 2

Recipe: Aussie
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 12.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          79.7 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          19.9 %        0.65 L        
0.02 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         3          0.4 %         0.01 L        
30.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          29.2 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

Brew day went well. I’ve been over shooting numbers by a few points which isn’t bad but kind of annoying. After few process jigs I got the numbers bang on. Pre and post boil.
I brewed what’s is a German Pilsner at heart,  98% Pilsner malt 2% gladiator, 40 IBU coming from 100g of hallertau mittelfrueh At various stages. 

Now this is where some of you will call me a scoundrel, a shonkster and a scum bag. . I’m fermenting it with US-05

so it’s a errrr german ale? A faux lager, a Lagle? A fony balony kolsch? 

what ever it’s beer. 

EE1B9A4B-DA1D-48F1-A315-D9C2AF6834FE.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Recipe: Flanders V
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.50 L
Post Boil Volume: 25.19 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 19.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 30.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         1          47.3 %        1.63 L        
2.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          47.3 %        1.63 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.7 %         0.16 L        
0.03 kg          Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC)       Grain         4          0.6 %         0.02 L        
15.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           5          14.2 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        6          -             -             

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yeast is whatever is in the rotten looking FV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Supposedly my new grain bag will be arriving today, if so I'll be doing a brew day on Saturday. Not sure what yet, will look in the freezer and see what I can come up with from whatever hops are in there. Maybe some kind of red/amber ale. 

After that I'll have to get some more Saaz so I can get some more pilsners done. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Titan said:

Yep

Ahhh... OK. Nope it's a full 23 litre batch.   36 IBU.

It was supposed to be a 5.5%- 6% beer based on recent mash efficiencies (over 80%) but on this occasion it was ridiculously low 50% efficiency... no idea why?  MY LHBS actually lost my order in the pre-lockdown rush so I ended up using Weyermann Pale malt instead of the usual Gladfield which they'd run out of.   Shouldn't have made any real difference though.  Anyway I've ended up with a 4.5% brew which is still within spec.  

10 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Ahhh... OK. Nope it's a full 23 litre batch.   36 IBU.

It was supposed to be a 5.5%- 6% beer based on recent mash efficiencies (over 80%) but on this occasion it was ridiculously low 50% efficiency... no idea why?  MY LHBS actually lost my order in the pre-lockdown rush so I ended up using Weyermann Pale malt instead of the usual Gladfield which they'd run out of.   Shouldn't have made any real difference though.  Anyway I've ended up with a 4.5% brew which is still within spec.  

Thats why i thought it was a half batch because the the numbers were high for such a small grain bill.