Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

9 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

what I had. 

Nice nice nice.  Thank you Cappo.

It's a really good learning opportunity to see the different malts and hops being used for the different beers... thanks mate.

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice nice nice.  Thank you Cappo.

It's a really good learning opportunity to see the different malts and hops being used for the different beers... thanks mate.

Seriously, don’t use any grains they way I do ha ha ha . 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Seriously, don’t use any grains they way I do ha ha ha . 

I may not (and certainly do not want to pilfer intellectual brewing property) but what is nice is to sort of see how the different malts can come together... and the hops as well...

Bit of Wheat... some Rye...  Crystal... Carafa.... East Kent Goldings... good stuff.

I use quite a bit of wheat in my brews... and have got some festive Rye and Crystal... plus EKG hops in a postbag from CPB on the way... so am really looking forward to it!

And besides... I am the plodder who only uses US05 (all the Yeast Kings bag me for ha ha) in Ales... so will likely end up being quite different Cappo ha ha!  😜

Nivver had Rye nor EKG - should be really good fun.

Seems like people say Rye can be sticky - but I am a Brew in a Basket freak so am hoping that the whole sparge thing is not going to cause probs...

And was only going to go for like 10% Rye or less - think that was what @Ben 10 Benny was saying 10-15 ballpark... 

Any thoughts on that Cappo or you Rye Masters?

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I use quite a bit of wheat in my brews...

Nivver had Rye nor EKG - should be really good fun.

Seems like people say Rye can be sticky - but I am a Brew in a Basket freak so am hoping that the whole sparge thing is not going to cause probs...

And was only going to go for like 10% Rye or less - think that was what @Ben 10 Benny was saying 10-15 ballpark... 

Any thoughts on that Cappo or you Rye Masters?

The reason I say don’t use malts like I do is because that recipe is a bastardisation of a recipe. 
wheat: the wheat I used in this recipe is unmalted wheat.  For mouthfeel and grain flavour. 

Rye is only there for something different. 
I like the spice it brings

If you’re doing a rye pale or IPA, I wouldn’t go less than 10%. I have the same premise as Ben. Others think a real rye pale/IPA doesn’t start till you hit 20%. 
Rye can cause issues for BIABers as it can stick on elements and cause them to cut out. If you have a urn that is but understand you don’t run it this way. 

8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

that recipe is a bastardisation of a recipe. 

Ha ha Captain re the bstardation....

All of my recipes then have no parents in wedlock either ha ha!

I don't really 'do recipes'... just have a general view on what I have seen before - try something - record - and then go again... so no worries there. 

Ripper - I reckon I am gunna crank 10% Rye to start with... and see how I go from there.  Thank you!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

Bottled my first batch of Heritage Lager and also a first batch of my version of the True Aussie Bitter this WE.  These are going to be properly lagered until the spring.  Both the sample tastings were very nice and smelled fantastic.  Going to enjoy these babies when they are finally ready.  Bottling my lagers and kegging my ales to build up stocks ATM.

Laid down another batch of my Busty Blonde recipe yesterday (I think I am falling in love) and tomorrow will lay down another batch of Lightning Strike Summer Ale, both of these will be kegged and sipped as soon as possible ha.. ha.😁

Got hold of some Pride of Ringwood hops on Friday so will be looking to do something in a lager with those.  Have enough for two batches.  This time of year for me is a good time to do lagers.

Cheers - AL

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Got hold of some Pride of Ringwood hops on Friday so will be looking to do something in a lager with those.  Have enough for two batches.  This time of year for me is a good time to do lagers.

I have made a few with PoR recently and really enjoy them

• Like 2

Recipe: Baltic Porter
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Baltic Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 54.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain         1          66.2 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          13.2 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)                            Grain         3          13.2 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          3.3 %         0.16 L        
0.25 kg          Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (925.9 EBC)       Grain         5          3.3 %         0.16 L        
0.05 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         6          0.7 %         0.03 L        
50.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           7          40.4 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        8          -             -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         9          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Choc and Hazelnut Porter

5kg Maris Otter
350g Brown Malt
300g Medium Crystal
300g Chocolate Wheat
100g Chocolate Malt
120g Black Malt
500g Roasted Hazelnuts (crushed)
75g EKG (4%) @60min
30g Challenger (5.1%) @10min
Nottingham Yeast

67C mash @60min
78C mash out @10min
60 minute boil

Let's see...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Woohoo Brew Day Again.... so can take the spent grain to Horsey Man tomorrow... Pale Malt Pilsener... ha ha... should be Pilsener Malt I hear you say... ha ha got none...

So gunna try it with Pale Malt instead ; )     Mashed in 63-64 deg C....  Any thoughts anyone?   Freshly milled and mashed in see below:  😲

image.thumb.png.4eaa56b24852057365d235316070f567.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Titan said:

Now thats what im talking about. Any particular reason for the yeast choice?

I have it. Also Baltic Porter is supposed to have a lager yeast and I find the M54 to be working well at my current shed temp.

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Yeah I noted that too. What temp are you planning on fermenting it at Ben?

Ambient. The aussie draught I have been fermenting in the shed with that yeast is particularly clean and crisp.

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Choc and Hazelnut Porter

500g Roasted Hazelnuts (crushed)

Let's see...

FABULOUS

• Like 3

Drinking this house pale variant 1.4, I know I am a wanker, Ochre Ale, it has been on gas for 24 hours but it is a good balanced beer. Nice aroma and flavour. Citrus, grapefruit, some bready notes with some pine. Good bitterness. I am looking forward to this maturing and offsetting the hazy ale that will be on the other tap.

20200524_161733.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Drinking this house pale variant 1.4, I know I am a wanker, Ochre Ale, it has been on gas for 24 hours but it is a good balanced beer. Nice aroma and flavour. Citrus, grapefruit, some bready notes with some pine. Good bitterness. I am looking forward to this maturing and offsetting the hazy ale that will be on the other tap.

Come on now Norris.... this thread doesn't have finished beer ha ha - we are only still making it over here 👨‍🔬  🤣

image.thumb.png.9fba4f8de7fec0b231c0d62cf433abbf.png

• Haha 1

ESB today.

Using up ingredients I had on hand so not really traditional. American ale malt, Munich and medium crystal. Hopped with Challenger and Styrian Goldings. 

I will stir up some Wyeast 1469.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Adjusting my Best Bitter as I missed my mark with the SG by 10 points.

So for 22 litres, would it be about 600g of dry malt? To up it from 1.032 - 1.042?

Seems about right in my software.

24 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Thanks Norris. 
only had 500g anyway. 
 Guess we will see in two weeks. 

It'll be right. Some don't even take measurements and their product is one of the best I have had with a ton of diversity.

My refractometer was out the last 2 out 3 brews, I thought I was hitting crazy efficiency, nope, the beer tasted good. The only tell was I wasn't getting the high alcohol taste or burn I expected. Anyways, it still made good beer, but yeah, I don't think any of us like to add to a recipe that we had set due to whatever reasons. As they say, she'll be right.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 9:23 PM, iBooz2 said:

These are going to be properly lagered until the spring.

@iBooz2What temp and how long for the True Aussie Bitter. My batch is still carbonating in the spa, be 7 days this Thursday. Then they're meant to go to the bar fridge for ????

My Faux NEIPA is down to its final liters 😕 - went fast. Everyone who tried it enjoyed it. I was going to redo it but  still waiting on Lallemand New England yeast to arrive. So onto batch #2 for my covid19 return to brewing. Still doing kit and kilo not quite ready for all grain yet - still waiting on the equipment (chiller is in the post don't want BB to give me the lecture from using the no chill cube 😛), and going back over my reference material.

Todays recipe thrown together with what was in my storage room:

Thomas Coopers IPA

1Kg LDME

1Kg Wheat DME

US05 Yeast  

Looks like it hits the APA category.

Still pondering dry hops.  I am considering going Galaxy/Citra or riwaka on its own. Anyone got suggestions? I liked how a three separate worked out (high Krausen, end of ferment, and keg charge). Not sure if I am going to throw 200 g of hops at this one.

IMG_20200525_162824-02.jpeg

pale.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1