Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I agree with you. It's my goto strain when I want to make clean pilsner/lagers generally. In recent years I have become particularly fond of the Mangrove Jacks M76 Bavarian Lager yeast. I have been experimenting with it to produce a hybrid hoppy lager aiming towards a terrific beer that was originally made here in SA about 15-20 years ago.

@The Captain!! take notice of the yeast specs. 😉

I'll nail it eventually if it's the last beer I ever make, it was that good (IMHO).

Cheers,

Lusty.

See, this is the type of yeast that sounds really good. The less sulphur production pricks my ears up. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think you will be fine with the amount of hops.  Maybe even a little light on. 

I did the Californian Riptide Pale Ale a few brews ago.  Unfortunately I must have left the dry hop in for too long because I got a grassy taste in the beer.  I drank it but I would not offer it up as the best beer I ever drank.  Without the grassiness it would have been a nice beer.

Cheers Shamus

Unfortunately my Riptide Pale is a write off 😠 due to operator error 

I wrapped it in a towel but somehow it flipped the tap open, went to check the temp and there was sweet brown liquid all through my garage shelves floor .

Suffice to say won't do the again. Hoping to have another crack soon. In the meantime i put down a Czech Pils that's looking suweet !

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Wow, they sound awesome. Samba! Looking forward to your review. 

Samba sounds like the name given to a 60's/70's American cartoon animal. I vaguely remember some cartoon with some superhero woman that lived in the jungle with a pet panther. She would throw some super boomerang necklace toward her enemies, & whatever survived that, she would have her panther (maybe named Samba?) clean up what was left alive.

This could be at least 50% fictitious as my memory is not as clear on these things as it once was. 😉

That said, life was so much simpler back then & less judgemental. She & her panther always won. 😎

Lusty.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Samba sounds like the name given to a 60's/70's American cartoon animal. I vaguely remember some cartoon with some superhero woman that lived in the jungle with a pet panther. She would throw some super boomerang necklace toward her enemies, & whatever survived that, she would have her panther (maybe named Samba?) clean up what was left alive.

This could be at least 50% fictitious as my memory is not as clear on these things as it once was. 😉

That said, life was so much simpler back then & less judgemental. She & her panther always won. 😎

Lusty.

WT actual F Lusty ha ha ha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/9/2020 at 10:32 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

let it rise by itself up to 18 when the SG is in the low 1.020s.

Cool Kelsey - will be doing that shortly... just no 'free-rising' down here... have to carefully control the warming plate ha ha ?!  ; )

But will take it slowly...  does your 'free rise' go up overnight say from 12-->18 or does it take a bit longer?

30 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cool Kelsey - will be doing that shortly... just no 'free-rising' down here... have to carefully control the warming plate ha ha ?!  ; )

But will take it slowly...  does your 'free rise' go up overnight say from 12-->18 or does it take a bit longer?

Depends on the time of year. In summer probably a day, in winter closer to two days. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

says out-of-stock on their website

Just lucky timing when I bought one I guess.

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

... you got special connections?

Not that I'm aware of. Just the standard ones men have. 😜

😁

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

SWMBO is having a Girls night out on saturday so I am considering getting back on the all grain train.

Going to be BIAB (40l Birko) a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale (based on Ross's recipe from craft brewer). I've attached the Brewfather export in case anyone wants to provide feedback. Any opinions on if I should bother to sparging or just squeeze (reminds me of that juice ad)? Is the 60 minute boil necessary or can I get away with 30? 

Cheers

Nick.

Brewfather_NelsonSauvinSummerAle_20200612.pdf

• Like 2

Going to try making the Luchador Spiced Chocolate stout tonight - grains currently soaking in the fridge.  Thinking that 1tsp of Chilli powder shouldn't be too strong, but curious about increasing the cocoa from 1tbsp to maybe 2 or 3?  Any feedback on whether this would make it more chocolateyer?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NicolasW said:

SWMBO is having a Girls night out on saturday so I am considering getting back on the all grain train.

Going to be BIAB (40l Birko) a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale (based on Ross's recipe from craft brewer). I've attached the Brewfather export in case anyone wants to provide feedback. Any opinions on if I should bother to sparging or just squeeze (reminds me of that juice ad)? Is the 60 minute boil necessary or can I get away with 30? 

Cheers

Nick.

Brewfather_NelsonSauvinSummerAle_20200612.pdf 149.11 kB · 5 downloads

So you are doing a 20 min, 10 min and 5 min additions with a hop stand, what do you want from the 10 and 5 min that you cannot get from a whirlpool addition, minus the additional hops to equal the same bitterness?

See where I am going here? Historically those additions, 20, 10 and 5 are for flavour and aroma, and some bitterness but we know that the longer we boil the more aromatics are lost, so why not put the 10 and 5 min at flameout, still do the hopstand at the lower temp and keep the 20 min addition to maximize the aroma and get the flavour from the 20min?

As for squeezing or sparging, whatever. Try one this time and try another the next. I depress the malt screen to get as much wort out on my system, so yes squeeze all day and do a full volume mash. I also have sparged, most batches, without sparging it saves a few minutes, 20 or so, but you are waiting for the kettle to rise to a boil anyways....so.

A 60 min boil is not required. Why not try a 30 min? Tell us how clear it was or cloudy. You are using maris otter as a base, I would do a 30 min boil. I haven't done a short boil yet but from what I am seeing, the benefits out weigh the shortfalls, but that is just my analysis, flawed and ignorant of other sources and all.

Norris

• Like 2

@NicolasW

If you really wanted to go a little extreme, you could do a 30 min boil and add all the hops at flameout, to equal your target bitterness, and then chill or cube after 15 or 20 minutes or whatever your whirlpool addition is and call it a day cutting 30 min from the boil and 20 or 30 min from the hop stand while maximising flavour and aroma.

Just a thought.

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 2