Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Threw this in the FV this afternoon. A reproduction of the 1917 Resch's Dinner Ale or DA as it was known.  Don't believe the OG it came in 8 points higher then the predicted which gave me a efficiency 93%. This is the second time that the OG has been wrong when using golden syrup.  There must be an issue with the calculation used for that fermentable. Last time both the OG and FG were 7 points higher and I expect the same here. 

DA.PNG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicolasW said:

My Faux NEIPA is down to its final liters 😕 - went fast. Everyone who tried it enjoyed it. I was going to redo it but  still waiting on Lallemand New England yeast to arrive. So onto batch #2 for my covid19 return to brewing. Still doing kit and kilo not quite ready for all grain yet - still waiting on the equipment (chiller is in the post don't want BB to give me the lecture from using the no chill cube 😛), and going back over my reference material.

Todays recipe thrown together with what was in my storage room:

Thomas Coopers IPA

1Kg LDME

1Kg Wheat DME

US05 Yeast  

Looks like it hits the APA category.

Still pondering dry hops.  I am considering going Galaxy/Citra or riwaka on its own. Anyone got suggestions? I liked how a three separate worked out (high Krausen, end of ferment, and keg charge). Not sure if I am going to throw 200 g of hops at this one.

IMG_20200525_162824-02.jpeg

pale.JPG

Go for it. See if you like it. 
Id be throwing more in if it was me but I’m an idiot apparently 

4 hours ago, NicolasW said:

My Faux NEIPA is down to its final liters 😕 - went fast. Everyone who tried it enjoyed it. I was going to redo it but  still waiting on Lallemand New England yeast to arrive. So onto batch #2 for my covid19 return to brewing. Still doing kit and kilo not quite ready for all grain yet - still waiting on the equipment (chiller is in the post don't want BB to give me the lecture from using the no chill cube 😛), and going back over my reference material.

Todays recipe thrown together with what was in my storage room:

Thomas Coopers IPA

1Kg LDME

1Kg Wheat DME

US05 Yeast  

Looks like it hits the APA category.

Still pondering dry hops.  I am considering going Galaxy/Citra or riwaka on its own. Anyone got suggestions? I liked how a three separate worked out (high Krausen, end of ferment, and keg charge). Not sure if I am going to throw 200 g of hops at this one.

IMG_20200525_162824-02.jpeg

pale.JPG

Why not? I mean really, what would be a reason not to if you can? The recipe will handle it and honestly with those 3 hops, I would be tossing whatever I could at the brew.

You are sitting real pretty right now, riwaka is just a great hop that I have tried in commercial beers and have really liked it and well galaxy and citra would go with riwaka or each other or all three like hot chocolate on a snowy day. You cannot really go wrong here with your choices it just depends on what you want to get from the addition. Since this is batch #2 since your return, I kind of suggest trying doing one hop to get to know it, but you just did a NEIPA, so I would do either equal parts all 3 or 2:1:1 with riwaka as the heavy addition, so 100g riwaka with 50g galaxy and citra, but that is just a suggestion. Good luck and I am very envious right now, the brew sounds good already.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 5:18 AM, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha brewing up a Storm - hop boil current with Noble Hops and a sprig of fresh garden Rosemary for a laugh at the end ; )

Rosemary? Interested to hear how this one turns out. I have never heard of anyone using it before. I predict it will taste awful. 🤢 Such a penetrating flavour. Please let us know what you think when it is ready.

Cheers,

Christina. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Threw this in the FV this afternoon. A reproduction of the 1917 Resch's Dinner Ale or DA as it was known.  Don't believe the OG it came in 8 points higher then the predicted which gave me a efficiency 93%. This is the second time that the OG has been wrong when using golden syrup.  There must be an issue with the calculation used for that fermentable. Last time both the OG and FG were 7 points higher and I expect the same here. 

DA.PNG

Got the Bronzed Brews book last week for a look. Some very interesting recipes, but the information about some of the equipment they used was really good.

Not sure I’ll be prepping up a kauri fermenter and infecting it with brettanomyces(?) any time soon though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewBrews said:

ot the Bronzed Brews book last week for a look. Some very interesting recipes, but the information about some of the equipment they used was really good.

The beers i have made so far from it are all great. Very malt driven balance buy bitternes. They are the antithesis of modern hop bombs. They really are delicious if you like that sort of thing. Reminds me very much of European ales.  Which essential they are or were. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, UncleStavvy said:

@iBooz2What temp and how long for the True Aussie Bitter. My batch is still carbonating in the spa, be 7 days this Thursday. Then they're meant to go to the bar fridge for ????

@UncleStavvy I just left mine sitting on the concrete floor of brew shed which seems to be a constant 11 C ATM bottles are 12 C when scanned with temp gun.  They are carbing up at that temp albeit slowly and get firmer each day.  This shed is double brick and fully insulated so temp is really good no matter what time of year.   I don't have room in my real big tin shed (read hanger).  There is also a fridge in the hanger but its currently used for chilling cubes of filtered water for brews.  When winter really sets in the lagers will be moved down to the big tin shed where it will be much colder.  Unsure of what the concrete slab temp is or will be down there so its an experiment.  They can stay down there until September-ish.  Once the filtered tap water gets colder straight out of the tap, I will not have to pre-chill the cubes so some bottles can then go in there and will be able to compare with bottles that are just left sitting on the cold concrete as far as lagering goes.

You are carbing up in your spa, is that a good idea?  Our spa sits at 38 C, way too hot and the Mrs would crack the shits if I stated using that for carbing a few brews. 

I did sneak some bottles of ales into the dinning room where it is much warmer to carb them up.  My Mrs has the gas heating turned up so high its like a Bali Beach in the living areas in our house, way too hot for me.  I leave these ales inside for about 2 weeks then retire them back to the brew shed in boxes.  This seems to work for my ales so long as she lets me get away with this and I don't overstep the mark.

One Idea I thought about was: have got an old 4 drawer steel filing cabinet that I was about to toss out in hard garbage.  1) was wondering if I use it to store bottles at ambient through winter down in the big tin shed to see how cold they get and possibly lager cabinet.  And 2) glue some insulation to the outsides and maybe put a heat pad here and there inside it so as to use it for a 18 C conditioning storage.  Dunno, will think this through over a beer or three.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 2

Bar fridge can do -3°-10° and the spa idling sits at 21°. The bitter has both W34/70 yeast and the Canadian Blonde sachet in it so technically it should carbonate at either temp. My last sparkling ale turned out so well in the spa I couldn't resist putting it in, even though it was fermented at 12°.

Having said that, from the reading I've done it appears as though true lagering is best done unbottled at very low temps so now I'm confused as to what I'm trying to achieve. Reckon I'm just going to store the batch in the bar fridge at 10° for a month and see how it goes

14 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Rosemary? Interested to hear how this one turns out. I have never heard of anyone using it before. I predict it will taste awful. 🤢 Such a penetrating flavour. Please let us know what you think when it is ready.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Ha ha thanks Christina... yeah I guess it probably is a matter of taste and am usually not that fired up about Rosemary if too heavy say in a casserole... but love it in a Lamb Roast and also Rosemary Potatoes.

However... this incursion into the great unknown was very limited - like only one Sprig of a few inches.... so who knows whether it will even show up.  Since pruning heavily to stop plant death at the late stages of the drought the plant has since come back nicely with the rains... and am wondering whether it might not be that bad in a crispy Pilsener type thing.

I have noted in the Extreme Brewing Book that they are suggesting like 1.5 ounces or 43g.... that would like have more kick... I would be adding it green.... That is when I will need to be a bit more brave about it ha ha.... suspect you will not be providing me too many more pointers on what style of brew it might go well in then hey?!  ; )

image.png.aaafece4c6addc9d741ef0ee9eccb053.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

how cold they get and possibly lager cabinet.

Did some nice AG Lagers/Pils bottles for 3 months at around 2 Deg C - with fridge during summer - the lagering effect was very good.... but doing it via winter and not paying for power is way smarter Boozer good work!   And great work utilising the Bali Temps inside for secondary ferment.... ha ha ; )

Just noticed your note now Unc @UncleStavvy.... dunno about 10degC... but 3 months at 2degC was good for my All Grainers in bottles... it was the config I could do... might be better done unbottled as you say but was all that I could do.... used too much electricity but the beers were very good.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

used too much electricity but the beers were very good.

Eldest lad will be 21 in mid June. Not expecting the bitter to survive past that so a couple of weeks at 2° wont be too much power this time of year. If I had a 2nd Inkbird I would rig it up with a heater and use it to carb bottles

4 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Eldest lad will be 21 in mid June. Not expecting the bitter to survive past that so a couple of weeks at 2° wont be too much power this time of year. If I had a 2nd Inkbird I would rig it up with a heater and use it to carb bottles

Yeah I reckon nice and cold is good like 2 rather than 10....  and believe even nice cold 2 weeks will be helpful... good luck with that.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lots to think about - no bad options. I Killed the keg on the previous batch last night so back on to drinking commercial beer. Probably slow down my beer consumption which is better for the liver I guess.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Why not?  With all that malt, it can handle that much hops.

Heh I was thinking about moving this more towards a Pale than a IPA. I've changed my mind on that now more hops= more better right. Plus who wants half empty bags of hops clogging up the freezer.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:11 PM, Norris! said:

Why not? I mean really, what would be a reason not to if you can? The recipe will handle it and honestly with those 3 hops, I would be tossing whatever I could at the brew.

You are sitting real pretty right now, riwaka is just a great hop that I have tried in commercial beers and have really liked it and well galaxy and citra would go with riwaka or each other or all three like hot chocolate on a snowy day. You cannot really go wrong here with your choices it just depends on what you want to get from the addition. Since this is batch #2 since your return, I kind of suggest trying doing one hop to get to know it, but you just did a NEIPA, so I would do either equal parts all 3 or 2:1:1 with riwaka as the heavy addition, so 100g riwaka with 50g galaxy and citra, but that is just a suggestion. Good luck and I am very envious right now, the brew sounds good already

TBH I don't have a frame of reference with Riwaka hence why I was consider singling it out. The only beer I've had is Hop Nation J Juice (jedi juice), and its part of a blend of hops (I pick up nelson the more in that).

14 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I have noted in the Extreme Brewing Book that they are suggesting like 1.5 ounces or 43g.... that would like have more kick... I would be adding it green.... That is when I will need to be a bit more brave about it ha ha.... suspect you will not be providing me too many more pointers on what style of brew it might go well in then hey?!  ; )

I'm interested to hear how it goes. I poked around in radical brewing, and it didn't really have anything useful about Rosemary - other than its a Pungent Spice (no crap). I wonder rosemary  would work in a dark roasty beer with some honey could call it the Roast Dinner Beer.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NicolasW said:

I wonder rosemary  would work in a dark roasty beer

Thanks for the suggestion... I am thinking I would leave out the honey meself.... but am wondering whether Rosemary might go nicely in a rich cream dark beer or stouty thing...  good suggestion. Will notch that one up on the possibility list - thanks Nicos!

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

I had this a year or two back. Was interesting. I wouldn't drink a thousand of them but I liked the one I had enough to finish it.

Wow Popo - had not even contemplated a Wheatie... cooolio... thanks mate!  Right.  Mmmm.  Will have to do another Wheatie at some stage... so will keep that in mind!

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What sort of tones does it offer Norris mate?

The brew I remember, I was getting a lot of passionfruit from it and some citrus, but that could of been from the citra hops in it, would be my guess or the blend of the two. But it was nice. It is on my brew list, but they are so expensive here, but I guess I am just talking a few dollars difference, not even $5 for a 100g, but I could get another 50g with that $5 or so extra they cost. Anyways, that is my thought.

I am hoping my LHBS makes a recipe with them and puts it on sale. I can dream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

The brew I remember, I was getting a lot of passionfruit from it and some citrus,

Have more recently added a bit of Columbus from our friends at CPB to my Ale and was pretty happy with that... Mozzie (Mosaic) and Columbus late... is fruityliscious ; )

Over the top of a somewhat bitter base of Mozzie @30 and Enigma and Galaxy@10...  I reckon it is lovely and refreshing.  

I guess might have to put Mr Riwaka on the possible list for the future some time? 

Cheers Norris and Good Brewing!  BB

• Like 1

That sounds like a good brew. I have a nice one on tap with Columbus, simcoe and cascade, it is good. It will go well with the really fruity ale that will be done cold crashing in a few days, and already compliments the calypso and Vic secret ale, that is a little too bitter for a lawnmower drink but close.  I would try them out, I will soon, I just have to convince the cheapskate in me.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

I had this a year or two back. Was interesting. I wouldn't drink a thousand of them but I liked the one I had enough to finish it.

images (28).jpeg

I tried this too. I think it was in a beer Advent Calendar.

I had low expectations but it was surprisingly drinkable.  I would go easy on the rosemary though. I'm guessing a little goes a long way.