Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

8 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

The "Real Ale" is a cracker of a kit. As is the English Bitter. To my tastes the best kits to use as bases to do dry hopping and partial mashes with.  Even on their own they are good.  

I did 1 real ale kit and yeah I thought it was pretty awesome as a base like you said, I prefer the cerveza for my brews as  a base for partials and dry hopping, but that is just taste.

I never tried the English bitter kit but will one day. Everyone says it is awesome, just like the stout gets good reviews.

I have used the preachers wife hefe as a base for a stone and wood a couple of times. It was pretty good but I didn't like the additional cost of Thomas Cooper can over just the regular malt cans, but that was my only issue, which is just me griping.

What was the Aussie draught recipe?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Norris! said:

but I didn't like the additional cost of Thomas Cooper can over just the regular malt cans

I don't see an issue. I mean if we were just brewing the can and some LDME, then the extra expense might be worth it but given adding in grains, hops etc. why smother the expensive extract with other things which will be what we taste?

My goto for many of my brews is the Real Ale.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Doing another regular APA

3.4 kg Coopers Ale malt

.3 kg Munich

.2 kg Med crystal

.1 kg Acid malt

10 g Cal sulphate

Half whirlfloc tablet 10 min

Mash @66deg  60 min

15 g Cascade 10 m

15 Falconers flight 10 m

15 Cas flameout

15 FF flameout

20 Cas cube

20 FF cube

50 FF dry

OG 1042         IBU 30     1056 Yeast

This is my first flameout version. 😀

• Like 5

I dropped a last minute batch into the fv, I have trying to get my hands on a heap of brown crown seals and got the all clear on 72 of the babies today..., happy days.... I’m over the pet bottles so this batch will give me a tally of around 100 brown an 25 green 330ml stubbies, is to celebrate I added a coopers draught to the current coopers real ale in ferment, happy days, bottling about 60 next weekend it seems....

start with around 1.050 og so aiming for around 5.1abv 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good Stuff GCC... what brand are they - Coops?  The old old crown seal XXXX bottles used to be beauts as well years ago...

They are Redland bay brewery bottles, the lad who sold em to me used to take them there to get filled up

• Like 2

Recipe: Not so Belgian
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 41.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
20.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          21.7 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
25.00 g          Cascade [6.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           5          5.8 IBUs      -             
25.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          14.3 IBUs     -             

Belgian Pale yeast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

Recipe: Simple Saison
Style: Saison

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          10.6 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        4          -             -             
50.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           5          28.1 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [50 Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 5

Awesome brew day today. Milled grain last night. Sorted out mash and sparge water quantities last night too. All I had to do this morning was plug in and play. Was mashing by 7:30am and yeast was pitched at about midday today. 

my (Sort of) ANZAC pale ale (was meant to be all AUS/NZ ingredients but I changed a few things up last minute)

joe White Pale malt

gladfield Munich 

gladfield light crystal 

Warrior at 60 (originally was Going to be  POR but I like what warrior does)

motueka and taiheke at FO for 20.

us-05 (originally was meant to be WLP aus ale yeast but again, changed my mind not having done a starter)

37ibu

was down a few points pre boil but got them back and ended up at 1.050 as per BS predictions. 

keen for this one to be done. I’ve never used NZ hops before 

47A4E770-3CBE-4ADC-864D-FEA362113AFE.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Awesome brew day today. Milled grain last night. Sorted out mash and sparge water quantities last night too. All I had to do this morning was plug in and play. Was mashing by 7:30am and yeast was pitched at about midday today. 

my (Sort of) ANZAC pale ale (was meant to be all AUS/NZ ingredients but I changed a few things up last minute)

joe White Pale malt

gladfield Munich 

gladfield light crystal 

Warrior at 60 (originally was Going to be  POR but I like what warrior does)

motueka and taiheke at FO for 20.

us-05 (originally was meant to be WLP aus ale yeast but again, changed my mind not having done a starter)

37ibu

was down a few points pre boil but got them back and ended up at 1.050 as per BS predictions. 

keen for this one to be done. I’ve never used NZ hops before

Nice clear wort buddy.

• Like 3

Recipe: Aussie Draught
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 16.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
2.50 kg          Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain         1          82.0 %        1.63 L        
0.05 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         2          1.6 %         0.03 L        
0.50 kg          Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil] (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         3          16.4 %        0.32 L        
20.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          22.4 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
1.0 pkg          California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54)          Yeast         6          -             -             

Upped the sugar to decrease the flavour

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Putting down a hazy pale today. Ignore the temp and the yeast, I have not decided on those yet, but probably will use kveik or US05, maybe the kolsch yeast but leaning towards the Kveik.

Screenshot_20200522-091545_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20200522-091605_Firefox.jpg

I noticed your fg at 1.016, it makes me feel better about my Real Ale which has been settled at 1.015 for a couple of days, I’m still a novice but I guess I was waiting for it to get to 1.010 or 1.011 like all my other brews have.... guess no need and it’s time to bottle....👍🏽

6 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I noticed your fg at 1.016, it makes me feel better about my Real Ale which has been settled at 1.015 for a couple of days, I’m still a novice but I guess I was waiting for it to get to 1.010 or 1.011 like all my other brews have.... guess no need and it’s time to bottle....👍🏽

The SG rate slows considerably as the brew approaches FV.  I've had some drop 20+ points in the first day but towards the end it can be 1 - 2 points. What I haven't really done at all is a straight K&K so I am not sure how abruptly the ferment ends with those. If you're sure it's 1.015 go ahead but if there's a chance it might have been 16 then 15, maybe wait a day to be sure?

Or perhaps boost the temp a couple of degrees to make sure?

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

I think it will get below that but we will see. Some don't, but with a low mash I think it will get down there, I am not sure if the oats were added as fermentables in my software, I added those in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

The SG rate slows considerably as the brew approaches FV.  I've had some drop 20+ points in the first day but towards the end it can be 1 - 2 points. What I haven't really done at all is a straight K&K so I am not sure how abruptly the ferment ends with those. If you're sure it's 1.015 go ahead but if there's a chance it might have been 16 then 15, maybe wait a day to be sure?

Or perhaps boost the temp a couple of degrees to make sure?

Not planning on bottling for a few days anyway so it will give me a few days to test

• Like 1

Had a SG issue with the English bitter I brewed the other day. 
Missed total OG by like 8 points. I’ll have to add some dry malt to it to make it worth the ferment. 
probably make it a drinkable but not great. 

Adjusted my grain mill and today for this one, got bang on OG 1.062

DE7C3C17-148F-46AE-8A6E-EEC186EE0C79.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 4