Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

On 4/13/2020 at 11:40 AM, Hairy said:

An Azacca and El Dorado Pale Ale today. It should be a smashable beer.

Did you add anything else of note to it Hairy? I’m about to start an “XPA” using the same hops plus light crystal grain and a malt extract...

6 minutes ago, TonySchmidt said:

Did you add anything else of note to it Hairy? I’m about to start an “XPA” using the same hops plus light crystal grain and a malt extract...

About 10g Centennial @ 60 minutes for a bittering addition.

The rest was Azacca and El Dorado at 5 minutes and whirlpool plus dry hop.

Simple grain bill: 4.75kg American Ale malt and 250g Munich.

I took a sample tonight. Very tasty.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 5

Recipe: Harri's Beer
Brewer: Grumpy
Asst Brewer: Harri
Style: Australian Pub Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.036 SG
Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.70 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          89.4 %        1.76 L        
0.02 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         2          0.7 %         0.01 L        
0.30 kg          Dememera Sugar [Boil] (3.9 EBC)                  Sugar         3          9.9 %         0.19 L        
15.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          17.0 IBUs     -             
3.65 g           Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins)                       Fining        5          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Californian Lager (Mangrove Jack's  #M54)        Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

Covid Gold (20 litre batch)

• 2kg GF American Ale
  • 500g GF Munich
  • 550g LME
  • 20g Nelson @40min 
  • 20g Kohatu @5min
  • 20g Nelson @FO
  • 20g Kohatu @FO
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Nottingham Yeast

Expected:  | ABV=4.3% | IBU=25 | EBC=8.3 |

Haven't used Nelson for a long time...   thought I'd give it another chance paired up with the much mellower Kohatu.  Undecided about dry-hopping but if I do it will be an additional dose of Kohatu only.

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

Another early 20th century replica beer day today.  This is the 1917 Reschs XXX.   Will be fermented with MJ41 Belgium Ale @24c and I hope to get that to throw some esters.  The syrup get added to the boil as the last addition at 15 minutes 

Capture.PNG

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 5

Brewing my pilsner today. 21 litre batch based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Mash schedule is 50 minutes at 63C, 25 minutes at 71/72C, 78C mashout. Boil time 90 minutes but may be extended if required. Also didn't use chalk but did use about .4g of gypsum. Left out the acid malt too as last time I found a bunch of weevils in it, and it seemed not that fresh anyway. Might start buying that in 1kg lots instead of 2kg from now on. Fermentation will begin at 12C and be raised to 18C after 5 or 6 days.

Est Original Gravity: 1.0478 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0107 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 45.0 IBUs
Est Color: 11.4 EBC
33.00 L Distilled Water Water 1 - -
0.44 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
0.40 g Chalk (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
0.34 g Baking Soda (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
0.32 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
4.000 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 93.8 % 2.61 L
0.150 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 % 0.10 L
0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.3 % 0.07 L
0.015 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.4 % 0.01 L
40.00 g Saaz [3.60 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 19.0 IBUs -
40.00 g Saaz [3.60 %] - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 17.0 IBUs -
30.00 g Saaz [3.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 6.0 IBUs -
30.00 g Saaz [3.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 13 3.0 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) [124.21 ml]
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Boil time 90 minutes but may be extended if required......

Left out the acid malt too as last time I found a bunch of weevils in it...

@Otto Von Blotto Kelsey mate tell me why you do the extended boil - I have done so in the past - but after one burn-on event (got new element replaced by supplier on warranty - and then since have actually moved to different element type) I have been a bit gun shy of long boil.... so tell me what do you see as the advantages... please?  Dropping proteins out?

As for Weevils. Hate Weevils. Rotten Bassstards. Hopefully is too cold for them down here.  How was the acid malt stored?

And BoPils is gold... that was what was the main malt in this lovely fella now all gone since keg blew last night

: (  boo hoo hoo.   At least it was great while it lasted ha ha : )

image.png.f9f8259d5df3396bf925183473422ba4.png

• Like 1

DMS removal is the main reason for the long boil but also the hopping. The recipe is based on urquell. 

I think I might have added an extra 500g pilsner malt to it, the pre boil SG was 1.0427 in 31 litres equating to 98.9% mash efficiency, adding the extra into the recipe makes it 88.5% which is closer to the mark I usually get. If I run with the usual add 2 points it works out at 103.6% which is clearly impossible. 

It was posted recently that pure water at 20 degrees should read .998 on a hydrometer, so I did some googling and found multiple sources confirming this. Also that it reads 1.000 if the water is 4 degrees. Mine has always read .998 in 20 degree distilled water, so it must have been accurate the whole time. As such, I didn't add the 2 points to this SG reading. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

DMS removal is the main reason for the long boil but also the hopping. The recipe is based on urquell. 

I think I might have added an extra 500g pilsner malt to it, the pre boil SG was 1.0427 in 31 litres equating to 98.9% mash efficiency, adding the extra into the recipe makes it 88.5% which is closer to the mark I usually get. If I run with the usual add 2 points it works out at 103.6% which is clearly impossible. 

It was posted recently that pure water at 20 degrees should read .998 on a hydrometer, so I did some googling and found multiple sources confirming this. Also that it reads 1.000 if the water is 4 degrees. Mine has always read .998 in 20 degree distilled water, so it must have been accurate the whole time. As such, I didn't add the 2 points to this SG reading. 

I FUBAR'd my coopers stick trying to get it to read 1.00 at 20°. Contacted the on-line store and they kindly mailed me a new one. This one reads the same as yours @Otto Von Blotto so I've taken the 1.051 in the sparkling ale as gospel

17 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

I FUBAR'd my coopers stick trying to get it to read 1.00 at 20°. Contacted the on-line store and they kindly mailed me a new one. This one reads the same as yours @Otto Von Blotto so I've taken the 1.051 in the sparkling ale as gospel

At least with extract you can calculate the OG based on the amount of dissolved sugar per litre. Not so easy with AG. What did you use in it and what volume?

6 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

And now the bonus question.   How can tell us why?   The answer after the break.  

I'd guess the 4° is the densest point of water - as it approaches 0° it begins to expand into ice so less dense and as it warms above 4° it also expands. But I can't think why 20° would be the standard for measuring it at .998 - tradition perhaps? And would it really drop only 0.002 in 16° of warming?

I had my 1st negative experience with the free software I use.  My OGs normally come in about 3 points higher than predicted which is not big deal as my efficiency is obviously a bit higher than what i have it set at.  So this last brew was an historic recipe from "Bronzed brews" a 1917 Reschs XXX which had 2.5kg of grain and 900g of Golden Syrup. The recipe was suppose have an ABV of a tad shy of 4%.  The OG from the mash was predicted at 1035 but it came in a whopping 14 points about expected at 1049. So I put the brew in Ian's spreadsheet to check and the OG. Ian's predicted an OG of 1044 which is closer to what I usually have for a 4% brew. So now the 4%ish ABV has been blown out of the water and will be over 5%. As of this morning it is already at 1016 less than 48 hours after pitching.  My predicted has not been amended from 1005 to 1013.  I am a bit perplexed and must have something to do with the way the software calculated the syrup. 

6 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'd guess the 4° is the densest point of water - as it approaches 0° it begins to expand into ice so less dense and as it warms above 4° it also expands. But I can't think why 20° would be the standard for measuring it at .998 - tradition perhaps? And would it really drop only 0.002 in 16° of warming?

According to my temperature correction calculator, yes. Just plugged in .998 at 20 degrees with a calibration of 4, came up with .99982 or something. Reversed it to 1 at 4 degrees with calibration at 20 and it said .9981, which is consistent with what my hydrometer reads at 20. I'll have to take a reading with chilled water and see if it says 1. 

14 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Because of the metric system....

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

Is it Aussie software and maybe golden syrup is different OS?

No it has it in the fermentation and has the potential extraction as 1048 which is the same as sugar. Also had the gross fermentables as 3.4 kgs so it took the syrup into account. Maybe  the calculation that is programmed for Golden Syrup is wrong.  Got me stuffed. The last 1917 replica I did had nearly 2kg of sugars in it and the OG prediction was right for that.  Anyway it is no big deal so I have a beer 1 -1.5% higher ABV than i usually have.  However, it would be a disaster if it was 15 points lower than predicted and i had a 2.5% beer.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

How can tell us why? 

Who or How?

OR

Who can tell us How?

Seems to have an impact on language the placement of letters in a word... mmm... bring on the Babel Fish.

Edited by Bearded Burbler

16 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Who or How?

OR

Who can tell us How?

Seems to have an impact on language the placement of letters in a word... mmm... bring on the Babel Fish.

Bugger my typos. it is either fat fingers or fast fingers... it was who... 

• Haha 1