Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA' GOT, EH!? 2020

Beerlust

Hi Brewers, Has been awhile since I've posted. Made this awhile ago but was a nice drop so i'd thought i'd share this.

APA

3.3 kg Coopers pale 

.3 kg Munich 2

.2 kg Med crystal

.2 kg Flaked oats

.1 kg Acid malt

10g Cal sulphate

15g Cascade 20 m 

10 Galaxy 10m

20 Cascade cube

20 Galaxy cube

25 each dry

Half whirlfloc tablet 10 m

OG1040     IBU 26   Yeast 1056

Cheers !

• Like 5

On 4/7/2020 at 6:24 PM, MitchBastard said:

I’m fermenting it with US-05

Mate I reckon it will be tasty!!!  Have been wanting to do something similar for a while - please advise once it's in the glass.  I would call it a Sparkling Ale of sorts mate.  Good ol' US05!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Bearded Burbler day 6 in the fv today. Took a reading and it’s dried out to 1.008. Tastes pretty good to be honest. The German pilsner malt coming through literally gave me a little flashback to sitting in A town square in frankfurt mid last year people watching sipping on some local liquid 

PURE GOLD

Well my 1st attempted stout was more like a Double Brown or an English Bitter so rather than mess around and try to make something with what i had on hand. I have been to the LHBS and bought the right stuff and this is mashing as I write. It is David Heath's Irish Stout recipe.  He picked this up while working as a commercial brewer in Ireland. So this should be closer to the real deal.    In his clip he did not disclose which recipe it is but did say once tasted it is obvious and it is quick as only has a 30 minute boil. I wonder!  Hmmm interesting

Stout.PNG

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 2

Yesterday's efforts, after bottling my 3rd XPA. 

Coopers Draught with Woolies draught can as extra LME. Sugar added as per SWMBO prefs. 😄 

image.png.955c16fc0abc2fb36eb46c1d55c59305.png

Second brew is another version of the recent APA that is so smooth even though still hasn't got to 2 weeks in the bottle. The 'Light Crystal' is actually Light Crystal Rye' - I haven't been able to find details of it to add it to the spreadsheet DB.

image.png.37a9354fec48b10dedd3ca878dd74ae7.png

The yeast was half the trub each from the XPA I just bottled. Saved it out leaving some roughage in the FV, then after it settled, poured it into a measuring jug, leaving more particulate behind, then half in each brew.

Within 2 hours both brews had 2 cm or more of 'head' on them and by 10PM about 5 cms. This AM both have about 7 cm+ of fine looking Kraussen.

I'd love to find out brewing details for the Woolies cans - the one thing wrong with using them is it throws out the OG calcs in the SS. 

Brew day tomorrow, doing a bit of a leftovers beer again, sort of a pale ale/English bitter type thing. Pretty standard pale ale malt bill with some chocolate malt added to darken it a bit. Challenger FWH, Magnum bittering with some Centennial and Styrian Golding late. Probably won't dry hop it. Fermented with 1469. I'll post the full recipe tomorrow.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Popo said:

20g Motueka @ FWH

I have only used Motueka once. It 12g at 15minutes in a 43 litre batch and boy it left a pronounced  flavour. Glad i was light handed. It reminds me very much of Nelson S.  Have you bittered with Motueka previously?  If so how is the bitterness? I imagine it would be a bit like bittering with Cascade.  

After many brews attempting to get hop flavour and aroma by FWHing I have given up on FWH. I was definitely getting bitterness from that process. 

So I have gone back to minimal bittering, say 3-5gms (in 28L boil), then a vary late boil addition at 5-8m. 

What gave me the hop flavour/aroma hit was to cube hop 50gms ensuring transfer to cube was under 77c. (no-chill process)

This British Golden Ale, to me is superb, and has permanently changed my brew process back to regular late hopping. I do not dry-hop anymore. My additions are commando and my final kegged product is clear.

Screenshot_20200418-164951.thumb.jpg.d5990ce8c7412c82a181720793b4ac9b.jpgScreenshot_20200418-165017.thumb.jpg.29d19aa403ac030622914539e6505ef9.jpg

Cheesels 🙂

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Worthog said:

After many brews attempting to get hop flavour and aroma by FWHing I have given up on FWH. I was definitely getting bitterness from that process. 

So I have gone back to minimal bittering, say 3-5gms (in 28L boil), then a vary late boil addition at 5-8m. 

What gave me the hop flavour/aroma hit was to cube hop 50gms ensuring transfer to cube was under 77c. (no-chill process)

This British Golden Ale, to me is superb, and has permanently changed my brew process back to regular late hopping. I do not dry-hop anymore. My additions are commando and my final kegged product is clear.

Cheesels 🙂

This is exactly the direction im heading.

• Like 1

I still do it with pilsners, the difference between that and bittering with Magnum or whatever is noticeable to me. With hoppy pale ales though, not sure if it is or not. With these I'll either bitter it with Magnum or use a FWH addition, not both. Just depends what hops are in it. 

27 minutes ago, Worthog said:

his British Golden Ale, to me is superb, and has permanently changed my brew process back to regular late hopping. I do not dry-hop anymore. My additions are commando and my final kegged product is clear.

100% agree with the no dry hopping. But I still go for a decent IBU backbone from early addition bittering hops. But all my flavour and aroma hopping is done in the last 15 minutes.  I go bigger and have stopped the hop stands for the moment. So I chill as fast as possible then pitch that day. It works for my taste and the style of beers I am brewing now. However, realistically it does not suit all beers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

With hoppy pale...  I'll either bitter it with Magnum or use a FWH addition, not both..... 

Good point. When I was FWHing PA's, I was still dropping in a 3g 60m boil addition because my understanding was no bitterness - only "inferred" bitterness - from FWH process.

Cheers

4 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I have only used Motueka once. It 12g at 15minutes in a 43 litre batch and boy it left a pronounced  flavour. Glad i was light handed. It reminds me very much of Nelson S.  Have you bittered with Motueka previously?  If so how is the bitterness? I imagine it would be a bit like bittering with Cascade.  

Hey @MartyG1525230263,

Using Motueka in this beer is a first for me. I have not used it at all previously. We'll see how we go. I tasted a sample from just before I put in the flameout hops and bitterness was solid but good.

I can't claim the recipe. It's a New Zealand Pilsner from BYO magazine. I kept the FWH the same but adjusted the late hops to flameout to suit no chilling. 

Edited by Popo
  • Like 1

Doing a couple of batches for my brother. 

4kg mash of JW ale malt @66c. 30 min boil with Irish moss at 10. FO 40gm centennial. No chilled. Split in two tomorrow morning into two fermenters and added with a tin of coopers pale ale each. Fermented with CCA and US05. Dry hopped with 30gm of centennial each. Should be nice easy drinking for him. Will keep a couple of bottles from the batches to see which is the winner.

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 4