Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

23 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yeah wow - NB - ha ha - I am up for that Fizzy Juice?!

It looks the goods, wouldnt say juicy its a bit drier but definitely fruity. Not good at describitons but I taste low bitterness, citrus and pine. You wouldn't know its 6.5% 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

yep

Do you think the flavour and aroma is from the yeast or the Amarillo or Both? Would it have that orange fruit flavour and aroma without the use of Amarillo and if you used magnum?

Sorry about the 50 questions, when I don't know something I just ask.

• Like 1

2019 Coopers Vintage Ale home brew version. I still reckon the commercial version covers the alcohol better. Not a bad, nicely matured beer but again, the commercial version matured better. This one is a little home brewy if you know what I mean. Either way, happy brew day!

IMG_6389.thumb.jpg.77a33095732c7ba2c95366142687a145.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I still reckon the commercial version covers the alcohol better.

It might be controversial, but I disagree.  I might have got a bad batch, but I think that last year's 2019 commercial Vintage Ale was a very poor beer.  By comparison, my ROTM version was one of the best beers I have made.  I gave my brothers one of each to do their own side-by-side taste test and they agreed.

I still have one of the commercial stubbies to go.  Not because I am ageing it, but because I do not like it very much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It might be controversial, but I disagree.  I might have got a bad batch, but I think that last year's 2019 commercial Vintage Ale was a very poor beer.  By comparison, my ROTM version was one of the best beers I have made.  I gave my brothers one of each to do their own side-by-side taste test and they agreed.

I still have one of the commercial stubbies to go.  Not because I am ageing it, but because I do not like it very much.

Well, in the beginning, I actually liked my own better but over time, I found the commercial one matured better. I had one yesterday to compare it with the new 2020 version and it had changed a lot since last year. My home brew version on the other hand doesn't seem to have matured as well and I distinctly dislike the strong alcohol flavour. The Coopers version doesn't seem to have this issue. I have one more stubby left as well. I do like the 2020 version though. It's very different to last year's and so far has been rather nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Well, in the beginning, I actually liked my own better but over time, I found the commercial one matured better. I had one yesterday to compare it with the new 2020 version and it had changed a lot since last year. My home brew version on the other hand doesn't seem to have matured as well and I distinctly dislike the strong alcohol flavour. The Coopers version doesn't seem to have this issue. I have one more stubby left as well. I do like the 2020 version though. It's very different to last year's and so far has been rather nice.

Unfortunately I did not get to let my homebrew version mature.  This was one of the beers that got diastaticus into it.  Therefore I drank them all early.  I did not notice the alcohol flavour it in.  Although I did taste it in my 2018 version.

My 2020 slab is due to arrive early next week.

• Like 3

Apologies for the not-so-festive photo but it is important in a cupppla ways:

1. The lovely crisp and feisty AG IPA most recently been kegged.... and

2. Last time that that lovely Spiegelau Ale Glass was seen alive on the weekend...     : (  

image.thumb.png.ee81189f1396b242fc9c31a35c9e51d7.png

...prior to an unfortunate plunge to the terrible unforgiving tiles... fortunately in a mostly empty state ; )

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 5

2 Magpies pale ale finished carbing after 24 hours at 50 PSI, taste good, the oats add some complexity to the mouthfeel and body. One of the brewers at 2 birds said that she adds the oats to round out the pale ale and I would say it is doing that. Good citrus aroma and flavours, I used a lot of some home grown cascade and the grapefruit is coming in strong but balanced by some dank from the Mosaic. I am getting some floral aromas also, maybe from the centennial.

I think it was 9 or 10 days grain to glass with kveik.

20200819_151957.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 11

@Bearded Burbler 

No buddy,  dry wheat malt extract. The Coopers liquid wheat extract is 50/50 wheat & malt, still an excellent base but I prefer more wheat.

The Black Rock whispering wheat pilsen/wheat kit is killer, but in the spirit of supporting Coopers I've been using the euro pilsener as my base.

Big fan of the MJM20 yeast too.. Very erdinga.

• Like 2