Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

5 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Great looking stout mate and it tastes good for such a young stout too. Next years show we will enter a couple in the homebrew competition 👍

It's on!! Can't wait. Now you've got me really thinking. Yeah I'm not beating your Big Fig Stout in a competition. You can't beat delicious. I'll have to change things up. But it's on brother. I never back down from a challenge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

It's on!! Can't wait. Now you've got me really thinking. Yeah I'm not beating your Big Fig Stout in a competition. You can't beat delicious. I'll have to change things up. But it's on brother. I never back down from a challenge.

giphy.gif.f1e89893923f2ade2a1a68befd73701a.gif

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha better high FG mistake than low FG mistake I say Lusty - sounds very nice!    Wotsyer forecast ABV?

With the higher FG, it's around 3.9% ABV.

10 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Lovely Lusty. I'll have the beer, then can I have the glass? I had that glass and broke it. I can't find another. 

There are plenty at the Coopers Brewery Shop. Not sure, but you may also be able to buy them at the Coopers Ale house.

Strange that Coopers don't offer them in the online store.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Now for the apple cider, not sweet again 🤨🤨🤨 ok flavour just not sweet at all

15995497244396862588572938004622.jpg

If you used juice then the yeast will ferment it out dry, you have to back sweeten it with more juice. If you bottle and have back sweetened, then this is dangerous, if you keg it is not an issue. If you bottle you might look into using non fermentable sweetener during the end of fermentation if using juice. MJ makes good ciders that you can change the level of sweetness to dry to very sweet.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

With the higher FG, it's around 3.9% ABV.

Cheers Lusty - think I had a brain explosion - was thinking higher OG better than lower OG... come what may... I suspect it is still a very nice easy drinking refreshing quaffer?

5 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

My first cider effort, apple n blackcurrant.... Nice, might need a bit more time, not overly sweet

4 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Now for the apple cider, not sweet again 🤨🤨🤨 ok flavour just not sweet at all

I did recommend the above method to you before you created these two ciders.

Maybe time to give it a try... 😉

Lusty.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Any danger of explosions if bottling tho Lusty - if you bottle your cider early to keep the sweetness?

You have to monitor the gravity as in Lusty's Aug 8th post and bottle with a few points left, 6 he noted. Use PET bottles to reduce the risk of bottle bombs.

• Thanks 1

For a lack of a better name, the 2 birds pale ale variant I made is nice. The keg has to be near empty because it is pretty clear. Tastes nice, clean and balanced, the aroma has subsided and changed some, I am getting what might be blueberries, maybe from the Mosaic, something not citrusy but nice. 

Happy Wednesday.

Norris

20200909_162216.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 7

I do usually play a bit more quietly during the week and have a few alk free days but unfortunately today's turn of events requires an uplifting brew... this is the latest AG brew split with yeasties W34/70 on some and US05 on rest...  This is the W34/70 'Lager' variant...

Still carbing up... but got a few bubbles nicely already... ABV from original 1070 Wort coming in at around 7.7%... is one HONKING brew Woohoo!

Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt, Bo Pils, Munich, good old Wheat plus Joe White Pale...  bittering Hallertau and Perle... then late for tone Citra and Perle... think the Citra and Perle late combo is giving nice spicy tone - festive one might say?!  Will be interesting to see the result from the Ale Yeast (TBA) ha ha              Cheers Brewers     ; )

image.png.14eb8a88a3531934ecbaa4e5d2aa1926.png

Think the Song for this brew is:

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Looks good BB. I am going to do a Beer Lao clone tomorrow and will use W34/70 for the 1st time. It will be a pressure ferment in the Fermzilla and I am looking forward to that.

Gold.  I don't work for Fermentis (yeast manufacturer) and after recent posts - will you sprinkle or do a yeast starter KM?

I think that I am a sprinkle person. It seems that Fermentis says that a sprinkle is OK.

It will be interesting to see how this goes as it looks like the OG will be c.1.051 and normally you would use a lot of W34/70 at lager temps, however I am thinking I will just use 1 sachet of W34/70 for this pressure ferment as it will be at 22° and see what happens.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 9:27 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Any danger of explosions if bottling tho Lusty - if you bottle your cider early to keep the sweetness?

The pasteurisation process kills the yeast at the slighter higher (& sweeter) SG, thus it cannot ferment any further.

@Goldcoast Crow

Regardless of whether you adopt a back sweetening method or the bottle earlier at a higher gravity method I mentioned, do yourself a big favour & do a little reading on the process so that you are confident & prepared when the time comes to do it with a batch.

The pasteurisation process forces absorbed CO² out of solution that creates pressure in the head space of the bottle, so does need to be done carefully.

Below is a link to an article (with pictures) detailing the process of pasteurisation using the back sweetening method.

How to Pasteurise Your Bottles for Sweet Carbonated Cider

Best of luck with it if you give it a try,

Lusty.

• Like 2

I have been enjoying a few glasses of the Mosaic Amber Ale (with the accidental higher FG) since I kegged it.

I poured one when I got home from work yesterday & found myself really analysing its flavours & body etc. & then like a Frisbee I didn't see coming, it hit me. It reminded me of a barleywine beer. Given barleywine's are traditionally quite high ABV beers, I can't really call mine that @ 3.9% ABV.

However being a very lateral thinker, I'm claiming I've created a new beer classification......"Barleywine Light".

🤣

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Drinking my Kveik Voss Partial Mash  IPA, with Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe 6.6% ABV

Lots of orange coming through, bloody tasty!!

Its a hazy beast, can’t see this clearing though, it has been 4 weeks in the keg at 1-2 degC.

Can see why it is popular for hazy pales and New England’s etc.

I do like it flavour wise  but  I think I will only use it if I need to get something in the keg within a week, as I do like a clear-ish beer.

Will stick to US05 for the next one or might give Verdant IPA a go as well.

Cheers

James

8AAC18FC-2EF6-4B86-90E6-8AE971398634.jpeg

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 5