Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

11 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

What was the OG?

1.036 -  a little higher than expected. Efficiency was quite good this time (80%).

I just did a quick calc actually and it looks like it's more like 4.2% ABV, and that's before priming.   Hmmm... so, comparing to a similar brew made with a larger grist (3.8kg) and less attenuation it seems the kcal/litre aren't actually all that much lower.   In fact all I've really achieved here is swapped out calories from residual carbs with calories from alcohol, i.e. less carbs but consequently more alcohol so total calories remain about the same.   🙄    

12 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

1.036 -  a little higher than expected. Efficiency was quite good this time (80%).

I just did a quick calc actually and it looks like it's more like 4.2% ABV, and that's before priming.   Hmmm... so, comparing to a similar brew made with a larger grist (3.8kg) and less attenuation it seems the kcal/litre aren't actually all that much lower.   In fact all I've really achieved here is swapped out calories from residual carbs with calories from alcohol, i.e. less carbs but consequently more alcohol so total calories remain about the same.   🙄    

It's all how you market it.

• Like 1

Hi Legends,

Drinking Partial No4 SCCM  IPA just now.

3 days in the keg and it is singing!!

Bloody Lovely!!

I think that I much prefer this US-05 brewed beer that was made  to the same recipe, than the Kveik Voss  brewed beer.

The US-05 version is cleaner, the tropical fruit - mango and lime Flavour hops are more present and is pretty much crystal clear after 3 days.

The Kveik version was fruity but somehow ‘woody’ as well in my opinion and I am not sure if it is for me after swigging on this US-05 version - quite  possibly the best beer I have ever made!

Wonder if I would say the same thing if they were both served in opaque cups though?

I do enjoy a clearer beer to the eye for some reason, maybe it’s a hangover from my Euro Lager swilling days??

Cheers

James

387CD50F-252E-4FF3-95A3-FC21D01A9BBA.jpeg

78DEA72A-B0F1-4618-8CAC-F89A1934D21F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

More rationalisation of resources when the kegs run out.... a lovely bottle of Rauchbier from February... I think this, out of the big swingy, is even better than the keg!!!

The malt bill:

image.png.9229df8f2b22849d05a64372d56bff13.png

And Galaxy for bittering and Tettnang for the finish...  it's funny I am appreciating this so much more a while later... 🙃

image.thumb.png.262c91d0e9717c1b1ec2d646ae10ded5.png

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Rye IPA is finished...

A tragedy it is gone!

Tell me what is the nice input of rye in the malt bill?

I have a bit in my Altbier now in ferment... and am interested to see what the Rye might bring... Brewers say - sort of - a bit of spice... 

On 9/23/2020 at 8:11 AM, BlackSands said:

i.e. less carbs but consequently more alcohol so total calories remain about the same.

Yes! When I was losing weight I had the calorie count per glass calculated to include that in my daily intake. Worked quite well actually.

• Like 1

Belgian Chocolate Stout

Definite chocolate-y aroma.

This is the one that finished at 1.025 so quite a sweet flavour, I guess it could be partly from the vanilla bean, but more sweet than vanilla-ry.  Nice and easy to drink.  Barely 4.6% ABV.  More like a dark ale than a stout.  Still okay, but not exactly what the recipe intended.

IMG_1937.JPG.5b9de9e834da31757b353b515849b600.JPG

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Belgian Chocolate Stout

Definite chocolate-y aroma.

This is the one that finished at 1.025 so quite a sweet flavour, I guess it could be partly from the vanilla bean, but more sweet than vanilla-ry.  Nice and easy to drink.  Barely 4.6% ABV.  More like a dark ale than a stout.  Still okay, but not exactly what the recipe intended.

IMG_1937.JPG.5b9de9e834da31757b353b515849b600.JPG

Looks like a lovely beer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

I always go 1 kg. 15% or around that. 

Rightio - will have to crank it up a bit - did not put in that much - but can up it the next time.

Have you used Rye Malt in amber/lighter coloured beers or just in darker beers mate?

All grain, Fig, Coffee, Chocolate Stout. Courtesy of @Hoppy81

Young in the bottle he kegged 19 litres. Quite easily by a long way the nicest stout I've ever had. There is a heap of flavours going on. It's like drinking a Cuban Cigar. Hands down gold medal stout. I should know I'm a stout connisoure. I'm not beating this in a competition.

IMG20200928090458.jpg

• Like 6