Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

Back to the future... a long ago sensational keg of Munich Lager long gone... the but lo and behold... a festy little old stubbler in the back dim dark recesses of the fridge... lagered beautifully for a few months... perfectly crystal clear and just pure spun Gold?!  Grain Hops Yeast and Water... no filters no floc no nothing.... just pure beer and cold and time...Yummo.  The things yer hafta do when yer kegs run out ha ha ; )

image.thumb.png.982bf326bff634b11a9d723cd3235c7e.png

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

H4a now has a proper name. Since it features HORT 4337 hops, it shall be called The HORTiculturalist 🙂 

Mate that beer looks the goods... very nice indeed... fine bubble structure... creamy top... great colour... luvyerwork.

• Thanks 1

This was mostly in volume a creamy nitro brew out of the keg under the alias of "Bushkenny"... quite nice the remnant in the swingy... plenty of bubbles... somehow managed to blow the swingtop off during opening - no frothing - just lots of CO2 ha ha... is nice but was nicer out the keg for this style of beer:

image.thumb.png.0fa1913df8dcae470393515a0fbbb3db.png

• Like 7

Ha ha struck Gold - Black IPA from an age ago... maybe down on hoppage but creamy mouthfeel and some coffee/chocolate there yum... the things yer hafta do when the kegs are done.... clean out the fridge woohoo.... all manner of discoveries to be encountered !?!

image.thumb.png.d85ad7714495d53f40a5a1755485b511.png

• Like 5

impatient to try my first batch with a steep and hops so giving the fair drinkum pale a quick sample after 8 days in bottles.. and yeah probably still needs a week to get to where it needs to be but so far the best tasting one that i've made and well worth the added effort

IMG_6035.thumb.jpg.97ca7c52361519bfe7a935a4ba82f21b.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stickers said:

impatient to try my first batch with a steep and hops

Naughty Boy going early - but great news the new festive brew is proving to be a winner and the great potential of tasty things to come Stickers!!!  Great job!  Must advise in a few weeks when things have developed a little further?!

• Like 1

This is a first attempt at producing a lower calorie beer.  In an attempt to achieve that I've used a modest 3.2kg grist and added enzymes which allowed the Nottingham yeast to ferment this down to 1.004 landing at around 3.8% ABV.  I was expecting this to produce a somewhat thin mouthfeel but to be honest it doesn't really seem any different to other beers that have finished at much higher FG's.   The other thing I wanted to experience in this one was Rakau hops.  They're quite cheap and though my memory of them was that they were rather underwhelming I thought I'd give them another try... with a higher late addition dosing this time!  Well, after a good long pull on this beer, and a good swill round the mouth it would indeed seem that they most definitely are a very underwhelming hop!  😄   There aint much going on with these hops at all!   

Anyway, aside from that it's still a pleasant enough beer, but next time I'll definitely be using different hops in the recipe!  

RakauBitterSep2020-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

This is a first attempt at producing a lower calorie beer.  In an attempt to achieve that I've used a modest 3.2kg grist and added enzymes which allowed the Nottingham yeast to ferment this down to 1.004 landing at around 3.8% ABV.  I was expecting this to produce a somewhat thin mouthfeel but to be honest it doesn't really seem any different to other beers that have finished at much higher FG's.   The other thing I wanted to experience in this one was Rakau hops.  They're quite cheap and though my memory of them was that they were rather underwhelming I thought I'd give them another try... with a higher late addition dosing this time!  Well, after a good long pull on this beer, and a good swill round the mouth it would indeed seem that they most definitely are a very underwhelming hop!  😄   There aint much going on with these hops at all!   

Anyway, aside from that it's still a pleasant enough beer, but next time I'll definitely be using different hops in the recipe!  

RakauBitterSep2020-1.jpg

Looks pretty good, with a nice looking head on it. Pretty clear too.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 3:33 PM, Ben 10 said:

Nice one. Endless variations of beer that doesn't taste like beer.

I need to do a cube sour again soon. Thinking staminade inspired lemon lime gose.

Thanks mate. 

sounds great. Have you had the Sierra Nevada agave/lime gose? 
im not up with the style but that was quite nice. They always have good beers so I assume it’s received well? 

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

This is a first attempt at producing a lower calorie beer.  In an attempt to achieve that I've used a modest 3.2kg grist and added enzymes which allowed the Nottingham yeast to ferment this down to 1.004 landing at around 3.8% ABV.

What was the OG?