Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2020?

BlackSands

On 8/6/2020 at 9:14 PM, iBooz2 said:

So now being locked in, locked down, locked up, again in the big Melbourne "Chook Pen"

Good luck with it Boozer - at least you have a lovely beer to sup upon and you are still 6ft up and not down and that is a beautiful thing!

Some may even say... festive!  ; )

On 8/8/2020 at 5:19 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Galaxy and El Dorado IPA. In the keg since Wednesday. A great drop. Nice and simple grain bill.  

Wow Paddy!  That looks good enough to drink!?!  Nice work mate.

Trust you did not leave it sitting there to long otherwise festive doggler would've been slurping on it?!  🐕

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, Beerlust said:

Maybe I should have done this AG thing earlier.

Bloooooooody Beauty Lusty!!!

Great stuff and welcome aboard the good ship HMAS AllGrainer!

And sounds like a very nice drop to kick the new game off with!

Nice work mate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So do you think Christina lower PSI will equate to less sulphurous tones?

That is what I think. Sulphur production is a sign the yeast is stressed. Pressure and cold are both examples of stress. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

Just trying my ( version ) Coopers XPA from the keg vs Coopers XPA Can.

My version on the left, commercial on the right.

Let me start by saying I had to substitute Lemondrop with Cascade as couldn’t get any of the former, and used Morgan’s Pale Ale Yeast,  other than that I followed the recipe as per normal.

( I have now got my hands on some Lemondrop so will put in the next batch )

Different look, mine is darker.

First impressions on taste, mine tastes maltier than the Commercial one, hmmm 🤔 

Still very nice & close in taste to the can version so I’m not complaining.

Overall pleased with this, might try the Commercial Yeast Culture next time ( although have never re-hydrated yeast )

Cheers RD44🍻🍻

F2EBFF6E-D626-4106-957B-A031687F409B.jpeg

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Let me start by saying I had to substitute Lemondrop with Cascade as couldn’t get any of the former, and used Morgan’s Pale Ale Yeast,  other than that I followed the recipe as per normal.

Close then? ahahahhahahhhhhhhaaaa

• Haha 1

Well I bought a 4 pack of this bad boy today ( public holiday in SEQLD )

Very very nice, good mouthfeel and fruity texture. 
Would like to have a crack at this, 6.2 ABV. 
Not much of a beer critic, good or bad (commercial mega swill excluded ) but this is a bloody nice beer on a sunny Qld afternoon.

Never heard of the hops Ahtanum & Strata ? Has anyone used these ?
Congrats Coopers, this is a cracker 🍺🍺

Cheers RD44 🍺🍺

F11685A8-30AC-4978-8A70-11A112CA292A.jpeg

339B36BF-876A-4F06-866C-A18F878F955B.jpeg

• Like 5

@Red devil 44

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Just trying my ( version ) Coopers XPA from the keg vs Coopers XPA Can...

Different look, mine is darker.

First impressions on taste, mine tastes maltier than the Commercial one, hmmm 🤔 

A few of the boys over in the XPA thread had the same problem with colour etc. To get the same colour & malt flavour as the commercial version you need to be very selective about the crystal malt you use, & attempt to match the commercial listed EBC.

Select a Crystal Malt with a listed EBC no higher than 50 EBC, & this will fix your colour & malt flavour difference. 😉

Of course use the commercial ale strain to ferment along with the Lemondrop & Robert is your mum's brother!

As you can see from the photo I posted of my brewing of the DIY recipe vs the commercial version, spot on. 🙂

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...Never heard of the hops Ahtanum & Strata ? Has anyone used these ?

Cheers RD44 🍺🍺

Ahtanum yes, Strata no, as it's a very new hop variety & haven't got around to trying it yet. Bold claims on it though.

I look at Ahtanum like it is Amarillo's kid brother. A little less intense in the same flavour areas, but slightly more floral & aromatic (IMHO). I use it in a couple of beer recipes I make intermittently from time to time, & really like it.

I get my pre-order of the Hazy IPA at my store this coming Monday & am really looking forward to trying it. As you say, it suits the climate up there in QLD & I hope Coopers continue to support/develop this type of beer up there even if in a slightly more subdued version to make it more approachable for the average punter.

It's more "the beer for up here" than the crap beer currently using that slogan.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Ahtanum yes, Strata no, as it's a very new hop variety & haven't got around to trying it yet. Bold claims on it though.

I look at Ahtanum like it is Amarillo's kid brother. A little less intense in the same flavour areas, but slightly more floral & aromatic (IMHO). I use it in a couple of beer recipes I make intermittently from time to time, & really like it.

I get my pre-order of the Hazy IPA at my store this coming Monday & am really looking forward to trying it. As you say, it suits the climate up there in QLD & I hope Coopers continue to support/develop this type of beer up there even if in a slightly more subdued version to make it more approachable for the average punter.

It's more "the beer for up here" than the crap beer currently using that slogan.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Totally agree with your 20 cents Lusty.

I went to Mt Isa for work recently and all they drink is ‘ the beer for up here “, the place I was staying at actually had eumundi lager on tap, wasn’t too bad. Not a Nth Qld beer though. My nephew who is getting married next year has tasked me with supplying a clone of GT Northern for his wedding, ughh wtf 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

Well I bought a 4 pack of this bad boy today ( public holiday in SEQLD )

Very very nice, good mouthfeel and fruity texture. 
Would like to have a crack at this, 6.2 ABV. 
Not much of a beer critic, good or bad (commercial mega swill excluded ) but this is a bloody nice beer on a sunny Qld afternoon.

Never heard of the hops Ahtanum & Strata ? Has anyone used these ?

Cheers RD44 🍺🍺

F11685A8-30AC-4978-8A70-11A112CA292A.jpeg

I am impressed with coopers for coming out with this brew. I cannot wait to try it.

I said, several months ago, I didn't think Coopers would ever make beers like a hazy, the XPA and the fruit of the woods (thanks Woodsy) but they have and it is pretty awesome from the standpoint that good beer should be easier to get in some places due to Coopers reach and shelf space.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I am impressed with coopers for coming out with this brew. I cannot wait to try it.

I said, several months ago, I didn't think Coopers would ever make beers like a hazy, the XPA and the fruit of the woods (thanks Woodsy) but they have and it is pretty awesome from the standpoint that good beer should be easier to get in some places due to Coopers reach and shelf space.

Surprisingly I went to my local Dan’s last week & could not find Woodsy,s beer, i asked them and it was like looking at a deer in the headlights ??

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

Surprisingly I went to my local Dan’s last week & could not find Woodsy,s beer, i asked them and it was like looking at a deer in the headlights ??

Probably all gone. I went to a bottle-o and asked for some of their craft beer line up, deer in head lights. Then I spotted the purple coopers XPA pack on the ground next to the cooler, the only one in the store and they just gave it to me. Like I had won it for finding it and because it seemed like they knew if I didn't take it no one would. I thought it was old or damaged cans, but it tasted fine to me...free always tastes good.

They handed me a sparkling ale when I asked for a Balter so I got out the car and started looking...that probably made everyone in their cars behind me happy. Hmmm I might try that trick again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

Probably all gone. I went to a bottle-o and asked for some of their craft beer line up, deer in head lights. Then I spotted the purple coopers XPA pack on the ground next to the cooler, the only one in the store and they just gave it to me. Like I had won it for finding it and because it seemed like they knew if I didn't take it no one would. I thought it was old or damaged cans, but it tasted fine to me...free always tastes good.

They handed me a sparkling ale when I asked for a Balter so I got out the car and started looking...that probably made everyone in their cars behind me happy. Hmmm I might try that trick again.

Love your work mate 😜😜

• Haha 2