Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

Got another 'session IPA' in my FV at the moment. Just using up all my stock so no real plan to go with this recipe. Made a few rookie errors again... Failed to chill my water sufficiently, then over shot the 21 litres I wanted and finally forgot to take my O.G. anyway I suspect I'll get beer!! hopefully....

Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA 1.7kg

Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.0kg

Dextrose 200g

Made to 23 litres

180mls slurry from previous IPA batch (ipa kit yeast)

Dry hop on day 4 or so 

10g each cascade and galaxy

30g mosaic 

Krausen started after 8 hrs and  reached 2cm now about 48hrs post pitch. 

Cheers, Lee

• Like 4

Nothing has been in my fermenters since October but I have a plan, bwahahaha.

I did something similar last year and it worked out OK.

Avoid brewing in summer and brew enough in the cool months to last summer (reverse squirrel?).

93ipwAo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I asked my wife to do this tonight and she had no idea what it was......... 

Am I missing something??

That’s where she doesn’t hide the nuts for the winter???? Not sure that’s something you want?

Edited by The Captain1525230099
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

Avoid brewing in summer and brew enough in the cool months to last summer (reverse squirrel?).

93ipwAo.jpg

Always have a plan and on the brew day a check sheet.

I have the Smokey Baltic Porter on the go. Not worried about the brew, just the technology. Have my Plaato airlock on this and the fermentation activity drops so much at various points. Im putting this down to the temperature change in the fv. My thinking is when the temperature drops, it has a suck back effect. Not enough to suck the liquid from the airlock but enough to slow and even stop the flow of bubbles.i have spent all morning trying to rectify but if this is the norm then a Plaato is not a great option.

Did not notice this last brew in SS fermenter. Now using plastic.

7 hours ago, Titan said:

Im putting this down to the temperature change in the fv. My thinking is when the temperature drops, it has a suck back effect.

@Titan - I assume you've got temp control given all your gizmos etc. I also know you're from NSuburbs Melbs. How are you getting temp drops ATM?

Very interested in your Plaato and Tilt posts - as someone who is too ghetto for such things.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, Marvin said:

93ipwAo.jpg

Marvin, you are a genius. I'd never thought to get a second FV and do 2 batches at once. Seriously.
Got any marriage counselling advice for me once I whack 2 FVs in the kitchen though? 😄

12 hours ago, elLachlano said:

@Titan - I assume you've got temp control given all your gizmos etc. I also know you're from NSuburbs Melbs. How are you getting temp drops ATM?

Very interested in your Plaato and Tilt posts - as someone who is too ghetto for such things.

Yes in a temperature contolled freezer. Temperature swing is not much maybe +/- 1 from set point. Still under investigation. I have 3 temperature readings. Inkbird on side of vessel, Platto, which measures temperature of the airlock liquid and the Tilt hydrometer measuring directly in the wort. Will add a data logger to the mix later today and adjust the tilt to report more frequently. This is what the plaato is seeing over the last hour.

Screenshot_20190131-100744_PLAATO.jpg

13 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Marvin, you are a genius. I'd never thought to get a second FV and do 2 batches at once. Seriously.
Got any marriage counselling advice for me once I whack 2 FVs in the kitchen though? 😄

Is the laundry a possibility?

If you use two fermenters it gets the brewing done in half the time, there will be no fermenter and lovely aroma in the kitchen at all for half the year.

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

Is the laundry a possibility?

If you use two fermenters it gets the brewing done in half the time, there will be no fermenter and lovely aroma in the kitchen at all for half the year.

Our laundry is far too small and temperature control is an issue there also. However, our son is moving out soon so all the crap he leaves lying around the kitchen will make a lot of space available.
If I tell the missus if I have two FVs going at once it'll mean it only clutters up the kitchen for half the time, it might just work.

Just did my first Lager! 

250g caramalt steeped 70c - 20 mins

1.7kg Coopers LME

15g Pride of Ringwood boil- 45 mins 

15g flameout Pride of Ringwood - 15 mins

OG - 1.041 (10 litres, mini fermenter) 

pitched Saflager yeast (rehrydrated) at 18c, going into the outdoor fridge which is set for 10c (max it can do). Gonna give it a week in there then get it to Ale temperatures in my laundry sink for a few days rest. 

Im really hoping it works out but the batch isn’t large enough to be a complete failure 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, beerdeluxe said:

Just did my first Lager! 

250g caramalt steeped 70c - 20 mins

1.7kg Coopers LME

15g Pride of Ringwood boil- 45 mins 

15g flameout Pride of Ringwood - 15 mins

OG - 1.041 (10 litres, mini fermenter) 

pitched Saflager yeast (rehrydrated) at 18c, going into the outdoor fridge which is set for 10c (max it can do). Gonna give it a week in there then get it to Ale temperatures in my laundry sink for a few days rest. 

Im really hoping it works out but the batch isn’t large enough to be a complete failure 

Should work fine mate. Do a similar type beer for family parties as i have two drinkers who love POR beers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Our laundry is far too small and temperature control is an issue there also. However, our son is moving out soon so all the crap he leaves lying around the kitchen will make a lot of space available.
If I tell the missus if I have two FVs going at once it'll mean it only clutters up the kitchen for half the time, it might just work.

Every kitchen needs more bench space.

You build your wife a two fermenter long bench on wheels.

Nobody wins unless everybody wins.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

More like .....what’s yer fermenter in?

long story, enroute to my ferment fridge.

58863281-B3ED-4390-82B2-1681112A6B60.jpeg

Reminds me of a story from NT a few years back:
A bloke gets pulled over by police for having his kids in the back seat unrestrained but he did buckle up his slab of beer in the front seat. 😄

Edited by MUZZY
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-08/driver-charged-over-buckled-beer-near-broome/7309306
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I pitched yeast into my Oaked Imperial Black Saison a little earlier tonight. It is sitting in my Cool Brewing Bag at 26C with a couple of ice bricks to bring the temp down overnight. This recipe comes to 1.080 OG and 48 IBU when made up to 11 litres in the fermenter. I have some Samuel Willard's French Oak blocks that I'll be soaking in vodka to kill the bugs, then adding into the fermenter in my stainless hop tube in about a week's time.

1.5kg Coopers Dark LME
1.16kg Coopers LDM
50g EKG (4.6% AA) at 30 minutes
Wyeast 3726 slurry

Cheers,

John

• Like 5