Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

My stout has gone from 1.085 to its predicted FG of 1.019 in 5 days. I’ll leave it for another week because I want to add cocao nibs and a couple of vanilla bean to the fermenter. 

Oh and I realised I forgot the Brew Bright on brew day YET AGAIN!!!!! 

Beer Baron!!

• Like 4

On 1/31/2019 at 10:50 PM, beerdeluxe said:

Just did my first Lager! 

Mate all the best... it really is a walking journey - just one step at a time - and sometimes if things are not quite what you hoped for - just keep going forward because before you know it... with the amazing input from this massive knowledge base like this site... and your own experience... before you know it... you have nailed exactly what you were chasing... and so much better than the expensive megaswill floating around us.😋

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, Silmaril said:

I did attempt #2 at a Ginger Beer today. Attempt #1 was a Brigalow kit, and as you can expect, the results were a bit 'meh'.

Today I followed, roughly, a recipe from AHB. 500gms of ginger grated (thanks to the mothership for the hand-me-down food processor) and boiled for 30 mins in 5 litres of water. I wanted to have a bet each way, so also used my juicer to extract 100mls of fresh ginger juice. +1kg of dextrose. +1kg of brown sugar. +1 bottle of Buderim ginger cordial. +1 Morgans ginger beer kit. +4 birds eye chilies, sliced. 

OG came out at 1.046 which I thought was a tad low given the sugar added. I used the kit yeast plus a sachet of US-05 and the included yeast nutrient. 

I have high hopes for this one! I'm pretty confident it will be better than the first attempt with a non-adjusted Brigalow kit! 😄 

Damn thing blew up in the fridge! Liquid down the sides and a bulge in the fermenter. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate all the best... it really is a walking journey - just one step at a time - and sometimes if things are not quite what you hoped for - just keep going forward because before you know it... with the amazing input from this massive knowledge base like this site... and your own experience... before you know it... you have nailed exactly what you were chasing... and so much better than the expensive megaswill floating around us.😋

Thanks mate! So far it’s going great, fermentation is in full swing 48 hrs in and I’m optimistic 

• Like 1

@Silmaril

I am definitely interested in this. As I have said I brewed a fwk religiously that was great but have not found a suitable and sensible recipe that can replace it. Everyone around here loves the ginger beer and are pretty upset that I haven't been able to replace it. I just dont have time to experiment with this. The last time I tried 2 kits and they were poor but it could have been my techniques, very early brewing days.

Cheers

Norris

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

@Silmaril

I am definitely interested in this. As I have said I brewed a fwk religiously that was great but have not found a suitable and sensible recipe that can replace it. Everyone around here loves the ginger beer and are pretty upset that I haven't been able to replace it. I just dont have time to experiment with this. The last time I tried 2 kits and they were poor but it could have been my techniques, very early brewing days.

Cheers

Norris

I'll keep you posted! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 11:17 PM, Beerlust said:

Holy crap John! What a freaky beer.

Please post a pic & descriptors of this once done.

Good luck with it mate,

Lusty.

Will do Lusty. Could be a while as I'm intending it to be a different style of winter warmer to the usual Imperial Stouts etc.

Only problem is it will most likely have to go into half litre bottles, so that should be good drinking. That worked well for my 9% Doppelbock so might be OK. Makes the priming tricky, so I might have to try the bulk prime in primary trick for the first time.

Speaking of big beers, I need to see how my English IPA crammed full of EKG is going. That would have been in the bottle for a couple of months now. Might be time to pop the Tap-a-draft bottle into the fridge!

Good luck with the Enterprise Lager you just put down BTW. Sounds like it could be very tasty. 

Cheers, 

John 

11 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

About to drop these into the fermenter!!

C94275C3-B5E5-4FDB-9D65-1E693CDA4EEF.jpeg

Interested to get your feedback on dumping the cacao nibs into the FV BB, i've done some reading the past couple of days and
What i've taken from it is to have maximum flavour from the cacao it should be used in the boil at 10mins or so. also, have you 
Soaked the vanilla beans in vodka at all? i was told to do it to ensure there is no bugs etc on them before throwing them in the fv.

Cheers,
Hoppy

43 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Interested to get your feedback on dumping the cacao nibs into the FV BB, i've done some reading the past couple of days and
What i've taken from it is to have maximum flavour from the cacao it should be used in the boil at 10mins or so. also, have you 
Soaked the vanilla beans in vodka at all? i was told to do it to ensure there is no bugs etc on them before throwing them in the fv.

Cheers,
Hoppy

I haven’t added them to the boil before so it is hard to compare the taste and as for the vanilla all I read about is adding the beans to vodka but I am adding them to my beer which is alcohol and I’m lazy so both getting dumped straight in

• Haha 1

I’ve got an All grain Pale Ale - tastes remarkably like the Coopers Commercial version! I also have a lower ABV Pale Ale made from extract and malt with some Galaxy and Simcoe. Finally I’ve just finished a small batch Pale Ale fermented under pressure. Been away from this forum for awhile - glad to be back!

• Like 2

Dropped my Centennial English ale down for its cold crash yesterday after I took an FG sample. It finished at practically 1.012 (1.0119) so I'm calling that done with an ABV about 4.4-4.5%. Currently on about 3-4 degrees as it's quite warm out there during the day. Don't know if it will make it to zero but isinglass is going in tomorrow then polyclar on Thursday or Friday and will go into a keg next Tuesday and be ready for the weekend, although I'll most likely have a taster on the Wednesday night as it will be pretty much carbonated by then.

Cheers

Kelsey

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

My Coopers DIY Enterprise Lager has been bopping along for a few days now.

All appears to be going well. How do I know this? Because it reeks like egg farts in my brew fridge atm! Damn stinky lagers! 🤣

I think I'll leave the door shut for a few days now before opening again. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The krausen on my big black saison has dropped significantly so I took a gravity reading and added the oak and vodka soaking liquid into the fermenter in my stainless hop tube. SG was 1.016 at this point, but it should drop a bit lower than that. 1.080 OG of all extract will not be super fermentable I guess. Tastes nice and dry though, even at this gravity and 8.4% abv. See what the oak does to it... The oak and soaking vodka smelt beautiful before I added it. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Left the internet antenna thingy for that computer at the old house, only picked it up this morning 😂 I'll get to it soon enough

Did you post that recipe Kelsey or have I not been paying attention - quite possible with everything that's been going on...