Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

+1. Love this yeast and 20C is a great temp for it. Dont listen to the naysayers who deride it. Its a great yeast.

I used to be one of those naysayers! Haha!....until I learned better.

There's an old saying..."Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

I have a modern twist on that...

Hell hath no fury like a home brewer whose yeast fails! 🤣

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 11:48 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Lusty, I'll post the recipe I made on Saturday tomorrow if I remember. The grist contains 200g medium crystal, 50g Caraaroma for a hint of what it brings, and 30g chocolate malt for a more reddish colour. I've used a similar grist a few times before and you don't get any flavour from the darker roasted grains in those sorts of amounts, but you do get the colour without having to use shitloads of lighter crystal type malts such as carared. I could also use roasted barley or black patent, and probably have previously. 

Once it's on tap I'll post the usual picture so you can check out the colour. Looks pretty good in the hydro sample though. 

OVB.... if you remember 😝 can you post that recipe - would be great to see it ; )

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Left the internet antenna thingy for that computer at the old house, only picked it up this morning 😂 I'll get to it soon enough

Thanks mate all good.

Moving house is a huge pain in the @#$% despite the benefits...

Got rooms full of boxes meself at the minute : |

Had to use me dolly trolley to shift all the boxes out of the larder to get at me FV to do the bottling on Thursday night just gone 😜

• Like 1

My mead started to drop clear during the week so i thought i would take a reading. Its been in the demijohn for 4 weeks now and its down to 1.038 from 1.145. I had a little taste and its quite sweet but very nice. You can certainly taste the alcohol!

Im pretty sure its done only because i used bread yeast and don't reckon it could handle much more alcohol than 14%. Should i cold crash it for a bit so the yeast cake compacts a little before i bottle it up?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

My mead started to drop clear during the week so i thought i would take a reading. Its been in the demijohn for 4 weeks now and its down to 1.038 from 1.145. I had a little taste and its quite sweet but very nice. You can certainly taste the alcohol!

Im pretty sure its done only because i used bread yeast and don't reckon it could handle much more alcohol than 14%. Should i cold crash it for a bit so the yeast cake compacts a little before i bottle it up?

You going for a carbonated mead or still?

id probably CC anyway to be honest.

14 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Yeah ill let ya know in a year or two! Haha. But honestly i reckon it'll be good to drink in a couple of months. Its so lovely and sweet and full of flavour

Well going on Ben’s first one I think his was gone in a couple of months ha ha. 

I so need to do this.

15 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Hey Cap, goin for a still mead for my first one, then if i decide to make more in the future i may try a sparkling one

Hey there RB - can you point me towards the festive mead recipe - for the future - got a mad honey mate and he has talked about mead before... and he has a stash of old Coopers bottles I am negotiating with him to borrow for a while to put to good use - if I do a mead maybe I close the deal 😜

And I actually love the idea of a sparkling mead!?!

ABV will depend on the FG. I made a stout last year that started at 1.0855, and finished at 1.020 for about 8.6% ABV. Would have been around 9% if I'd bottled it. Bloody tamest stout fermentation in the history of everything, it only produced an inch or so of krausen the whole time.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1