Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

I said I wasn't going to brew again till after summer and after I have a good supply of glass bottles.. but a trip to beer belly has changed that as well as the weather being more mild. I started with the craft kit before upgrading to the 30ltr but have decided my next beer will be a craft. I'll call this one the left-over IPA as I am using hops I already have in the freezer.

Planned ingrediants (8.5ltr total)

1x Mr Beer Diablo IPA

500gr Light dry male extract

70grm Enigma

70grm Galaxy 

Plan is to use 35gr of each of the hops in a 10 minute boil and then dry hop the remainder.

I was going to use 1kg of dry malt but that brings the anv up to 9% which is a little high as my aim is 6-6.5%. Here's hoping it works out =D 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tja1980 said:

Maybe another thread with what yeast looks like fermenting 😄 "Whats it look like in ya fermenter" 😛

Tristan

It'd be a very repetitive thread. "Cloudy" would be the response in every post.

My Coopers DIY Enterprise Lager has been fermenting for almost a week now. I shut down the temp controller earlier today before work to allow the brew to rise as part of the diacetyl rest process for lager fermenting. I turned the controller on when I got home to get a temp reading & it is still fermenting as it has risen to approx. 17.5°C from the 13.5°C mark it has been at for the last 6-7 days. As I'm kegging the beer & force carbonating this has to be done prior to kegging the beer as I will crash chill it for approx. a week after FG is reached.

I'll take a SG reading tomorrow & likely add the dry hop addition as well.

I'm looking forward to this beer once it's in the glass, more for what I'll learn from it than anything else.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

It'd be a very repetitive thread. "Cloudy" would be the response in every post.

Yeah, unless you opened it or had a clear fermenter 😄 was more of if your using this yeast this is normal 😄 was what I was aiming for, cheers though.

Tristan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Lusty have you thought about doing a slow ramp down to lagering temps rather than a crash chill? I found my lagers improved from doing this.

I hadn't mate. I have skimmed over a few of your posts about this, & take your word for its merits. It's more a time thing with me. I have two empty kegs atm (not happy) so just want to get something on the pour again. Probably not the right timing for doing a lager, but I've been pretty time starved for brewing lately due to the new job & longer hours.

There's just something very nice malt-wise that lager strains do better than any ale strains I've used. It's why I keep brewing lagers every once in a while.

Out of curiosity, over how many days & how many steps & rest intervals do you do your staggering down process?

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Out of curiosity, over how many days & how many steps & rest intervals do you do your staggering down process?

great question ... I have just sat down from turning my temp from 18 to 4 to start the crash ... think I will go and re set it at 10 to start ... 

Hey Lusty, fair point on the timing. It does annoy me a little only having one fermenter currently but once I have two it'll be easier. 

My ramp down goes like this, keeping in mind that I lager them warmer than my usual cold crash to keep the yeast active.

Start from 18, drop to 12;

24 hours later drop to 9.7, 24 hours later drop to 7.5, 24 hours later drop to 5.2, 24 hours later drop to 3 then leave for 1.5 weeks or so before kegging and continuing the lagering in the kegerator. All up the process doesn't take any longer than my old crash to zero and leave for two weeks (maybe an extra day) but it does produce a cleaner lager. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

I just mixed together a MJ raspberry and lime cider to 22l with just a kg of dextrose, 1/4 packet of sweetener and the M02 MJ Cider yeast. I never made this MJ cider so I kept it as is to try it on it's own merits. I wanted to add some lime zest but as I said wanted to try it as is for next time.  I will bottle this so I can share it out, my last cider was on tap for like 4 1/2 months, it was good but I dont drink ciders like I used to.

I recently started a new job with a lot of travel and extra hours, it is invigorating but makes me even more time poor, so I have been doing a ton of quick keg fillers for the new year.  I had my wife dry hop the all in brewery's mercenary pale ale fwk with 50g of simcoe and Amarillo each,  I forgot to tell her to put 50g in 1 chux cloth only, I came home to a sausage roll of hops😁. I squeezed the hell out of it but could feel whole pellets, ah well my bad for the awful instructions. I had a quick taste after only a day at 40psi, yes way early, but I was going to turn it down to serving pressure and said why not, it was bland compared to the other keg of Stepping to the AM ale with azacca and mosaic hops...I should of pimped the fwk but I wanted to try it on it's own merits. I will see how it tastes on Wednesday or Thursday and then maybe do a small keg hop to liven it up. 

I hope my next brew will be either a saison or a porter just haven't decided yet.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 2

I love having days off when the current brew is just starting to kick off fermentation.

I've been watching my pilsner throughout the day each time I walk by the shed. At 8 am (34hrs post pitch) there was a real light blanket of krausen. Then at 38hrs krausen was 1 - 2mm thick and upon checking it now (44hrs) there is a 3 inch tower of fluffy white krausen emerging. 

I was a bit worried with this one as I thought I may have had my water for rehydrating my yeast a bit too warm, did it by touch without a thermometer.

Fingers crossed it ferments out fully, I also plan to harvest some slurry for the pilsner I'm doing next brew. 

Cheers, Lee

Edited by #granted+brew
  • Like 3