Coopers Community

What's in your fermenter? 2019

I dry hopped the Panhead clone tonight with 50g Citra and 20g Simcoe. Will leave it for a few days and hope to bottle it Friday night. The SG is sitting on 1.016 from 1.054. Im hoping it drops a few more points so i bumped the temp up to 21 on the controller, but if not i'll still be happy with that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Bloody stout everywhere by now!!!!

Not quite Captain.  RIS had started to drop by this morning.

7am 22/01/2018

792255835_RIS7am22-01.thumb.JPG.1a3a18dd1c5e81c634db7525cb39c7c7.JPG

Has dropped quite a bit by tonight.

7pm 22/01/2018.  SG 1.041 from 1.092 since Sunday arvo

1728224087_RIS7pm22-01.thumb.JPG.c648d61cfd035047922a1a6e463be96f.JPG

12 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

10 hours after pitching

Oh My Gawd, Ben

• Like 2

I checked my amber saison in the fermenter tonight. After 7 days it's at 1.007 SG and pretty much dropped bright. Was at 26C, so it got reasonably warm. If the gravity is the same on Thursday night I'll bottle it up. Pretty sure it will be, looks done to me. 

I might cycle up to the LHBS from work at lunch time on Friday to get some oak chips. Think I'll make the next one an oaked Imperial Black Saison. Leaning towards EKG for the hops in that.

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 5

On 1/22/2019 at 10:40 PM, porschemad911 said:

I checked my amber saison in the fermenter tonight. After 7 days it's at 1.007 SG and pretty much dropped bright. Was at 26C, so it got reasonably warm. If the gravity is the same on Thursday night I'll bottle it up. Pretty sure it will be, looks done to me. 

I might cycle up to the LHBS from work at lunch time on Friday to get some oak chips. Think I'll make the next one an oaked Imperial Black Saison. Leaning towards EKG for the hops in that.

Cheers, 

John 

Amber and black saison! Very cool John. I just finished bottling my Citra saison tonight. Given its the perfect time of year to ferment at ambient, I will brew another saison. Maybe that Nelson saison that I did last year. Your takes on a saison sound very cool indeed. Pushing the boundaries as usual!

Well done

• Like 4

Just threw my Centennial ESB into the fermenter which is now in the fridge coming down to the 20 degrees I decided to ferment this one at. Missed target volume by a litre getting 24 litres, but I expected that with the volume in the cube after brew day. Pitched the 1469 which is on its first generation as I replaced the old culture over the holidays. It will be kegged in about 2.5 weeks, then quick carbonated over a day or so. 

There aren't really any late hops in this, just a 20g addition at 10 minutes for a little flavour, and I'm undecided on whether I'll dry hop it or not as it wasn't intended to be overly hoppy. I won't be doing any keg hops for it either. Looking forward to it though, should go nicely in the current weather.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 9:06 AM, NewBrews said:

Would that be somewhat like a cask aged porter but funky?

Something like that yes ... I think? Drier as well as funkier. I rode up to the LHBS at lunch time today and grabbed some French oak staves, so all set. Well almost, need to grab some Aldi vodka to soak them in to kill the bugs.

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 3

Bottled the Panhead tonight. I dry hopped it commando style and i couldn't be bothered filtering it into another FV to bottle from, so i just bottled it straight from the FV. With no cold crash i got alot of hop matter into the last few bottles and ended up tipping the last few litres down the drain. Oh well, lesson learnt. Next time i will go back to bagging up my dry hops, or stop being a lazy sod and filter them out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bottled my 2nd attempt at a Rad Abbot yesterday.

The first one has just come good - and I'm glad cos I wasn't digging it when I put the second one down and had my doubts.

This one fermented while I was on holidays so got left alone for a while. Found that the FV was stuck with sticky residue ring on the plywood shelf in my ferment fridge.
At first, I suspected a tap leak but no volume was lost :S go figure. Taste was great, even with the extra 5g coriander (seriously, what am I gonna do with 5g left over coriander seeds?!).

Bottles should be ready just as I emerge from the impeding FebFast month without alcohol.
Good to try this every now and then and will help with stock (also health) levels.

Put down a quick and simple Hop Slam this morning, mostly just to get stocks up (I'm not running low - just have a lot of empty bottles) and I've done this a few times as an easy road to more beer. Will double the dry hop and it was only just a kit and kilo method - just to give it a bit more edge.

NOT looking forward to brewing in the next month whilst not drinking - an exercise in restraint.

danny masterson GIF by IFC

Just put down this partial mash English Bitter recipe of my own design:

1.7kg Coopers APA
1.3kg Briess Golden LME
350gm Bairds Maris Otter malt 9.4%
225gm Crystal Wheat 6.1%
75gm C120L 2%
65gm TF Pale Chocolate 1.7%
7gm Cascades boiled x 15 minutes
30gm Willamette boiled x 15 minutes
S-33 Gen 2 slurry from pervious batch
3gm Cascades DH
15gm Willamette DH

I usually use Vienna as the base malt in my partial mashes, but am using Maris Otter for this. It is my first time using Maris Otter.  I am kind of expecting not to be able to notice the difference as the percentage is only 9.4%, but maybe I will. 

Cheers,

Christina.
  • Like 4

On 1/24/2019 at 9:39 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just threw my Centennial ESB into the fermenter which is now in the fridge coming down to the 20 degrees I decided to ferment this one at. 

There aren't really any late hops in this, just a 20g addition at 10 minutes for a little flavour, and I'm undecided on whether I'll dry hop it or not as it wasn't intended to be overly hoppy. I won't be doing any keg hops for it either.

Centennial in a ESB? Sounds interesting. I might have to try that, or a combo of Centennial and Willamette as I am not sure I can bring myself to make an ESB without putting some Willamette in it. 😁

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I ran out of all the English hops I had so I figured I'd do something a little different this batch. I have to do the 3 days SG test today too. Might have a taste too!

Let us know how you like it. If you do, I might adapt it to a partial mash recipe.

English Bitter is one of my favourite styles, although I seldom make one, which is mostly out of frustration with my attempts. I might need to spring for a liquid yeast, once I get the grist figured out.

Cheers,

Christina

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

3 grams?   🤔

Yeah, small amount I know. Probably undetectable. 😄 I wanted to use the same ratio as during the boil, but also wanted to keep the overall amount low.  I read that English Bitters should have not more than about 1/4-1/2 oz / 5 US gallon DH, if at all.

Cheers,

Christina.

13 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Yeah, small amount I know. Probably undetectable. 😄 I wanted to use the same ratio as during the boil, but also wanted to keep the overall amount low.  I read that English Bitters should have not more than about 1/4-1/2 oz / 5 US gallon DH, if at all.

Cheers,

Christina.

50g fuggles DH went into one of my recent bitters.   There used to be a locally brewed English beer on tap here actually called "Fuggles" - a strong bitter heavily dosed with fuggles hops which was a favourite of mine at the time.  Sadly it's no longer brewed.   Even with 50g (and late additions) my bitters have not come anywhere close to the level of hoppiness I remember being a feature of this particular brew.   I reckon they must have been using the equivalent of 100g late and/or DH.     😮   Probably not strictly to style...   but I'm not overly concerned about that! 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of missing gravity if it's under by heaps but if it's over then I call it a good day. 

Anyway, just tested the English ale and it's sitting about 1.018 after 3 days in the fermenter so I've just bumped up the temp from 20 to 23 on the controller to finish off, although it probably doesn't really need it. Taste test was a tad sweet as I expected but it's looking like it will turn out a nice brew once it's ready.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Creme’y Stout is in the fermenter!! 

It’s just cooling a bit before pitching S-04. Target OG was 1.073 and I ended up 1.085ish. I’m not a fan of missing gravity by so much. I strive to get a consistent 75%

A0139440-3440-4903-9973-FA7F0CDF10F4.jpeg

That’s a massive beer BB. You could bottle that and enjoy for YEARS to come.

• Like 3

I did attempt #2 at a Ginger Beer today. Attempt #1 was a Brigalow kit, and as you can expect, the results were a bit 'meh'.

Today I followed, roughly, a recipe from AHB. 500gms of ginger grated (thanks to the mothership for the hand-me-down food processor) and boiled for 30 mins in 5 litres of water. I wanted to have a bet each way, so also used my juicer to extract 100mls of fresh ginger juice. +1kg of dextrose. +1kg of brown sugar. +1 bottle of Buderim ginger cordial. +1 Morgans ginger beer kit. +4 birds eye chilies, sliced. 

OG came out at 1.046 which I thought was a tad low given the sugar added. I used the kit yeast plus a sachet of US-05 and the included yeast nutrient. 

I have high hopes for this one! I'm pretty confident it will be better than the first attempt with a non-adjusted Brigalow kit! 😄 

• Like 3