Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

ben 10

• 1 month later...

EPIC FAIL - lost approx. half of the 25L of the most beautiful AG Red Ale Wort in FV immediately prior to pitching due to brewing late in the day after work and delivering a completely sober spectacular handling error  😭 EPIC FAIL resulted in a midnight finish to the clean-up... but at least three separate rooms all got a good mop 😜   

I was so angry I did a follow-up half-brew mash the next day (had to get back on the horse that had just bucked me off) and now have 'Disaster Recovery Ale' which is drinking nicely... [aiming to post photo later today on WAYD thread]…..  Phhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaar out there was sticky sugary wort EVERYWHERE...  at least it did smell nice 👺

image.thumb.png.66ee47a313fd558defcf5b19db04ea20.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

52 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Tap left open? 

Naaargh nothing as clever as that.... for like 12 Litres... Just unfortunate tired operator and bad handling late in the evening after a lengthy and successful mash and boil... involved use of a trolley to take the weight off... what do they call it in safety speak in industry - Slips Trips Falls.... or just maybe BHTOE --> Brew Handling and Transport Operator Error? 😝 Transferring the brew somehow managed to knock the beautiful 25kg brew sideways and topple it over - I guess I should be happy that I managed to get plazzi back on his feet and save half the brew - that is the good side.  I think the message is - start when you have plenty of energy and focus and not after work when you are completely bugggggered.  I was keen to get it done so I could take the spent grains into my mate for his Neddies the next day and was in a bit of a hurry to get everything done... Lesson learned.  And at least the final result is actually more positive.  Maybe I could use this as a label... Disaster Recover Ale... The Phoenix brew... 👽

image.png.e9ae793456d3470e0a184a9991bcb94f.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I had a mini fail today during a brew day. Was hoisting the hop spider after the flameout addition had steeped for 10 minutes, and the bloody plastic broke and it dropped straight back into the wort. Didn't really lose any but I then hoisted it by one of the stainless steel legs which was fine. Cube filled, it'll go into the fermenter the week after next. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Made a wee bit of a goof on my latest batch - a 50/50 partial mash.  Got my 12 litres of wort all mashed, boiled and ready to go. Poured into the fermenter and topped up to 23 litres.  Yeast pitched. Lid sealed.   It was only then that I noticed the other 50% of ingredients - a Coopers can still softening in a pot of hot water on the stove... 

🤨

• Haha 9

I learned a good lesson with this:  I had a fail with the 2001 Urquell Yeast that I have been longing to make a Pils with ... I take full responsibility for it, The OG was toward the high end at 1056ish and I was a bit impatient and pitched the yeast a bit early then dropped it to ferment temp too early and it took 4 days to start ferment and 3 weeks to get to FV ... so the under pitch has created a Pils that is way to strong in aldehyde and was bloody terrible however as with all things aldehyde the lagering process has dramatically reduced their impact, they are still there but with a dash of lemonade it is nearly passable ...  hopefully as it lagers further I may save this baby it will not taste anything like what i wanted but hopefully I don't have to throw it out ... so it will sit in the keg fridge for a while yet and I will have a bottle of lemonade handy . I have always loved a shandy as a hair of the dog or on a hot day anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

My fail today was expensive but not terrible in the end. I went out bought new lines and connections. Even parts for a gas line splitter. Got two hand dispensers and all the little bits that go in between. Even a second temp controller so I wasn't stealing from my fv. So I'm home ready to get the version one keezer started. Turns out. The damn floor is indented. So limity floor space. Can JUST fit in a keg and the gas bottle. 

One benefit is I have a drawer at the top for cans etc

C349DE0F-E247-4682-9C8D-06C9CD8522F0.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My recent addition to the fail thread has been one-upped unfortunately.

I put 30psi on the keg to carb up, but FORGOT to take off the beer line. 

Either the pressure or the gun nozzle was up against something and ALL 19l came out into the keezer. and drained the bottle of the rest of the gas!

Very expensive and messy mistake.

Now i gotta go the LHBS and do a swap and go of the bottle....

• Sad 4

45 minutes ago, drewbert said:

My recent addition to the fail thread has been one-upped unfortunately.

I put 30psi on the keg to carb up, but FORGOT to take off the beer line. 

Either the pressure or the gun nozzle was up against something and ALL 19l came out into the keezer. and drained the bottle of the rest of the gas!

Very expensive and messy mistake.

Now i gotta go the LHBS and do a swap and go of the bottle....

That is stuff of nightmares 😮

• 5 weeks later...

Not that exciting an epic fail... just the old classic... fill the beautiful hard won AG Wort into the FV and leave the blaaaaaardy tap open... saw it pretty quick and prolly only lost a cup... but not what you want when you are trying to get outta the house and off to work early in the morning!  Had I left it and raced off to work there would have been a million ants inside the house and outside the screen door the roos lining up to lick the concrete😜

image.png.4ccea46517ffec7ed24acb2b4114ce5a.png

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

R.I.P. Temp Controller

Wrong diagnosis, it was the freezer!! Aaaaaaaaarrrrggh!! 🤬 😠 🤬

I finally got hold of a new temp controller so I hook it up, & the same BS. Gets down to about 7-8°C & won't go any lower.

So trying to save a few bucks because the freezer is still working on some level, I phone a refrigeration mechanic. He asks what the problem is, I give him a detailed account, he gives me the run around stating he needs to come out & have a look at it thus costing me an expensive call-out fee of about $90 just to tell me what the problem is without even doing any work on it. We to & fro a bit until I just say, "OK mate if you have to replace the compressor will that push the cost past the $300 mark?". He says that will take it over the $300 mark. So I said, I'll take some time & think on it. You all might be asking why $300? because I can buy a brand new freezer for $295 atm, & that's what I did today. I went the extra 2yr extended warranty (that I don't normally do) in case it decides to die prematurely. It'll be delivered tomorrow. 🙂

I've still got a finished beer sitting in my brew fridge that's been chilling down now for a week that I could have kegged last Monday if I wished too if not for this head @#$%.

Perfectly working STC-1000 went in the wheelie bin rubbish that was collected last week. 🤬

Say no more.

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 6

Probably sprung a gas leak somewhere. I did the same recently with the kegerator as you know. Considering the new one was $330 (plus delivery), it seemed like a better idea than repairing the old one which likely would have cost about the same. I didn't even bother having it looked at. 

Shame about the temp controller though

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

On 9/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, drewbert said:

My fail today was expensive but not terrible in the end. I went out bought new lines and connections. Even parts for a gas line splitter. Got two hand dispensers and all the little bits that go in between. Even a second temp controller so I wasn't stealing from my fv. So I'm home ready to get the version one keezer started. Turns out. The damn floor is indented. So limity floor space. Can JUST fit in a keg and the gas bottle. 

One benefit is I have a drawer at the top for cans etc

DB mate maybe you can just put in a shelf above the indented floor - and that way you can get more kegs in.... 

but you may then lose room for your tins up above...  it's just that my brew-fridge which is now my current keg-fridge has that indented floor thing going on as well... 

image.png.1be05031f84a7b1c57110b5eaa218560.png

2 minutes ago, Jumping jack flash said:

Forgot to put any beer in the fridge before work this morning, no cold beer. 😥

F#$k it! cold isn't a flavour right?!? 

30 mins in the freezer gets the first drinkable and the second one near spot on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jumping jack flash said:

@Dozer71 had a gin+tonic whilst they were chilling down in the freezer!

I forgot to deforst the t-bones for the bbq for dinner any advice there too brother (!?!)

put in good quality ziplock back and float in water... or if they are thin just whack 'em on and cook 'em a bit longer.

Or otherwise:  Leave in Freezer for next time. Order Pizza delivered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

R.I.P. Temp Controller

Wrong diagnosis, it was the freezer!! Aaaaaaaaarrrrggh!! 🤬 😠 🤬

I finally got hold of a new temp controller so I hook it up, & the same BS. Gets down to about 7-8°C & won't go any lower.

So trying to save a few bucks because the freezer is still working on some level, I phone a refrigeration mechanic. He asks what the problem is, I give him a detailed account, he gives me the run around stating he needs to come out & have a look at it thus costing me an expensive call-out fee of about $90 just to tell me what the problem is without even doing any work on it. We to & fro a bit until I just say, "OK mate if you have to replace the compressor will that push the cost past the $300 mark?". He says that will take it over the $300 mark. So I said, I'll take some time & think on it. You all might be asking why $300? because I can buy a brand new freezer for $295 atm, & that's what I did today. I went the extra 2yr extended warranty (that I don't normally do) in case it decides to die prematurely. It'll be delivered tomorrow. 🙂

I've still got a finished beer sitting in my brew fridge that's been chilling down now for a week that I could have kegged last Monday if I wished too if not for this head @#$%.

Perfectly working STC-1000 went in the wheelie bin rubbish that was collected last week. 🤬

Say no more.

Lusty.

I got stitched up in a similar way about 10-15 years ago on a dishwasher. Repair dude comes out and charged a wad to basically do a quote. Actual repair was going to cost another wad and a half. Ever since then instead of getting repairs I've just bought new appliances and extra warranty on the ones that are likely to fail eg. washing machines.
Not a really environmentally friendly way to do things but more cost effective.