Coopers Community

R.I.P. Temp Controller

Beerlust

A couple of days ago the registered temp of the STC-1000 I have controlling my keezer started to show some odd temp readings on the high side. Initially I thought I forgot to reset the temp zones from winter temps to Summer temps, so made the alterations. Checked it the next day after I got home from work & the probe was saying the air temp inside the keezer (freezer) was about 3-4 degrees higher than the zone temp I set it at. So I'm like WTF? The probe was saying it was 5-6°C & above. At first I thought maybe the probe reading was wrong, so cleaned it up, (it was clean already anyway). Next day no change, still higher than the settings I preset. The freezer itself is lit up as being on, & the temp controller panel is saying it is asking the freezer to engage the compressor & operate. I'm starting to scratch my head at this point as to WTF is going on. So I sleep on it.

I didn't check it in the morning & went off to work as normal. It was the start of some 30°C+ days we just finished up with today here in Adelaide. I arrived home that day & walked over to the keezer to pour myself a beer. The controller said it was 16°C inside the keezer!! WTF???!!! At this point I realised something more serious was at play. Either the STC-1000 had shited itself or the freezer has. So I unplugged the temp controller & allowed the freezer to run independently of it. After an hour or so I came back & inspected the inside of the freezer. Ice crystals had started to form & it was cold when opening the lid. Freezer = OK, so must be the controller.

On closer inspection of the controller I noticed the two extension cable inputs into the box had a slight blackening closest to the box side about 2-3 millimetres in length. I immediately disconnected the temp controller. If left to run longer it may well have started a melt & caused a fire.

Ohh well, With no electrical training my self-wired box lasted 7yrs. Not bad for an under $20 investment (from memory). 😋

I tried to get a new controller today from my two LHBS's. One is waiting on a new model to arrive, the other was out & won't have any more until Tuesday. 😦

Ohh well, freezer is set to minimum that I'm led to believe aims for 0°C. I'll turn it off overnight & run it intermittently while I'm home until I can get the new controller.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

I had one die once although not in the way of potentially causing a fire. That was the red ale beer slushy episode 😂

My water distiller died recently though and it made a weird popping sound and I saw a small wisp of smoke coming from it. Naturally it was unplugged straight away and I discovered it had a crack in the underside of the top and had leaked, obviously in a way that got into the plug at the bottom. Bought a new one which is all stainless steel so shouldn't be getting any cracks in it 

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I had one die once although not in the way of potentially causing a fire. That was the red ale beer slushy episode 😂

🤣

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...My water distiller died recently though and it made a weird popping sound and I saw a small wisp of smoke coming from it.

In my case, I wasn't going to wait til it smoked before I pulled the plug. 😜

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Naturally it was unplugged straight away and I discovered it had a crack in the underside of the top and had leaked, obviously in a way that got into the plug at the bottom. Bought a new one which is all stainless steel so shouldn't be getting any cracks in it 

By chance was this around the same time you had that issue with your dog(s) chewing on electrical cables? 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

I wouldn't have either but it was completely unexpected. No sign of any issues when I put the top on to start it up. Just happened at some point though the cycle. 

Haha no, well after the chewing cables situation. The still always sits on the kitchen bench when in use so it's out of reach when we aren't home anyway. It worked out well though, the Mrs doesn't mind the look of the new one, reckons it looks like a coffee machine so doesn't mind it being there as much when I do use it 😂

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...The still always sits on the kitchen bench when in use so it's out of reach when we aren't home anyway. It worked out well though, the Mrs doesn't mind the look of the new one, reckons it looks like a coffee machine so doesn't mind it being there as much when I do use it 😂

Winning. 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got back from a 3 day trip down to Whyalla yesterday, & have a couple of weeks off on annual leave before the Christmas retail bedlam. Today priority No.1 was to go a get a replacement temp controller for the STC-1000 running my keezer that shited itself last week.

I picked up a Keg King MKII from Beerbelly for just $55.00. That's a bargain IMHO. The stepping function alone allows for use in not only controlling ferment temperature stepping down slowly from higher pitching temps as to not upset the yeast too much, but also on the mashing side where it can be used to control an electric vessel for step mashing intervals.

Winning. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I run the keg king and I think it’s awesome 

Have you used it as a step mash temp controller? (anyone who has please join in!)

8 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I’m Sorry Lusty............. Just Joking................ not really. 

I was just starting to finalise my Christmas card list for this year too...

I’m sorry Capt you just slipped off it............. Just Joking................ not really. 

😜 😄

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Captain!! said:

Not yet, however I am purchasing a strainer type thing so I can start doing step mashing. Thinking of getting the second temp controller too. 

Cool. I'll be interested in your thoughts & views in this area when you have done a few brews mashing this way. 👍

For increased fermentability of wort, being able to step mash is a must & with certain beer styles you won't be able to hit the lower FG's & carry the flavour without adopting the method from the literature I've read.

This area is a primary reason for my interest in moving to AG, as it is an area I have very limited influence over with my current partial mash brewing practices.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

@Beerlust this is the reason I want to have a crack, to dry out my IPAs a little more

My uneducated question about this is does it dry the beer, or just thin it? I don't necessarily believe the two need to come hand-in-hand based on FG.

I'm happy to be educated differently on this front.

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

My uneducated question about this is does it dry the beer, or just thin it? I don't necessarily believe the two need to come hand-in-hand based on FG.

I'm happy to be educated differently on this front.

Lusty.

Without actually doing it I can’t answer completely honestly however from my understanding it drys it out, not thinning. Just ensures all the fermentables are done as far as possible, however has body. 
If I have an issue with that I’ll add a little more raw wheat to fill it out. 
I’ll be sending you a House pale when I brew it next so you can understand what I mean by filling it up with raw wheat. 
But again, I don’t know, until I do it on my system with my process. 
oxygen first though.

To add, I believe there is a big difference between the beer finishing dry with body and mouthfeel and a beer that has mouthfeel but has sweetness. 
what i am trying to do is reduce the sweetness in my beer to produce a drier product but still having body. 
I believe that step mashing is my answer to that. 
In IPA abv territory, alcohol, for me leaves a sweetness in itself. 
I reckon, without actually doing it, is what I believe wilL make my IPAs make a change to being better for my tastes. 
I think you’ll realise by now Lusty that I like to perfect what I like to drink, then move on to another style

Does this apply to "partial" step mashing like what I do on pilsners buy have since begun doing it for other beers as well? I usually find the pilsners to be clean and crisp but still have a good body without the FG being high. I haven't noticed much difference in other beers other than improved head retention from the 72°C mash rest. 

I haven't bothered with a full step mash since those debacles a few years ago. 

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Does this apply to "partial" step mashing like what I do on pilsners buy have since begun doing it for other beers as well? I usually find the pilsners to be clean and crisp but still have a good body without the FG being high. I haven't noticed much difference in other beers other than improved head retention from the 72°C mash rest. 

I haven't bothered with a full step mash since those debacles a few years ago. 

Hey Kelsey, have you ever checked the FG on the commercial Urquell?