Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

ben 10

Ours chewed some wires when she was a young kitten but nothing since. Those were only speaker wires or something anyway, not important stuff like brewing equipment 😂

The fridge and grain buckets have been there practically since we moved in, and have been left alone that whole time, until now. 

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, alexhenderson said:

I am about to dump all my PET bottles, I opened three this week and they were all flat as a biscuit, I was so looking forward to the contents, stout made in May last year, the bottles and caps were all new, I don't suppose I am the only one having this problem, none of my 500ml water bottles have ever failed.

Glass is good.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:23 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, I didn't have the means to really lager my lagers then like I do now but they were still nice. I used to lager them in the fermenter prior to bottling, but with kegs now I don't have to do that, so they just get a couple of weeks and the rest is done in the keg. The pale ales I started drinking around 3-4 weeks bottled so they wouldn't have gone much past 3 months by the time the last one was gone. 

Kelsey how long on average do you 'lager' your lagers in the kegs ?    And at what temps?

8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Today my fail is agreeing with my wife to have a child. Driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the time comes then Captain make sure you keep them away from the brew fridge and chewing your temp sensors!  I found a kiddie exclusion gate worked very well 😉

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bearded Burbler said:

When the time comes then Captain make sure you keep them away from the brew fridge and chewing your temp sensors!  I found a kiddie exclusion gate worked very well ; )

Kiddie exclusion fences for an eighteen year old around my beer fridge???

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

Kiddie exclusion fences for an eighteen year old around my beer fridge???

Mmmmmmmmmmm that is a slightly different story - suggest High Voltage instead maybe?!

Or failing that see if you can borrow one of Kelsey's puppies?  Might chew their socks off?

• Haha 3

On 3/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, alexhenderson said:

I am about to dump all my PET bottles, I opened three this week and they were all flat as a biscuit, I was so looking forward to the contents, stout made in May last year, the bottles and caps were all new, I don't suppose I am the only one having this problem, none of my 500ml water bottles have ever failed.

Alex and Team - could one - with great care, diligence, and hygiene... maybe in a sterile aspirated cabinet under UV lights (or a clean kitch top) carefully poor the precious Stout contents into a glass vessel - suggest Coopers Largie (clean and sterilised)... add a cuppla carb drops.... Cap well with a decent bench capper...  then do secondary ferment at plus 18 degC.... and have a win?!

That way capturing the aged stout but carbing it up.... or just pour very carefully all contents into a keg and then just gas it up?

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Kelsey how long on average do you 'lager' your lagers in the kegs ?    And at what temps?

Probably between 4-6 weeks most times. They sit at around zero in the kegerator, down from 3 degrees during the initial couple of weeks in the fermenter. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Haha dogs... Not real smart... Never had my cats chew any of my brewing stuff.

Yep, dogs are pretty clever, just ask Otto. 

Maybe us cat lovers should get a room.

Our youngest cat did chew wires when she was young, mostly headphone gauge wires.  Glad she did not graduate to AC power cords or she might have gone WOOF!.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mmmmmmmmmmm that is a slightly different story - suggest High Voltage instead maybe?!

Or failing that see if you can borrow one of Kelsey's puppies?  Might chew their socks off?

Nar, kiddy fence should be enough.  Hours of entertainment just watching them try to figure out the child proof locks.

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep, dogs are pretty clever, just ask Otto. 

Maybe us cat lovers should get a room.

Our youngest cat did chew wires when she was young, mostly headphone gauge wires.  Glad she did not graduate to AC power cords or she might have gone WOOF!.

Haha well I did only mention brewing stuff I guess... My sister's cat ate the cable on my AKG K501 twice when she was living with me.

And one of my cats attempts to eat my arm / hand every day when I shut him into the sunroom to sleep at night. It goes 'Let's go Shifty'... Bite... 'Stop it'... Bite... 'Stop it'... Haha. 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Alex and Team - could one - with great care, diligence, and hygiene... maybe in a sterile aspirated cabinet under UV lights (or a clean kitch top) carefully poor the precious Stout contents into a glass vessel - suggest Coopers Largie (clean and sterilised)... add a cuppla carb drops.... Cap well with a decent bench capper...  then do secondary ferment at plus 18 degC.... and have a win?!

That way capturing the aged stout but carbing it up.... or just pour very carefully all contents into a keg and then just gas it up?

I would give it a shot if the beer tastes good, but is flat. I'd try putting some tubing over the end of a funnel to cut out a bit of splashing and hence oxygen ingress. The secondary ferment would take care of some of that anyway.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Glass is good.

In another place you will find my reason for changing to plastic, I used glass for about fifty years but a friend losing his eye convinced me to change, it is unfortunate that the ageing process causes us to make mistakes that the young person does not, having said that the friend that lost his eye was a young person. I put a couple of carb drops in the bottles and recapped them hoping they will seal properly this time.  

• Like 2

Fair enough Alex.   I have used Plazzis before and also ages ago when boating on the Reef w mates that was de rigueur and worked just fine.   Horses for courses.  Good luck with the re-carb process! 

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

Yes, cats are much smarter, but they are jerks 😋

Bit harsh there Hairy... each to their own mate.  Closest thing I have to a pet is me local Wombat...  and he IS a jerk.  Well I guess him n his mates were here first 😆

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nar, kiddy fence should be enough.  Hours of entertainment just watching them try to figure out the child proof locks.

mmmm reminds me of some Pipeline Metering Stations years ago - nice little fenced and locked compounds - outta town - fairly remote - but on highway - local sport was to steal the solar panels. So to discourage - they were stuck on 10 foot pole cemented in ground - so ol' mate cuts the fence - cuts the pole off at ground level and takes the pole and panel...

All the while the gate on the compound did not have a lock on it and he coulddda strolled through the gate happily...  Guess why use the unlocked gate when you can cut the fence hey?😝

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Bit harsh there Hairy... each to their own mate.  Closest thing I have to a pet is me local Wombat...  and he IS a jerk.  Well I guess him n his mates were here first 😆

I actually like cats, but they can be jerks.