Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

ben 10

On 12/19/2019 at 5:09 PM, porschemad911 said:

The other week I rang my mum halfway through a 60 min boil. Crap, that now became a 90 min boil and a sky high (compared to what I was aiming for) OG of 1.027. With a few more IBUs to balance it out I guess.

Why would your boil increase the OG?  Would not all of your fermentables and non-fermentables that contribute to OG already be in place via the mash - or is it the Maillard reaction thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the last fail for 2019.

My 2nd ferment fridge has a freezer attached to it, which I use as a beer "fridge". It's set to the lowest setting and only runs when the fridge runs.  Perfect for cooling beer quickly. Love it.

However if you put a fermenter with 27C wort in there to cool off, the fridge will run for quite a long time...and so will the freezer. So when I checked the stock this morning, I found 3 tallies and 5 stubbies frozen solid. I'm surprised (and glad) they didn't burst. When I opened them, one of the tallies was spewing out frozen froth, not dissimilar to a slurpy. 😂

Note to self, empty the freezer when putting a new brew in the fridge 🙂 

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Waynealford said:

Only just saw this thread, made my very first mistake on 17/12, my birthday and the very first batch.  Rinsed the hydrometer tube in hot water and promptly melted it...…. got a proper one now.

Was it a Coopers Plazzi?

On 11/20/2019 at 2:22 PM, MUZZY said:

A new kind of fail: Not reading the label.
Being a K&K man, I popped into Drakes and grabbed 2 x 1.7kg tins of Coopers. I thought it was 2 Aus Pale Ale but the green labels threw me and it turns out I've grabbed one APA and one Lager.
It's currently 40C in Adelaide but the next 5 or so days are going to be brewable days weather wise, down into the low 20s. I want to get brewing tomorrow morning and I don't have time to go back to the shop.
I like to make 46 litre brews these days. What do you folks think of combining these two tins? I'm not expecting to make a world class beer but I don't want to make something that tastes toxic.??
Should I combine the two in the name of science or just make them singularly into 23 litre brews?

Well, I made a 46 litre brew of APA & Lager tins, kit yeasts, BE2 x 2kg and added a hop tea of 25g EKG hops steeped for 40 minutes.

The result is the pictured beer bottled 29/11/19. It's turned out possibly the clearest beer I've ever made. I don't use finings etc. It tastes pretty good too. 
PS. I now realise it's not that great a photo but it still tastes good. 🙂

IMG20200118154915.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Well, I made a 46 litre brew of APA & Lager tins, kit yeasts, BE2 x 2kg and added a hop tea of 25g EKG hops steeped for 40 minutes.

The result is the pictured beer bottled 29/11/19. It's turned out possibly the clearest beer I've ever made. I don't use finings etc. It tastes pretty good too. 

IMG20200118154915.jpg

Looks good Muzzy 🍺

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Looks good Muzzy 🍺

Thanks, Red. Photo probably doesn't do it justice. I won't be entering the next MOTB competition with it but I'm happy it turned out drinkable.
Thanks must go to those on here that gave me the confidence to mix the two tins together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I'm glad you did it Muzzy...  great to experiment... that is the way to learn... and you can change it up next time.

I posted that pic of Toucan with Coops Dark Ale and Lager together - worked out well - looked like a crazy red Ale with light from behind.

image.png.e2d7270ac5da658eb9d16f51cb009bc4.png

I mean you adding that Lager Tin - you are adding more liquid malt and more hops...  can't be that bad.

Guess the only thing I did with the Dark Ale was stick just to the Ale Yeast... 

And as long as you're happy with the result then that's a beautiful thing!  ; )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I'm glad you did it Muzzy...  great to experiment... that is the way to learn... and you can change it up next time.

I posted that pic of Toucan with Coops Dark Ale and Lager together - worked out well - looked like a crazy red Ale with light from behind.

image.png.e2d7270ac5da658eb9d16f51cb009bc4.png

I mean you adding that Lager Tin - you are adding more liquid malt and more hops...  can't be that bad.

Guess the only thing I did with the Dark Ale was stick just to the Ale Yeast... 

And as long as you're happy with the result then that's a beautiful thing!  ; )

You are clearly a better photographer than I, BB. Your beer looks far more desirable than mine.
And you're right, the experiment worked this time around.
Cheers!

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 10:13 AM, Waynealford said:

Only just saw this thread, made my very first mistake on 17/12, my birthday and the very first batch.  Rinsed the hydrometer tube in hot water and promptly melted it...…. got a proper one now.

Yep those plastic ones don't do well with hot water 😂

I have a couple of borosilicate glass ones, one 100mL and the other 250mL. I usually clean them with boiling water and sodium percarbonate. They're better for reading the hydrometer too, I find some of the plastic ones are opaque and you can't really see through them very well. 

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

You are clearly a better photographer than I, BB. Your beer looks far more desirable than mine.
And you're right, the experiment worked this time around.
Cheers!

Ha ha Muzzy - that was a mate's photo - I shared a bottle with him! 

Really good that your experimental brew came through nice.... great stuff mate.

• Haha 1