Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

ben 10

Bottled my latest batch made with re activated coopers yeast and US-05 unfortunately had the start of pellicle infection. Was looking forward to re using the slurry but I bottled 18 litres and left 5 behind with doing taste tests while bottling which tasted great.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:27 PM, Titan said:

I might have a fail also. Fast carb a keg at 40 psi new years eve morning. Forgot about it until last night so expecting it to be over carbbed. Will check it when i get home tonight.

Once did that for 3 days at 45 ish. Forgot all about it. All foam. I dont think its gonna be pretty

Hi Gully,

I'm watching and interested in this thread,

I'm wanting to attempt some yeast play.   recent 2 brews have no dry hoppin so thinkin maybe time to try - slurry only or washin, then maybe harvesting

both dry yeast - 1 x us05 and 1 notty -  thinkin i'll save a 750 from the bottom of the FV of each in tha next cupla days

cheers and regards

Guv

34 minutes ago, Gully85 said:

Well my second attempt at saving the yeast from a CPA, already collected the 6 pack and been through the fermintation. Hmm but it seems I collected all the junk! Will keep trying and get some small starters from any clean yeast i can collect.

20190106_123038.jpg

Hi Gully, I am not sure why you think this might be a "fail".  Your jars look just like those that I fill when harvesting straight from my fermenter for reuse.  I keep the jars in the fridge and when I am ready to pitch, I take them out of the fridge, pour off 3/4 of the "beer" and swirl up the rest with the yeast/junk, then stir the wort in my fermenter and pitch in the yeast.  It mixes in well.  Usually gets started within 24 hours.

Hi Guvna, Give it a go.  It is rewarding.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Gully, I am not sure why you think this might be a "fail".  Your jars look just like those that I fill when harvesting straight from my fermenter for reuse.  I keep the jars in the fridge and when I am ready to pitch, I take them out of the fridge, pour off 3/4 of the "beer" and swirl up the rest with the yeast/junk, then stir the wort in my fermenter and pitch in the yeast.  It mixes in well.  Usually gets started within 24 hours.

Hi Guvna, Give it a go.  It is rewarding.

Cheers Shamus

Well I thought maybe the top 3mm was good yeast and the rest is just trub. No difinative 'll es been produced from yeast, trub and junk. Reason why I though it was a fail.... So maybe a anti fail

• Like 1

@Gully85. You will find that there will be enough yeast in those jars to do 4 batches. Often the yeast doesn't separate properly when you take it from the slurry and IMO washing is just a total waste of time. As @Shamus O'Sean said just decant the beer and pitch. However i must warn against pitching the whole lot for an ale. Try to adhere to pitching rates for ale batches. If it were a lager id say pitch the whole lot but ales overpitching can rob the batch of flavours from pitching at or near an optimal rate. 

Type mr malty pitch calculator into google for some slurry pitch rates. I work on 1.5Bn per ml but thats just an educated guess based on trial and error.

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2019 at 1:50 PM, Ben 10 said:

No biggie, filling the cube and the monkeys weren't watching, overfilled, wort all over the floor.

Lost 17 litres of perfectly good Mild Ale TODAY by racking into a vessel with an open tap. Beer all over the garage floor.

Edited by PaulW31
  • Sad 6

Early one for me in 2019! First brew and it was a cube sour and I sparge and topped kettle up to 30L... Then transferred 22.5L to a cube! Will be a bit weaker than I expected but still within style for a Berliner Weiss.

Full thread here: 

• Sad 1

Threw my hydro tube in the dishwasher as a lazy cleaning option pulled it out to take a sample of my "All Sazzed up with no place to go" 3can Cerveza and noticed the banana type bend in it 😂. On a plus  note went to Bunnings and got a new Trinidad scorpion chilli with a plump nearly ripe chilli that I might use in a brew. 1.2 mil Scovilles isn't to bad.20190111_161443.thumb.jpg.4ad822873daadc3a82d870c59ed93774.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I did that to one by pouring post mash wort into it. 

I use borosilicate glass testing jars/tubes now.

I did the exact same thing Kelsey and have moved to the 100mL lab measuring cylinders too.  In hindsight it's so obvious what 78C wort would do to regular PET plastic!

• Like 4

Was all set to bottle my real ale batch last week when my bottling tree took a tumble and all 30 glass coopers tallies fell. Luckily onto a couch,  only one broke.

After a quick inspection and sanitise, I bottled away. I had two empties left on the bottling tree that stayed there until the next night when I bottled a toucan stout. 

I'm beginning to wonder if I've put hairline cracks in some of the bottles as I've just had my first ever bottle bomb. Not really a bomb just the whole bottom 2 or 3 mm of the bottle has sheared off clean, no glass fragments anywhere, stout all over the floor

It was one of the toucan stouts I had put 2 carb drops in for young drinking, only been in the bottles for 5 days but the crown seals are already bulging. I just hope the real ale batch doesn't all blow, 😁

Also i was ready (or so i thought) to do a double brew night the other night when I realised I'd only bought enough hops for one batch.....doh... 😂

Cheers, Lee

• Sad 6

Well not really a 'fail' but terrible planning.

Thought hey i got time for a brew before i go out... nope.

Got the brewing system started, electrical fault on one of the elements. No worries easy fix. I still have time to brew. 1030am leaving at 1230.

Get water up to temp and add crushed grain. 11am sure heaps of time. 11:15am i do the math and i don't have time to boil. Idiot.

So mash is just passed the 60 minute mark and it will keep going for the next 2 hours until i am back.

I am doing a Irish red ale for the first time so hopefully it turns out... hopefully!!

Edited by Gully85
  • Like 1

Shouldn't be a problem if the temperature is kept where it should be. It'll probably just make the wort a bit more fermentable. 

I did a 5 hour mash once because of having to go somewhere. The temp dropped to about 50 degrees and I had more kettle trub than normal but the beer was fine from memory.