Coopers Community

Fail Thread (Mistakes You've Made) 2019

ben 10

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yes I still get yeast in the keg but it's bugger all and the first pour is generally pretty clear. 

So are mine. One of the last kegs I did I CC in FV and fined in the keg and have noticed no difference to the previous kegs that were just had a FV crash. 

I've never kegged without finings so I don't have anything to compare to in terms of yeast sediment, however I never achieved really clear beer until I started using polyclar. Yeast haze goes away by itself in time, and while chill haze does as well, it takes a lot longer. I found the haze I was getting was chill haze, yeast drops out relatively quickly. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

For those that bottle the secondary fermentation you speak of occurs in the bottle, but after an effective CC there should be no particulates finding their way into the bottles.  

There may no non-yeast particulates finding their way into the secondary ferment vessel, however, there is always sediment generated in the bottle associated with the yeast's activity and population growth.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

100%, where this is a sediment there are particulates ... 

Matter cannot be created nor destroyed... First Law of Thermodynamics 👽

As clearly demonstrated by Yahoo Serious in Young Einstein, splitting the Beer Atom:

image.png.21fbbe8daa00ebd8298544a64823f4ae.png

• Haha 2

I think when we talk of 'particulates' in the beer we're generally referring to anything other than yeast.  Yeast sediment is usually a given to a greayer or lesser extent and goes without saying.  It's largely hop debris that's most often the source of bothersome particulates. 

When it comes to TSS 

Total Suspended Solids

I don't care what it is.

It is either in suspension...

or flocculated on the floor of the solute which is here the brew and over time may occur regards bottles as the matter on the base of the bottle.

Whether it is Yeast, or Protein, or Hops, it will contribute to suspended solids which can be measured as nephelometric turbidity units.

So I do not agree.

When we talk of 'particulates; in beer, I would suggest, we are discussing whatever matter is in suspension. 

53 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

When we talk of 'particulates; in beer, I would suggest, we are discussing whatever matter is in suspension. 

Would you be happier if the the more specific, unambiguous phrase "non-yeast particulates" was used instead?  Would that make it "clearer" for you?  😉  

• Haha 1

I use the word particulate to refer to all particles in the brew both in the sediment and in suspension. But for future discussion I am happy to differentiate suspended and sedimentary particles which to me  include yeast, all their by-products and all other organic and inorganic particles. However, I doubt their are to many inorganic particles.  

A new kind of fail: Not reading the label.
Being a K&K man, I popped into Drakes and grabbed 2 x 1.7kg tins of Coopers. I thought it was 2 Aus Pale Ale but the green labels threw me and it turns out I've grabbed one APA and one Lager.
It's currently 40C in Adelaide but the next 5 or so days are going to be brewable days weather wise, down into the low 20s. I want to get brewing tomorrow morning and I don't have time to go back to the shop.
I like to make 46 litre brews these days. What do you folks think of combining these two tins? I'm not expecting to make a world class beer but I don't want to make something that tastes toxic.??
Should I combine the two in the name of science or just make them singularly into 23 litre brews?

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Should I combine the two in the name of science or just make them singularly into 23 litre brews?

The combo would be OK, around 40 IBU.  That's APA territory.  I'd throw, a few hundred g's of sugar,  some dry hops, and perhaps a hop tea as well,  and you're good to go. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

The combo would be OK, around 40 IBU.  That's APA territory.  I'd throw, a few hundred g's of sugar,  some dry hops, and perhaps a hop tea as well,  and you're good to go. 

Thank you, Blacksands. I was planning on adding some hops. You've filled me with confidence to give it a go. Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi Marty.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:51 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

Just on the concept of cold crashing: if you are kegging and force carbing is a crash even necessary?  

I just skimmed over posts since this one of yours so forgive anything I may have missed. To answer your question....ABSOLUTELY (IMHO).

Without going into arguments around the use of clarifying agents (post-fermentation) then YES. Anything you can do to minimise sediment transfer into your kegged & bottled beer is generally considered a good thing post primary fermentation.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Unfortunately mate, you can't just explain this away in a single sentence this time.

You need to elaborate a little more on your methods & probably need to make mention of your local climate temps & timings for what you do & when you do etc.

This subject is not a "one size fits all" type deal.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Keeping with the above, No cold crashing is not necessary to force carb in kegs. Yes it is helpful to aid in making brighter beer.

That about sums it up I think... Well by keeping it simple anyway. We could get into the entire PSI vs particular temps range to get the correct Co2 Vols etc but meh, you made beer enjoy.

My issue is tracking where I'm getting a metallic or medical flavour into my beer. Haven't noticed it until a 'good friend' (arse) pointed it out. Comes down;

1 water chemistry

2 alluminium kettle

3 bottle wand and tube is testy

Some simple fixes some not, well with out spending more money.

24 minutes ago, Gully85 said:

My issue is tracking where I'm getting a metallic or medical flavour into my beer. Haven't noticed it until a 'good friend' (arse) pointed it out. Comes down;

1 water chemistry

2 alluminium kettle

3 bottle wand and tube is testy

Some simple fixes some not, well with out spending more money.

Have you thought about the amount of sanitiser left in your kegs/bottles at time of packaging?

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Marty.

I just skimmed over posts since this one of yours so forgive anything I may have missed. To answer your question....ABSOLUTELY (IMHO).

Without going into arguments around the use of clarifying agents (post-fermentation) then YES. Anything you can do to minimise sediment transfer into your kegged & bottled beer is generally considered a good thing post primary fermentation.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Depends on the style for me. For hop driven and lager styles i agree lusty.

Saisons and belgians i often do a short 2 day CC and sometimes not at all depending on the yeast used.