Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey mate. Yeah i often just keep slurry and use it in brews. Usually with lagers only as i just pitch the whole lot. Ales are a little bit different and i get somewhat scientific when pitching ale slurry. I use a calculator and pitch on the basis of 1.5bn cells per Ml. So for a 1045 OG 21 L batch i would pitch about 140ml of compacted slurry. I will do this without fear up to about a month old then i get nervous aboyt viability and fire it up again in another starter. 

Saying that the best results i have got with WB06 is a slight underpitch and a temp of around 24c so i encourage you to experiment.

I wouldn't use WB06 in a barley only batch. Its meant for wheats.

Great information Greeny - Ta.

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I have a nice bottle of WB06 in the fridge for the future and am wondering how I would pitch in best way possible - and could I use WB06 in a Barley Malt based brew?

You absolutely can! Just make a dampfbier. I have a home brewing mate who made one a few times and reckoned it was great. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good luck with your Weissbier!  What Yeast did you end up going with?

My Hefeweizen turned into Weizenbock with a few extra kilos of LDME... is recent in the bottle but tasting good.  But is only an extract brew...  not AG excellence like yours ; )

Good mouthfeel and great head retention... used liquid malts... seems dry malts don't generate such good mouthfeel and head retention... 

image.png.546cfd335f01b2c688356f2865320abd.png

Sounds good 👍 hope mine turns out half as good, went with MJ’s M20 barvarian wheat,

cheers 

John

• Like 3

On 2/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, BlackSands said:

Enjoying a big handle of Cat's Piss!  😁

(Citra PA)

CatsPiss-1.jpg

I have a similar brew on tap now. Australian PA. All I have, and brew freezer taken with a baltic porter so cant brew anything else as this porter will go for a rest at the weekend. Only thing i can think of is to push my wine fridge into service and brew a partial English bitter. Regardless any beer i do now is still 2 weeks to the glass.

Not liking the porter so much either, sample does not excite me like the last one. Current sg 1027 with a target of 1024.

• Like 2

Having a Steam Ale type clone. Its very tasty but looks like shite! Any ideas why it looks so bad?

75% Pilsner, 25% Wheat. Galaxy, Cascade and Citra. Coopers commercial ale yeast.

20190206_190831.jpg

Edited by Rowbrew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowbrew said:

Having a Steam Ale type clone. Its very tasty but looks like shite! Any ideas why it looks so bad?

75% Pilsner, 25% Wheat. Galaxy, Cascade and Citra. Coopers commercial ale yeast.

20190206_190831.jpg

Maybe it’s the camera work?? 

You need help from Blacksands ha ha ha 

Beer Baron

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hey Kelsey, im not really fussed about the haze, i just don't like the colour of it. The original Mountain Goat Steam Ale uses Ale malt and Wheat malt but looks very different colour wise. Do you reckon its because i used Pilsner malt instead of Pale malt? I had pretty poor efficiency with this one too, only 56% Im usually up around the 65% mark

• Like 1

Was the malt old? I've never had that sort of hue from pilsner malt grists. It looks like a cloudy strawberry pilsner but the ingredients shouldn't have caused that colour.

Any number of things could affect the efficiency, even 65 is on the low side but consistency is good. When it drops below the norm it's either something going wrong or a bigger than usual malt bill used. 

• Like 1

Yeah the malt bill was a little old i guess, about 6 months, but i cracked the grains on brewday so i didn't think it would matter too much. Yeah im not sure what im doing wrong in the way of efficiency. I usually use around 3.5 to 4kg total grains for a 16 litre batch. Mashed in around 19 litres water and 'dunk' sparged in around 8 litres. Pre boil volume of around 25, 26 litres, 60 min boil, 4 to 5 litres trub. Now my urn is an 40 litre Birko exposed element, dunno if that makes a difference or not, but yeah i get nowhere near 75% efficiency. I have found that when i did bigger batches, as in 22 litres, i was getting efficiency around the 71 to 73% mark

7 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Yeah the malt bill was a little old i guess, about 6 months, but i cracked the grains on brewday so i didn't think it would matter too much. Yeah im not sure what im doing wrong in the way of efficiency. I usually use around 3.5 to 4kg total grains for a 16 litre batch. Mashed in around 19 litres water and 'dunk' sparged in around 8 litres. Pre boil volume of around 25, 26 litres, 60 min boil, 4 to 5 litres trub. Now my urn is an 40 litre Birko exposed element, dunno if that makes a difference or not, but yeah i get nowhere near 75% efficiency. I have found that when i did bigger batches, as in 22 litres, i was getting efficiency around the 71 to 73% mark

I reckon it looks Festive RowBrew mate - and if it tastes good WGAF!

Am looking at going into the Malt Cracking All Grain Legends Gang - still dribbling out the concentrate brews for the time being but keen to pick up on the tips...

Did you use all that fancy stuff the guns use - like Whirfloc and Isinglass and Brewbrite Polyclar... 

I could send you some proprietary polycationic coagulant from the Plant if you like ; )

Reckon it would knock your particulates out easy... clarify yer beer but best not to drink it then - just take a photo and pour down the loo 😝 and clean out the S-Bend ?!

• Haha 2

On 1/27/2019 at 8:33 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

So I guess it's also clear when it's raining then... 😜

Too true Kelsey - it's clear when it's raining here...

hefeweizen but in the fridge 24 hours and thought it would be nice to see how it tastes ohne yeast ; )

image.thumb.png.1a5c108e939651649c486579fa9cfb87.png

image.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
Could you please update your website Coopers to allow editing seems Grumpy's recipe is stuck inside my post
  • Like 4

On 2/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, John304 said:

Have a German Hefeweizen in the fermenter atm,never brewed a wheat before, looking forward try this one. Looks like it will be a light,missed my og by a mile due to my equipment, bring on the 40ltr urn

just having a crack at the earlier Hefeweizen - more like 5.5% ABV and I think that my latter one may be overdone - it is so Bock-isch... maybe a bit too much malt and high ABV.. around 7.7% but pretty heavy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Another lager taster, attempting to get somewhere near Blacksands' pictures 😂

Tasting better than a week ago and slight clarity improvement.

20190209_181825.thumb.jpg.5ee601dfd28a3a9a7b8ef88d1592595c.jpg

Near Blacksands pictures bah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha nice try Kelsey. 

Nice beer though!!😂

• Haha 2