Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Trying a glass of my German/Czech lager, been in the keg on gas for 5 days, tasting good and good carbonation but I'll leave it alone now to fully carbonate and lager fully. Already very clear and a decent Euro lager flavour. Looking forward to tasting it after it's lagered more.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

Belgian dark strong which i bottled a week and a bit ago. Carbonated but not the fluffy head yet. Wanted to try one of these early as its using 1214 yeast which i think has mutated. Unusually sweet for a beer that finished at 1006. Tastes a lot like Gulden Draak. Will be interested to see how this develops over 6 or so months. Im a bit undecided if i should throw my 1214 and start again. Its definately changed but wouldn't consider it bad flavours. Just different.

20190128_192506.jpg

• Like 5

Cracked the first of my Blue Moon clone AG brew. Colour is off and it’s as cloudy as AF, but the taste and mouthfeel is good. Nice zing from the wheat and the hint of spice and the sweet orange is just there. Might pour the next with a slice of orange to see how it goes. It was crystal clear in the bottle prior to chilling.

Not great but damn good so I’ll put that down as a win!

4AB47FFF-471D-4AE0-843E-541D28C8874C.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks @The Captain1525230099 and @Otto Von Blotto. It’s only been in the bottle just over 2 weeks (15 days actually) but was in the fridge for 3 days before I opened it.

I was thinking chill haze too and probably put that down to process more than anything. I think some of the break material made it through to the fermenter when I siphoned it off from my pot/kettle. I did put 1/2 a whirlfloc in towards the end of the boil and certainly had quite a bit of trub in the bottom. Took ages and a million litres of water to chill it down too.

For a first I’m happy. Got everything ready to go for a vanilla stout but just need the time to kick it off. Got a 11l cube from Bunnings so will probably no chill this one to help manage the time a bit better.

Learning and getting cheap and ok beer to boot. How good is this!

• Like 2

On 1/27/2019 at 8:03 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

So I guess it's also clear when it's raining then... 😜

It's a good thing you're a bit younger than a few of us here on the forum Kelsey.

Those old Mrs Marsh Colgate commercials would have really @#$%ed with you big time! 😜

..."It really does get in?!!" 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Really? Mine usually takes a few days to a week.  Not clear like beers with finings, but no chill haze.

If it's not clear like beers with finings then it's probably still chill haze. Finings remove it, well some do, hence the clarity. Yeast drops out quickly in bottles, most of it is gone by the time carbonation has happened. Putting it in the fridge doesn't stir it up unless you shake the bottles around or something.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If it's not clear like beers with finings then it's probably still chill haze. Finings remove it, well some do, hence the clarity. Yeast drops out quickly in bottles, most of it is gone by the time carbonation has happened. Putting it in the fridge doesn't stir it up unless you shake the bottles around or something.

True but I guess the level of haziness that is exceptable is in the eye of the beerholder. 

My beers now are no where near clear due to the amount of hops (and no finings) I use but earlier I could near on see my finger print on the other side of the glass. 

Due to your obviously clear examples of very clear unfiltered beers, I will soon do a very hoppy beer with finings and isinglass to see how it looks in the glass. And obviously post. 

Large amounts of hops do contribute to haze. Some of that haze is chill haze. I generally don't end up with crystal clear pale ales unless I let them sit in the keg for a few weeks. However, the level of haze in them is still very small compared to when I used nothing but kettle finings and a cold crash. 

It will be interesting to see what the keg hops do in this regard since they will be added after the isinglass and polyclar have done their work. 

• Like 2

This is the Citra Saison that I fermented in my Fermentation fridge without temp control. An experiment of sorts. Belle Saison yeast, first time using it and I agree with everyone. It is a beast!

pitched at 26.9C, it rose up to 32C very quickly and hovered there for the majority of the time

once Fermentation died down, it dropped to 27-28C. I bottled after 10 or so days when it had reached FG plus a few days to clean up. No cold crash for saisons in my brewery.

8 days in bottle and I couldn’t resist a taste. Already very good. The funk is there and no fusels that I can detect. Will advise tomo if I have a cracking headache. So @Ben 10 is right yet again saisons can be left to their own devices and sky rocket in temp, but still come out very well.

@Beerlust did say these beers are the easiest for an entry level brewer with limited equipment (eg. no brew fridge) to master, and I wholly agree. Tis the season to saison!

423F4FF6-F02A-41D0-83DB-20063147587B.jpeg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Only problem for saisons with entry level brewers is that the majority of them are megaswill drinkers and a Saison would probably turn them off brewing for life 😂

Oh my!

I can agree but people please give a go. I don’t really dig massive sours but can appreciate a great Saison.

i actually turned 6 people that “hated” saison with one bottle of Fantome beirre de Saison. 

• Like 2

So I’ve given the “How much much hops can I put into pale ale. I think I’ve reach saturation point. 

Dead set tastes like a grapefruit, spicy/citrus 

No this is not a NEIPA.  Only heavy hot side hops and one 160g dry hop after fermentation.

Dead set...... waaaayyy to much hops!!!’n

CAFE1CA7-BB35-48A0-8DF1-B3B765CAE217.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3