Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

DIY_EnterpriseLager.jpg

Coopers DIY Enterprise Lager.

Been in the FV for 3 weeks, the last full week in cold condition mode. I fast carbed it up earlier today.

Nice flavour from the Pacific Jade hops on top of the kit flavours. Nice little light peppery note (new for me) you could certainly get used to in a lager/pilsner brew. The head development is good, retention will improve in time. The integration of the additional hops used with the Euro lager kit base is very well done (IMHO). The aroma is nice without being anything over the top. Bitterness is firm atm, but I would expect will smooth a little over time. It's still obviously quite green (young) & will only improve with further ageing.  The trouble is, it's the only beer I have in a keg atm. 😨

I can't see it lasting to a point where it will be at it's best unfortunately. Que sera sera.😋

Live long & prosper. 👍

Lusty.

• Like 8

"Lucky Dip" Porter....     a partial brewed from 2kg of an unknown grain bill milled in error and a can of light LME, dosed up with Fuggles and Goldings.  Disappointing head performance which curiously has be a recurring theme with most dark beers (porters/stouts) I've brewed in the past, but otherwise... not a bad brew. 

LuckyDipPorter-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 12

On 2/27/2019 at 4:19 PM, BlackSands said:

"Lucky Dip" Porter....     

LuckyDipPorter-1.jpg

Terrific photo & lovely looking colour for a porter BlackSands. 🙂

I'm not sure about what point this beer is at with it's ageing process, but time will improve the aspects you're not entirely happy with to a point.

What was the FG of this beer if I might ask?

A higher FG equates to a thicker viscosity for the beer that helps retain head development for longer.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

My APA. Have run dry on kegs so cracked this one today. This is a totally different brew than i was pouring from the keg. Kegged beer had a meh attitude, from the bottle this is so good. Lovely bitterness and aroma. Why does the keg not show the same character?

20190302_125335.jpg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Titan said:

My APA. Have run dry on kegs so cracked this one today. This is a totally different brew than i was pouring from the keg. Kegged beer had a meh attitude, from the bottle this is so good. Lovely bitterness and aroma. Why does the keg not show the same character?

20190302_125335.jpg

I bottled half a FWK and kegged the rest, I ended up keg hopping the keg because I felt it did not have enough hop presence. Fast forward a week and my Buddy who I gave the other half of the FWK to, came over and tried the keg version, I told him it would be hoppier and have more aroma and flavour than his version, he straight up told me "Yeah Nah." His bottled version was hoppier and had more aroma than the keg version?!?! Well at least to his perception and memory (grain of salt).  I dont know why but was pretty blown away by that.

3 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Man I want a Homebrew. Got two fresh kegs waiting for me at home but this little duck is at work till Tuesday 

I will have one for you Mate. I understand the struggle with travel and work so much better now...wish I didnt but it pays the bills and I get to see the country, but man I miss my kegs most days. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

I will have one for you Mate. I understand the struggle with travel and work so much better now...wish I didnt but it pays the bills and I get to see the country, but man I miss my kegs most days. 

You do that Norris. Have 35 of them. Ha ha ha

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, Beerlust said:

What was the FG of this beer if I might ask?

A higher FG equates to a thicker viscosity for the beer that helps retain head development for longer.

FG=1.010.  I deliberately aimed for a drier finish with high-attenuating yeast and low mash temp.  It's still 6 points higher that the much better performing saisons I brewed recently though.  As it happens I think in the end I just poured this one from an under-carb'ed bottle.  The batch wasn't bulk-primed and I think my bottle priming measurement was probably a bit off on the larger 1.25L size bottles.  The 750ml I poured yesterday was much better.    

• Like 2

Sipping on this lime and raspberry cider. It is tart! About 1/4 of the packet of sweetener, probably less and it has me puckering. I wanted it tart and dry, it is. After a few weeks the raspberry and lime aromas have melded together well. I think I will call this batch Raspberry Sour Patch Cider.

Cheers

Norris

20190303_181642.jpg

• Like 6

So tried my latest IPA and Pale last night. 

The IPA didn’t finish as low as it should have so its way to sweet. 

Pale was nice, pine and citrus in one little package. Very nice.

My yeast has done its dash after ten generations ( I think) it’s time to retire and get a new batch going. 

Just a pity that it’s ruined a whole batch of beer.

50 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

So tried my latest IPA and Pale last night. 

The IPA didn’t finish as low as it should have so its way to sweet. 

Pale was nice, pine and citrus in one little package. Very nice.

My yeast has done its dash after ten generations ( I think) it’s time to retire and get a new batch going. 

Just a pity that it’s ruined a whole batch of beer.

You could try blending it with another beer that is drier and more bitter.

• Thanks 1

I am drinking a Golden Ale from black rock that I brewed 4th August 2018. It was right before I got temp control, but I thought I had kept it around 22c at the warmest, anyways I kegged it in a keg I got for $5 and fixed with some news seals and fittings for less than $25. Anyways I thought the keg wasn't sealing and when I could get something from it, it tasted horrible, to me.

I added 15g of Nelson sauvin and 30g if citra to a 20 min steep and did a 2:1 ratio dry hop with the same at 50g and 25g.

I decided to leave it in the keg to see if it is holding pressure so I carbed it up and forgot about it. Fast forward to today. I tapped it because I only had cider left, and I have to say it is a fair beer. All that is left is some esters from the yeast which is quite nice against the clean backdrop, the hops have came and gone I would say except for some dankness that is slight but offsets the fruity esters and balances it well. My wife loves it, I think it is a step down but drinkable.

So I have another usable keg it seems, now to add another tap and keep the pipeline going.

• Like 4

Second taste test of the ipa that wasn’t so fermented out. Not as bad as yesterday, maybe it was the first pour, I’m not sure. After tasting tonight, it’s drinkable just not at its best, wife will probably like it due to having some sweetness to it. 

• Like 2