Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I think it was simcoe that people were getting cat pee from rather than Citra. I've used both and didn't get it though.

My wife gets strong cat pee from citra and a little from mosaic, I can some times but mostly no. I just did a nice dry hop with simcoe so we will see. If she gets cat pee from it I will be happy because that usually means a strong citrus character for my tastes and smells!😁

52 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Nice one! What are you getting from the Wakatu? I have used it but used a really strong hop with it so unsure of what it brought to the table, I either got strong citrus from it or the azacca.

Hard to really say against the saison yeast - 'spicy/floral' I guess but how much of that is influenced by the M29 I don't know.  I like the combo though.   I intend to brew a single hop PA with wakatu sometime soon.    

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 12:20 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

There’s a couple, Busselton, and two in Bunbury, big gals is better in Bunbury, the other in a pool table store

If we all could live in Busselton and go for a swim in good clean saltwater chased by the Great Whites around the Jetty ?!?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

My wife gets strong cat pee from citra and a little from mosaic, I can some times but mostly no. I just did a nice dry hop with simcoe so we will see. If she gets cat pee from it I will be happy because that usually means a strong citrus character for my tastes and smells!😁

Interesting! I clean out at least one of my 2 cats litter trays every morning and have never had a hoppy beer that smells like that. And I've tried quite a few with Simcoe, Mosaic, Citra etc. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

First try of my AG raspberry wheat beer. About 2 weeks in the bottle, tastes amazing. Bottled 10l as is and 10l went into secondary with 1kg of raspberries. Doesn't show it in the photo but it's a pink looking brew. Mrs is very happy with the end product. 

image-0-02-07-95ea11720602bb0d80843d7c69f694ff9d4e1c13b1aab171068f8c0a3efd5ca0-V.jpg

Did you just open the packet and tip them sraight in? I'm looking at doing something like that with my stout but
Wasn't sure about dumping them straight in.

BTW, that beer looks great.

Cheers,
Hoppy

7 hours ago, Norris! said:

Well the phenomenon is quite normal and has been noted by many others.

I found it very interesting and keep that in mind when suggesting hops. Everyone has a different taste and smells and while I might get citrus from something others will get cat pee.

http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/waiter-theres-cat-pee-in-my-beer/

Must be a very subtle, faintly reminiscent aroma then. Otherwise it would have to be undrinkable! Unless my cats are just unusually potent lol.

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

Must be a very subtle, faintly reminiscent aroma then. Otherwise it would have to be undrinkable! Unless my cats are just unusually potent lol.

Have you ever heard of people who hate asparagus due to the aroma? It is the same thing, not everyone gets it or notices it. I hardly notice it but can on occasions. At the end of the day if you dont smell cat piss from citra or other hops, great, but it is a phenomenon that has been known to happen.  Take a moment and Google about cat pee aroma and hops and you will find a ton of information about the mechanisms causing it, the chemicals of the hops, and how SOME people recognize it. Yes it does make it undrinkable for those that pick it up, but for others they get a strong citrus aroma.

I am sure it is the internet but it sure seems like you dont believe me John? Am I picking that up correctly?

Norris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Norris! said:

I am sure it is the internet but it sure seems like you dont believe me John? Am I picking that up correctly?

Haha no not at all, I'd believe people taste all sorts of things... It's intensely individual. I've just never experienced it and I am intimately familiar with the smell of cat pee!

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Haha no not at all, I'd believe people taste all sorts of things... It's intensely individual. I've just never experienced it and I am intimately familiar with the smell of cat pee!

Cheers, 

John 

I have had it with the first time I used Simcoe. It was subtle but definitely there. I still drank it but that's because I'm a little kinky.

It put me off Simcoe for a while. I have used it since and never encountered it.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, John304 said:

Have a German Hefeweizen in the fermenter atm,never brewed a wheat before, looking forward try this one. Looks like it will be a light,missed my og by a mile due to my equipment, bring on the 40ltr urn

Good luck with your Weissbier!  What Yeast did you end up going with?

My Hefeweizen turned into Weizenbock with a few extra kilos of LDME... is recent in the bottle but tasting good.  But is only an extract brew...  not AG excellence like yours ; )

Good mouthfeel and great head retention... used liquid malts... seems dry malts don't generate such good mouthfeel and head retention... 

image.png.546cfd335f01b2c688356f2865320abd.png

• Like 3

On 2/2/2019 at 2:45 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Well belle and 3724 was like a half way type saison. 3724 is funky and belle less so. Was a good blend. Be134 is toward 3724 so im expecting a little more funkyness. I just mixed them because they have been in the fridge for about a month and couldn't be bothered making another starter. See how it turns out.

Greeny - using stored yeasts from previous brews - do you just add a certain amount directly to the ready Wort or do you fire them up beforehand with a bit of dex or malt or other?  I have a nice bottle of WB06 in the fridge for the future and am wondering how I would pitch in best way possible - and could I use WB06 in a Barley Malt based brew?

23 hours ago, Hairy said:

The still never ending keg...

Hairy can you store kegs for long periods of time in cold room/fridge as long as they are just well gassed up?  [am only a basic Bottler at this stage in my brewing development]

44 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Greeny - using stored yeasts from previous brews - do you just add a certain amount directly to the ready Wort or do you fire them up beforehand with a bit of dex or malt or other?  I have a nice bottle of WB06 in the fridge for the future and am wondering how I would pitch in best way possible - and could I use WB06 in a Barley Malt based brew?

Hey mate. Yeah i often just keep slurry and use it in brews. Usually with lagers only as i just pitch the whole lot. Ales are a little bit different and i get somewhat scientific when pitching ale slurry. I use a calculator and pitch on the basis of 1.5bn cells per Ml. So for a 1045 OG 21 L batch i would pitch about 140ml of compacted slurry. I will do this without fear up to about a month old then i get nervous aboyt viability and fire it up again in another starter. 

Saying that the best results i have got with WB06 is a slight underpitch and a temp of around 24c so i encourage you to experiment.

I wouldn't use WB06 in a barley only batch. Its meant for wheats.

• Like 1