Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

6 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Oh my!

I can agree but people please give a go. I don’t really dig massive sours but can appreciate a great Saison.

i actually turned 6 people that “hated” saison with one bottle of Fantome beirre de Saison. 

Agreed, give it a go, even just trying a commercial version first. I've tried them, even tried to like them, but they're just not my thing. Having said that, Ben's one was pretty nice. 

On 1/29/2019 at 9:05 PM, Beer Baron said:

What was your recipe Ben?? 

Mine is a bit malty sweet. 

Yep mine was too at 1.050 OG, 25 IBU, hence my resolution to go for at least 30 IBU if I re-brew. What was yours like in terms of OG, FG and est IBU? 

Edited by porschemad911

Drinking a tropical ale I made called Stepping to the AM, it is nice and clean with good aroma of tropical fruit, pear, and some mango. Next batch I will drop the pilsner malt for 2 row or just light extract.

20190201_173807.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 6

My NEIPA 

only in the bottle just over a week but had to crack one as bottles were pretty firm

it doesn’t have the colour granted of an Neipa but that’s due to the coopers APA being used. Gash Sluggs version looks the same. However the taste is so fruity and juicy. No hint of alcohol despite it coming in at 6.7%

stoked with the result

15D3E939-DC04-4682-8206-D2AAEC189ABC.jpeg

• Like 12

Good stuff Paddy,

Next time you do one , I'd suggest using something along the lines of London 3 or similar as to get the biotransformation during the dry hop. It'll change that beer but hopefully for the better.

It looks like a great beer mate. Nice White head too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I sampled one of my Aramis / Bravo saisons this evening while brewing. It has been in the bottle maybe a month, and is really nice. The only negative is a whiff of sulfur on first pouring, but this quickly dissipates. The Aramis / Bravo combo is a good one, I get lots of tangelo, but more complex, with grapefruit and herbal highlights. I like the hopping rate too. Could maybe back off a little and still get away with it, but it is really nice as is. The lovely 3726 yeast character comes through, and combines with the hops. All in all, a very satisfying sub 5% ABV beer.

Cheers,

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Good stuff Paddy,

Next time you do one , I'd suggest using something along the lines of London 3 or similar as to get the biotransformation during the dry hop. It'll change that beer but hopefully for the better.

It looks like a great beer mate. Nice White head too.

Cheers mate. Always keen to take good advice on board and learn 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hairy said:

With Sorachi Ace 😉

I made an ale with sorachi ace and I could pick up the strong lemon/lime thing but I also picked up the dill aroma and flavour too. Others pick up cat piss from Citra and some other hops, Mosaic maybe, which turns them off of it, I kind of got the same with sorachi ace, but I am willing to revisit it.

I was thinking something like sorachi ace but I was going to use some other super fruity hop, not galaxy though I have retired galaxy for about 6 months due to me having too many brews with it. It is boring now....yeah I am a wanker. I was tossing up centennial, because it is one if my favorites, or maybe mandarina bavaria to get that really strong citrus thing going without the dill flavour.  I might even do a blend but try to keep the hop combo from getting to danky.  I dont know but I am guessing that depending on the yeast I will get enough dank and I should maybe use the hops to bring out some nice fresh aromas and flavours to offset the dankness?

I've done two saisons. One with Nelson, recipe courtesy of @Ben 10. It was fantastic. One I have bottled and sampled once is a Citra saison and it works well. I have more Nelson so will do another soon so I can compare side-by-side with the Citra one.

Have had a commercial saison brewed with Sorachi Ace and it was very good. Good suggestion @Hairy

• Thanks 1

Well belle and 3724 was like a half way type saison. 3724 is funky and belle less so. Was a good blend. Be134 is toward 3724 so im expecting a little more funkyness. I just mixed them because they have been in the fridge for about a month and couldn't be bothered making another starter. See how it turns out.

• Thanks 1

@Norris! maybe my funkometer is way out but I didn't find belle THAT funky. An bf it was pitched at 26.9C and let free rise to 32! The saison I did a year ago with M29 I held at 18 for three days and then ramped it up 2C every 12 hrs until it hit 32C. Tasted just as gunky as Belle. I like belle, it's cheap and like everyone says, a beast!

• Thanks 1

Woohoo here we go - Hefeweizen II for me... but really a Weizenbock #1... has turned out quite well.  Pitched SafeAle WB06 not Coopers Yeast - and at 27 deg C.

Ferment temp was what was in the Larder and ranged between 24-26 deg C.  Bottle secondary ferment same. Only in the bottle with approx two weeks, but this beer needs flashing lights and sirens as it is saying look out... I am coming through!  Not really a session beer... spready says ABV forecast around 7.7% but is as they say in German süffig. - quaffable - and as an all malt product is not a bad result in the big scheme of things.   Thanks all of you who provided input in WB discussions and associated Yeast discussions.   I do believe I can pick up some clove - but not too many bananas - but I am thinking that Franz does not do too many bananas either 😝   Go you good Wheat Thing!!!

ExhibitA.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Wakatu Dry-Hopped Saison

Very happy with this one  😛

WakatuSaison-1.jpg

Nice one! What are you getting from the Wakatu? I have used it but used a really strong hop with it so unsure of what it brought to the table, I either got strong citrus from it or the azacca.

• Like 1