Jump to content
Titan

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Recommended Posts

Well the keg was empty when I went to pour one earlier, so I moved the fridge into the bar as per the brewing setup thread. Now I have no beer on tap, but there is a pilsner lagering that should be ready to keg in about 10 days time. Planning a brew day for Monday since the Mrs will be back at work and I haven't got time until tomorrow to make up a recipe. 

Will source a second fridge soon and make a couple of hams in it before it becomes the second fermentation fridge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.9561bd9e626cd14023a712bc9fc5adab.png

The BBA (Bizarre Brown Ale - all malt - but using extracts)... this time with a 'dash of Sars' learned from some old hands years ago in a country pub...

Tis a nice refresher in the warmer evening temps and an interesting twist on the routine. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracked one of the Coopers ROTM I bottled just before xmas. The Downhill IPA.  Tastes more like a Belgian blonde than an IPA but it’s really good. Pacific gem hops, no dry hop and a lot of malt. One of the good ones 

8EE373E6-BD8B-4BB6-8554-16A15409FB5B.jpeg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Will source a second fridge soon and make a couple of hams in it before it becomes the second fermentation fridge.

... so is the soaking in brine/sugar prior to smoking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

... so is the soaking in brine/sugar prior to smoking?

Yeah, I cure them in a brine for about two weeks, then boil them for about 5-10 minutes and smoke until they reach about 65 degrees internally. I use pork leg roasts to make hams, and loin roasts to make bacon. The bacon isn't cured as long due to being a smaller cut of meat, and instead of boiling they just get rinsed off in water and left uncovered in the fridge overnight before smoking. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still knocking back my AG IPA, great drop but may up the hops next time round.

 

20181231_180933.thumb.jpg.40516e75aae262758a97ed3445575138.jpg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Vienna Lager after a week in the keg. It’s not very clear which was expected because I forgot about kettle finings and gelatin in the fermenter. 

Carbonation is good but head retention is very average. 

I plan to lager for 1-2 months but take a sample every couple of weeks for research purposes

5B822BA7-CFAD-4018-B569-2272F0CFA17D.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LHBS FWK. It’s crap and reminds me of Great Northern but it’s beeer and it’s pretty much all I have

F0714A05-5449-4823-98FF-F42ECC035A3E.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, I cure them in a brine for about two weeks, then boil them for about 5-10 minutes and smoke until they reach about 65 degrees internally. I use pork leg roasts to make hams, and loin roasts to make bacon. The bacon isn't cured as long due to being a smaller cut of meat, and instead of boiling they just get rinsed off in water and left uncovered in the fridge overnight before smoking. 

Gold!  Thanks OVB!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Carbonation is good but head retention is very average. 

I plan to lager for 1-2 months but take a sample every couple of weeks for research purposes

 

Would be very interested to see what you find Baron - I did not have good head retention on my All Malt (but dry extract) Bizarre Brown (a bit like an Altbier) but in the bottle a bit longer it seemed to be a bit better regards head retention... dunno whether I am dreamin' or the glasses were better or what... seriously I am thinking it was slightly better with a few more weeks.  Is that plausible?  Otherwise next time I am just going to add some freshly rolled oats or milled wheat malt to improve heat retention...  

Happy to have any feedback from the experts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Still knocking back my AG IPA, great drop but may up the hops next time round.

 

20181231_180933.thumb.jpg.40516e75aae262758a97ed3445575138.jpg

Such a cool photo and great glass!  And some lovely tomatoes coming on too by the looks!!! 😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, I cure them in a brine for about two weeks, then boil them for about 5-10 minutes and smoke until they reach about 65 degrees internally. I use pork leg roasts to make hams, and loin roasts to make bacon. The bacon isn't cured as long due to being a smaller cut of meat, and instead of boiling they just get rinsed off in water and left uncovered in the fridge overnight before smoking. 

So what sort of Tonnes of salt per megalitre of water are we talking... grams per Litre is all good too ; )

Just normal old table salt NaCl in the main?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So what sort of Tonnes of salt per megalitre of water are we talking... grams per Litre is all good too ; )

Just normal old table salt NaCl in the main?

I don't usually use a ratio to water, just enough salt to cure the meat properly then top up the pot with enough water that the meat can be fully submerged without spilling the brine out the top. 

My basic curing brine is based on a 2kg piece of loin:

350g salt (non iodised), 225g sugar (I like dark brown sugar for some reason), and 42g curing salt #1. Then I simply divide the actual weight of the meat I'm curing by 2 to get the percentage to work out the salt/sugar amounts to suit it.

Mix/dissolve it in a pot then boil it. Once cooled it goes into the fridge and the meat goes in the next day.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Would be very interested to see what you find Baron - I did not have good head retention on my All Malt (but dry extract) Bizarre Brown (a bit like an Altbier) but in the bottle a bit longer it seemed to be a bit better regards head retention... dunno whether I am dreamin' or the glasses were better or what... seriously I am thinking it was slightly better with a few more weeks.  Is that plausible?  Otherwise next time I am just going to add some freshly rolled oats or milled wheat malt to improve heat retention...  

Happy to have any feedback from the experts...

I usually find that once my beer is kegged and at the carb level that I want, the head retention won’t change no matter how long I leave it but hopefully I’ll be wrong this time

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Such a cool photo and great glass!  And some lovely tomatoes coming on too by the looks!!! 😝

Cheers mate, i like to get at least 1 decent photo from each brew with a decent glass. Tomatoes have been going really really well this year.

Cheers,
Hoppy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Mix/dissolve it in a pot then boil it. Once cooled it goes into the fridge and the meat goes in the next day.

Gold.  Another adventure to look forward in the spiral down the rabbit hole!  Thanks OVB!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speedy Gonzales Lager it’s a nice drop out of the keg 👍

 

699F8DD9-2674-405D-B3A7-DAFE60284670.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

@Mark D Pirate

How did the smurtos golden with Kveik turn out?

Came out quite well,  this yeast plays well with rye. 

First keg gone already and second getting low 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Came out quite well,  this yeast plays well with rye. 

First keg gone already and second getting low 

Sweet. 

I wish more people would come round and drink my beer, so I can brew more. It was much easier to just give it away when I bottled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I wish more people would come round and drink my beer, so I can brew more. 

I’ll be around in 10!!! 

Where do you live again??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I’ll be around in 10!!! 

Where do you live again??

West aust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

My Vienna Lager after a week in the keg. It’s not very clear which was expected because I forgot about kettle finings and gelatin in the fermenter. Carbonation is good but head retention is very average. I plan to lager for 1-2 months but take a sample every couple of weeks for research purposes

Was it an AG recipe - keen to learn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...