Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

5 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Turns out it was one of my Steam Ales. Two had exploded and left quite a mess. I decided to tip the rest of the bottles down the sink. The first couple were pretty tame, a little foaming but thats about it, the third bottle i opened however exploded in my hands, not the glass, but as soon as touched bottle opener to cap it shot off like a gun! After that i put on some goggles and gloves and tipped the rest.

Fair call. Nice safety by the way. It might of worked out but I definitely think you made the right call. Beer is not worth an eye or a finger. Even better that it solves the issue, didn't ferment out all the way, for the cloudiness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Pacific Saison

Not much to say about this one really...  tastes like a Saison....

PacificSaison-1.jpg

While I know the rest of us won't get close, do you have any tips for photographing beer? How much of it is in the composing vs post-processing in Lightroom?

Any tips appreciated!

19 hours ago, Silmaril said:

While I know the rest of us won't get close, do you have any tips for photographing beer? How much of it is in the composing vs post-processing in Lightroom?

Any tips appreciated!

A comprehensive set of photography tips is probably a way off-topic and would certainly take quite a while!  Suffice to say though photography has always required a combination of both camera and darkroom expertise to achieve optimal results.  These days of course both the camera and 'darkroom' are digital.  I spend an equal amount of time on both aspects.  While most cameras/phones when shooting JPG's do a certain level of internal image post-processing I prefer full control and hence I always shoot RAW with a DSLR and process to my taste in software.   😎

• Like 2

We want to get a decent camera like that, not for beer but just taking pictures when we go on bushwalks and whatnot. If/when we do I'll probably use it for beer anyway 😜

I have found that the camera on this phone takes better photos than the one on my old phone but still nowhere near as good as a proper camera.

After enduring a body destroying 20 hours in a plane i got to my hotel in New Jersey and have found a beautiful liquor store within 300m of my hotel. Craft city!!! Bought a six pack of this double IPA. 8.2% and 10.99 a six pack. Obviously less taxes than Australia. This one is from Lakewood NY. This is an awesome beer. Balance is perfect for the ABV

15503739937382004086592.jpg

• Like 10

Trying my lager again, tasting really nice now. Head retention still sucks but I'm starting to think it might be from the glasses. They currently get washed in the dishwasher and I suspect the rinsing isn't quite doing the job because the head retention on the English ale is crap too. Next lot that goes in I'll do a triple or quadruple hot water rinse when they come out and drain them, and see if the retention is any better. 

Unfortunately I've run out of perc, but couldn't really afford another 25kg sack when I went to CB on Friday. I bought a sack of Barrett Burston ale malt as well because it is $20 cheaper than Gladfield. I'll grab more next trip there though, possibly the week after next. 

On 3 February 2019 at 4:17 PM, Norris! said:

Have you ever heard of people who hate asparagus due to the aroma? It is the same thing, not everyone gets it or notices it. I hardly notice it but can on occasions. At the end of the day if you dont smell cat piss from citra or other hops, great, but it is a phenomenon that has been known to happen.  Take a moment and Google about cat pee aroma and hops and you will find a ton of information about the mechanisms causing it, the chemicals of the hops, and how SOME people recognize it. Yes it does make it undrinkable for those that pick it up, but for others they get a strong citrus aroma.

I am sure it is the internet but it sure seems like you dont believe me John? Am I picking that up correctly?

Norris

Beersmith did a really interesting podcast on this. It's the way your DNA is wired.  If you don't like cabbage and those type of vegetables chances are you will not like citra and get the cat pee smell

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

I bet you will find the Gladfield malt tastes at least $20 better though. It's good stuff!

Definitely like it and it will be a regular, just on this occasion decided it was better to save $20. I normally get Gladfield or Maris otter for about $60-63 in bulk buys rather than the $80 retail price.

On topic, I tried one of my Enigma Amber Saison. Somehow it has a beautiful pineapple aroma. Tastes great too. I'm finding it a little hard at the moment to enjoy beers fermented with a neutral yeast after all these lovely saisons of mine and some of the Belgians I've been buying. It's just an added dimension that I'm finding really enjoyable. I reckon I am going to get some Wyeast 9097 (and he bleach) and make some nice English beers. 

Cheers, 

John

• Like 1

That's the Bewitched Amber, yes ?  

I am running two 5 gallon fermenters side by side and have been drinking a Citra Summer Ale and a Brew A.  It's quite a contrast, world's apart.

The Citra is a Cerveza base and its delicious, really easy to drink and really hard to leave alone, the perfect Summer Ale.  

The Brew A is a heavier, much more serious beer that is quite dark as it was an old can and I only brewed it to 18 liters with a fresh Nottingham yeast.  Its malty and toffee and it is only going get better in the coming weeks.  I bottled the Brew A into 500ml bottles so I can sample a pint every now and then without exhausting my stock,  It is definitely a take your time after dinner kind of beer (that seems to get better as it warms up)  whereas the Citra is an afternoon shady tree on a hot Summer's day, the chillier the better.  

And that's how I have been drinking them : The Citra when I get home from work to wet my whistle and the Brew A after dinner - and its a joyous thing.  I just love having an abundance of beer.

I didn't muck about.  I loaded Fermenter 1 up with a Dark Ale based Dry Stout for Paddy's day and Fermenter 2 is waiting for me to get may act together with the 1978 Ale.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

That's the Bewitched Amber, yes ?  

I am running two 5 gallon fermenters side by side and have been drinking a Citra Summer Ale and a Brew A.  It's quite a contrast, world's apart.

The Citra is a Cerveza base and its delicious, really easy to drink and really hard to leave alone, the perfect Summer Ale.  

The Brew A is a heavier, much more serious beer that is quite dark as it was an old can and I only brewed it to 18 liters with a fresh Nottingham yeast.  Its malty and toffee and it is only going get better in the coming weeks.  I bottled the Brew A into 500ml bottles so I can sample a pint every now and then without exhausting my stock,  It is definitely a take your time after dinner kind of beer (that seems to get better as it warms up)  whereas the Citra is an afternoon shady tree on a hot Summer's day, the chillier the better.  

And that's how I have been drinking them : The Citra when I get home from work to wet my whistle and the Brew A after dinner - and its a joyous thing.  I just love having an abundance of beer.

I didn't muck about.  I loaded Fermenter 1 up with a Dark Ale based Dry Stout for Paddy's day and Fermenter 2 is waiting for me to get may act together with the 1978 Ale.

Yes my one was the Bewitched Amber Ale. 12 days in the FV then left to age/carbonate for 4 weeks.

I have since got the 23L fermenter and my lager is currently cold crashing before being bottled. My next brew will probably be an IPA/Pale ale of some sort... Not sure what yet.

• Like 2