Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

7 minutes ago, Titan said:

You cant get any better colour than that. For a first brew, excellent result. Watch out for the lager though you may be disapointed.

Thanks man! I am hoping the lager is nice... Brewed with BE2 and W30-70 yeast at 12C. Then did a diacetyl rest and now cold crashing so fingers crossed it is nice.

My next brew I'll certainly be playing around with some added hops etc.

So a few posts ago on this thread I mentioned that my wife was getting into the latest version of a red rye. I got hone tonight and poored myself a beer........ hmmm that’s not red or even close to it...... doesn’t tastes like Denny’s favourite yeast......think I’ll just check the kegs.....

Turns out I never hooked up the red rye, my wife has been getting into the Uber hopped pale/ipa that has been on tap for a while.

When I first poured it I was like yeah hun, not sure your going to like this, so yeah she agreed. Thinking the one she poured was a different beer, she poured the Uber hopped pale/ipa and was like, yeah captain, really good beer.

seen as I hadent seen the red in the glass I asked her if it was ice and red and dark? Her response was, not sure about red but it’s dark. 

The picture shows both beers. Clearly a difference?

In my wife’s defence, I love my wife and she is an amazing women, beer descriptions aren’t her thing. 

My best compliment from her is if she’ll go back for a second or not.

306DED7E-3661-4264-841B-BE32E39E5C7A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

I tried one of my 330ml bottles of English IPA. This was a partial mash batch with tons of EKG crammed in. 8% abv, big bitterness, hop flavour and hop aroma.

My beers all seem to be very pleasant to drink, enjoyable even. I wanted to make something a little more challenging to the palate with this batch. It is closer to achieving that, but I still really enjoyed it. I like the really solid, lingering bitterness and intensity of the hops. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 3

I just had a glass of the Mercenary Pale Ale from all in brewery with the addition of 12.5g of simcoe and Amarillo kegged hopped, for 25g total. It is a clean tasting beer somewhere between a great northen and a stone and wood tropical ale without galaxy. Nice but I like a little more bite, but as a quick keg filler it is perfect, spent like 30 minutes on it all up including hydrometer readings and cleaning up afterwards mixing the water and yeast in. As any brewer would I prefer my own but man this was well worth it for I think under $45 and I got to spend the day with the family, definitely a win.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 5

Rock and rolled the English bitter for a while just to get a half drinkable beer. Worked quite well and got this with first pour. Cant taste the smoked malt and not sure what the rolled oats brought to the table. Tastes like a partial though descent none the less. Hoping it will clear up over the next week. 

20190221_184605.jpg

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Titan said:

...and not sure what the rolled oats brought to the table.

I can see what it brought to the table in the pic. Looks like a lovely, creamy head atop the beer. 😎

With some ageing this aspect will improve the mouthfeel of the beer further.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

So this is a beer made with my brother, which was inspired by Pirate life pale ale. 

Pulled back the bitterness and upd the flavour hops.

Such a good beer and going to say that this recipe needs no changing. 

51139A3B-051F-48DA-83CC-A6AC2A2F7772.jpeg

Capt. very nice looking beverage right there.  (*thinks ,  mmm... hurry up technology, we need the intraweb tasting add-on,  or  an Aromaweb app ) 😉

light humour aside,  nothing to report here and needing to find time to get some activity in the brew shed happing. been hot in SA, then extra days/hours at work ..ffs 

Going to keep at extract atm,  focus on repeatability cause 75% of my attempts have been well drinkable from the kegs and 25% (same beers) good from the bottle.

Quite glad I kegged up from the start tbh otherwise would probally not have persevered,   All BOOMO - (based only on my opinion)

regards  

Guvna

• Like 2

Special beer for a special day,

IMG_20190221_205925.thumb.jpg.2342995d7cd04bb10b2774d2e4b2ece4.jpg

The last tallie from my Coopers Toucan Stout, 5 months in glass with one carb drop. Standard recipe with reactivated CCA yeast. 

Been saving this one for today. 

Today I'm celebrating 2 years of being GAMBLE FREE. I was a compulsive gambler (pokies) for 17 years, since I was 18. 

Life has definitely changed for the better...... no time for that crap now, too many different beers to brew 😉

Cheers everyone, this forum has been a big part of my recovery for the last 12 months or so. Thanks.

Cheers, Lee

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, #granted+brew said:

The last tallie from my Coopers Toucan Stout, 5 months in glass with one carb drop. Standard recipe with reactivated CCA yeast

Great job Lee.

I did a RIS (Stout, Lager, Dark Ale) and bottled it 20 days ago.  Seeing you photo - I WANT ONE NOW!

• Thanks 1

Nice one Lee! And glad to hear the beer has turned out well too.

I used to play the one armed bandits a bit, sometimes went overboard. It never became a problem and I haven't been on them for ages since we hardly ever go out drinking anymore, but I'm glad to be spending money on better things anyway. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its 12 o'clock somewhere..

IMG_20190223_101521.thumb.jpg.79ee4c03a98993ded58839a766e17682.jpg

My second attempt at an IPA, tasting very nice. 29 days in the bottle and very drinkable at 6.25%. Recipe is in the brew day thread. 

I'll have to put another couple of these batches down again soon, might try a different yeast or perhaps try the CCA yeast again like in my first attempt.

Cheers, Lee

• Like 5

And look what I found (by accident) at the back of the press.  A toucan stout that has been ageing almost a year and I thought I had drank them all. I must admit I’ve been a bit of a critic of the toucan stout but not anymore.  Ageing and patience is required. 

BF3F5649-6BD3-4DFC-88F4-E94B28E14AD5.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

And look what I found (by accident) at the back of the press.  A toucan stout that has been ageing almost a year and I thought I had drank them all. I must admit I’ve been a bit of a critic of the toucan stout but not anymore.  Ageing and patience is required. 

BF3F5649-6BD3-4DFC-88F4-E94B28E14AD5.jpeg

Don't you just love finding them surprises 

• Haha 1