Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

21 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

Brewferm Gallia made with wheat DME instead of sugar. Gelatine as Fining. I like this brew a lot. 

A bottle of Hefeweizen in the background. Turned out OK. 

Apologies for the typo kleine Drache…

If your beer is half as good as your brew labels are they will be spending  splendid drinking!!!

think you got the gist of things ; )

• Like 1

Tried a pint of the FWH Cascade ale tonight. It was pretty much what I expected. Nicely balanced, a little citrus aroma and flavour but nothing like you'd get from loading up the late and dry hops. Nice malt flavour. Very clear. 

I probably won't do it again, at least not with APA style beers. It would probably work well for English bitters though, and probably lagers as well. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Tried a pint of the FWH Cascade ale tonight. It was pretty much what I expected. Nicely balanced, a little citrus aroma and flavour but nothing like you'd get from loading up the late and dry hops. Nice malt flavour. Very clear. 

I probably won't do it again, at least not with APA style beers. It would probably work well for English bitters though, and probably lagers as well. 

Thanks for the share Kelsey and for doing what I’ve wanted to do for some time. 

Tip top sunshine!🤘🏻

• Like 1

So this is the first version of a new pale I’m working on. 

After I replaced all of the gas lines today and all the fittings I’ve put this one to see if she was ok. Turns out it’s a only a little undercarbed meaning the leak I had must have been very small. 

I will give some tasting notes when it’s fully carbed but it’s looking promising. Just a slight coffee which is exactly what I was going for

03823993-1780-45A0-8EFC-0D1F3DF2B9ED.jpeg

Edited by The Captain!!
Cause I’m a muppet and forgot to load the picture
  • Like 3

My version of the K9 Quencher. Not sure it's a session ale...

IMG_20190624_185551.thumb.jpg.92c988e5b873b95bd67d292b32fd12a8.jpg

Caramel is pretty prominent - and I even subbed the caramel rye for normal rye. The hops are still there, but the sweet hints are really shouting.

This was a partial and is a lot heavier on taste than I expected from the 86 Pils + Wheat LME cans used and 24L batch.
It's not too disimilar to the Pavlova Pale for sweetness and that had a heap of unfermentables in it!

Still, I think the recipe has some potential - I'm just looking for a brighter flavour. Maybe sub the Caramel hell out for more rye or wheat. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Enjoying a couple of my MOTB entry beer from the keg. I drink a couple of neutral commercial beers when I get home from work, then enjoy a couple of these & assess their taste. Drinking the neutral beer first gives my palate a good platform to assess my MOTB beer against.

It's getting better & better with ageing. It's not likely to win anything, but I'm really happy with it, as I think it's an interesting beer for the category I've entered it in.

Paid for, & received my entry label the other day. I must confess, I am fascinated to see what beer wins with what Coopers are aiming for, & to be able to buy it commercially & sample it down the track. 😎

Good luck to all the entrants.

Lusty.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

So this is the first version of a new pale I’m working on. 

After I replaced all of the gas lines today and all the fittings I’ve put this one to see if she was ok. Turns out it’s a only a little undercarbed meaning the leak I had must have been very small. 

I will give some tasting notes when it’s fully carbed but it’s looking promising. Just a slight coffee which is exactly what I was going for

03823993-1780-45A0-8EFC-0D1F3DF2B9ED.jpeg

I really have to get one of those glasses!!

10 hours ago, elLachlano said:

My version of the K9 Quencher. Not sure it's a session ale...

IMG_20190624_185551.thumb.jpg.92c988e5b873b95bd67d292b32fd12a8.jpg

Caramel is pretty prominent - and I even subbed the caramel rye for normal rye. The hops are still there, but the sweet hints are really shouting.

This was a partial and is a lot heavier on taste than I expected from the 86 Pils + Wheat LME cans used and 24L batch.
It's not too disimilar to the Pavlova Pale for sweetness and that had a heap of unfermentables in it!

Still, I think the recipe has some potential - I'm just looking for a brighter flavour. Maybe sub the Caramel hell out for more rye or wheat. 🤷‍♂️

That's interesting, the recipe on paper doesn't look like it would make an overly sweet beer. 

By the way, extract and steeping spec grains isn't a partial. A partial replaces the extract tin with a proper mash of base malts along with the spec grains. 😎

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

I have a few glasses from Craftd. Excellent glasses and great service.

The only reason I prefer the Spiegelau is because of the unnecessary stripe and branding on the Craftd ones. Just looks terrible and is enough to put me off ever buying them.

From memory Spiegelau do stamp their logo as well but it's much more subtle.

My favourites are a couple of pilsner tulips I got in a Czech crystal shop. Much tougher than the Spiegelau ones. I even let my in-laws with the hands of death for glasses wash those. My first set was $30 for 2 then I got a second set at $7 for 2 in their unfortunate closing down sale. 

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911

9 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...I’m not too keen on the poor spelling though.

If your friends didn't think you were a drunk before, nothing like drinking out of some misspelled branded glasses to sway them back in that direction. 😉

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

By the way, extract and steeping spec grains isn't a partial. A partial replaces the extract tin with a proper mash of base malts along with the spec grains. 😎

Thanks Otto - but since I used plain ol Rye I did a 60m mini mash + can = partial (at least in my book)

This is from my spreadsheet: 150g Caramel Hell + 150g Rye (60m Mash | Strike 74c | Entry 71c | Exit 60.3c | Boil 30m)

There is a little there, probably a little more aroma though. I can definitely detect a citrus aroma although it's not as strong as it is with my usual pale ale hopping schedule. 

I feel like this kind of technique would work with some styles. I think English bitter being a style that doesn't have a high hop flavour or aroma, and probably some of the traditional European lager styles as well. Obviously not ideal for hop forward beers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Obviously not ideal for hop forward beers.

FWH'ing is not some miracle hop process that all other hopping approaches should be discarded. What it does do is allow for a more gentle release of the aromatic compounds that have a chance to infuse before the volatile situation of the boil where the aromatic compounds are blown off & isomerized at increased levels where little of these flavour & aromatic compounds can remain after a long boil.

You full AG'ers are somewhat bound by your processes & time-frames with FWH'ing during the boil. Extract based brewers like myself are not, thus I can short boil FWH to make sure I further retain more of these aromatic & flavour compounds than you guys can being somewhat restricted to 60min+ boil times.

Regardless of boil times, the process will leave more residual hop character (for a longer period) in the beer than just a straight forward 60/90 min boil addition will (IMHO).

I've recently made a FWH Pale Ale beer that used a single hop FWH addition, & nothing else in the boil. It was dry hopped well though. As a fresh beer it drinks really well & given the amount of hops used to make it, I felt it was way more cost effective against very hop heavy beers that were on a similar taste level.

Is the process worthwhile or necessary in all types of beer, err,..... NO.

Just my 10 cents, 😜

Lusty.

• Like 1