Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

The last sample from yesterday's visit to First Choice. I'm not the biggest fan of NEIPAs but this isn't bad. Nice texture but it smells fruitier than it is. Bitter but not overbearing. Quite drinkable, although not my fave. 

IMG_6306.thumb.jpg.91f2b6c1d89656d5ceb180aa0bf24070.jpg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Rate the Balter XPA, very nice 👍

‘Wouldn’t give you 5 cents for the other b#stard.

Just my opinion. 

8F5A3B64-63A8-47E5-908D-006CC561EFCE.jpeg

I’m the other way round....had an xpa the other night that someone left in me fridge. Ended up tipping the last quarter of the can. 

the NS pale is usually fairly decent...although i havnt had it in a while as I normally go for their IPA which is great 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

Saison Dupont - The one and only

I have been wanting to try one of these since, maybe it was @The Captain!!, pointed them out.  I got a mixed slab from a supplier in Sydney, who felt sorry for us Victorians heading into lockdown a few weeks ago, and advertised free delivery.

Aroma:

• Slight fruitiness
  • Bit like stewed plums
  • Maybe rock melon

Flavour:

• Good bitterness
  • Robust taste, not what I expected when others call it funky
  • Smooth creamy mouthfeel
  • Fine, thin, but lingering head

This is a great beer.  Most definitely not for the mega-swill drinkers.  6.5% ABV but so easy to drink.

IMG_1856.JPG.26357f3089d22d6bba3ef6a2a1428c7b.JPG

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Saison Dupont - The one and only

I have been wanting to try one of these since, maybe it was @The Captain!!, pointed them out.  I got a mixed slab from a supplier in Sydney, who felt sorry for us Victorians heading into lockdown a few weeks ago, and advertised free delivery.

Aroma:

• Slight fruitiness
  • Bit like stewed plums
  • Maybe rock melon

Flavour:

• Good bitterness
  • Robust taste, not what I expected when others call it funky
  • Smooth creamy mouthfeel
  • Fine, thin, but lingering head

This is a great beer.  Most definitely not for the mega-swill drinkers.  6.5% ABV but so easy to drink.

IMG_1856.JPG.26357f3089d22d6bba3ef6a2a1428c7b.JPG

Good descriptors there Shamus. 
It truely is a beer that can define a style. I don’t find it as funky as some of the other saisons around but I think that’s what makes this one all that more enjoyable. 

I treat myself to a bottle every couple of months now I’ve found a place that stocks it fairly locally.
I still want to be able to replicate this one at a more favourable ABV.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I still want to be able to replicate this one at a more favourable ABV. 

I especially liked the smooth mouthfeel of the Saison Dupont.  I might have to do a bit of research to find out how they get it.  The ABV did wash into me by the time the glass was empty.  Half a dozen of these would put a horse to sleep.

I have only done a couple of Saisons and I really liked them too.  Although they were a bit rougher than the Dupont.  Unfortunately I think they were a source of diastaticus in a number of subsequent beers.  Getting rid of that from my bottles took weeks and I chucked the two plastic Coopers fermenters I had been using.

If I do them again, I will be dedicating a fermenter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have only done a couple of Saisons and I really liked them too.  Although they were a bit rougher than the Dupont.  Unfortunately I think they were a source of diastaticus in a number of subsequent beers.  Getting rid of that from my bottles took weeks and I chucked the two plastic Coopers fermenters I had been using.

If I do them again, I will be dedicating a fermenter.

I always clean out my fermenters and bottles with a iodine based sanitiser now due to that reason and haven’t had an issue since 

Kaiju Beer - Demon Cleaner

This one's not going to be popular with some because it is anti-canines.  Not sure why.

Aroma peppery, piney, some spice, a little fruity

Smooth flavour.  Not dominated by bitterness at all.  Similar spicy flavour to the aroma.  7.6% ABV, but you would not know.

IMG_1858.JPG.5b9ef5dd98b8296af900d5a0436bc770.JPG

Kaiju - Paradise Pils

Looks like a pale, but it is a lager with the Kaiju twist

Hop aroma from Citra and Amarillo

Crisp bitterness combined with a citrus flavour.  Noticeable hop flavour.  Malt is pretty subtle.

These guys make interestingly good beers.

IMG_1859.JPG.748ed2f48b962669eeff5a2118e4823e.JPG

• Like 5

Went to Range Brewing after work last night and they had a nitro breakfast stout on tap so I had to give it a go.

Gent serving said I might be lucky to get one as they keg is about to blow and it’s the last keg of it, but he managed to get one out.

The thing was a meal. Massive silky smooth mouthfeel which could only be attributed to the nitro in combination with oats and probably some lactose there which left a nice sweetness. Aroma of chocolate and coffee which carried into the taste. 

Strangest thing was the finish wasn’t that heavy and definitely left me wanting more, but by then I noticed a glass hanging off the tap 🙁

So going to have to do some research into that one!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1