Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

I have the current ROTM (Island Coconut Porter) in the fermenter atm. It fermented out days ago, but I've been a bit slack & time poor to get the toasted desiccated coconut into the brew until today where I finally had a day off & time to do it.

FG is stable & good @ 1.014 so I'm happy about that given I subbed 200gms of dextrose for 500gms of the light dry malt. I sparged the grain steep very well on brew day to extract some added wort from them knowing this would help with preserving a good final body in the beer.

On brew day I noted the roasted grain influence presented quite acrid & upon tasting the hydrometer sample today it is still very prominent, but apart from that the flavours are lovely. The coconut influence should help with some of that, as will most notably ageing the beer. I'd hoped to keg this brew & drink it a little fresher to finish out the winter months, but that looks less likely to happen now as this acrid aspect will make the beer less enjoyable. I'll either buy another keg & put it away for a while or bite the bullet & painstakingly bottle the batch ? which is probably the right thing to do with it for the most enjoyable outcome.

One plus with this brew is I discovered 60x60 chux cloths that held the 250gms of toasted desiccated coconut easily. I might start using these for dry hopping my hoppy pale ales due to how much they can hold. ? ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Lusty. This is next on my hit list. And I'm interested in how yours goes.

Am hoping to get it down on Saturday, but bottling tonight is delayed due to stupid deadlines ? And there's a Caribbean Porter taking up space in the ale fermenting fridge.

Mightn't be till early next week that I get to it. Which will throw my whole lager > ale leapfrog production line out of sync.

To be honest it's probably in the post anyway with the temps starting to climb. But you never know what the weather will do in Melbourne...

rain storm GIF

On 8/9/2018 at 5:05 PM, Beerlust said:

I have the current ROTM (Island Coconut Porter) in the fermenter atm. It fermented out days ago, but I've been a bit slack & time poor to get the toasted desiccated coconut into the brew until today where I finally had a day off & time to do it.

FG is stable & good @ 1.014 so I'm happy about that given I subbed 200gms of dextrose for 500gms of the light dry malt. I sparged the grain steep very well on brew day to extract some added wort from them knowing this would help with preserving a good final body in the beer.

On brew day I noted the roasted grain influence presented quite acrid & upon tasting the hydrometer sample today it is still very prominent, but apart from that the flavours are lovely. The coconut influence should help with some of that, as will most notably ageing the beer. I'd hoped to keg this brew & drink it a little fresher to finish out the winter months, but that looks less likely to happen now as this acrid aspect will make the beer less enjoyable. I'll either buy another keg & put it away for a while or bite the bullet & painstakingly bottle the batch ? which is probably the right thing to do with it for the most enjoyable outcome.

One plus with this brew is I discovered 60x60 chux cloths that held the 250gms of toasted desiccated coconut easily. I might start using these for dry hopping my hoppy pale ales due to how much they can hold. ? ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I’ve cracked one tonight. Just over two weeks in the bottle but wowsers it’s a good one. It reminds me of a porter/stout back home called Murphy’s. But with added coconut 

we’ll done Coopers

FEB6CB86-3BEB-448D-ACE2-D7A1973C6F96.jpeg

9 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I’ve cracked one tonight. Just over two weeks in the bottle but wowsers it’s a good one. It reminds me of a porter/stout back home called Murphy’s. But with added coconut 

we’ll done Coopers

It’s a great looking beer!!

Enjoy

9 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

we’ll done Coopers

Nice one Paddy. 

A friend of mine who’s Irish was on about me brewing a dry Irish stout like Murphy’s since I started brewing. 

I based my first stout on that brew and then adjusted to my tastes. 

Sensational stout. 

Glad this one reminds you of the homeland a bit.

Captain

On 8/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, The Captain1525230099 said:

So as it stands it’s a 10.1% beer.

This is the RIS. Doesn't look black so maybe it is a Barley Wine now? Stoopid alcohol content.

P8030007.thumb.jpg.ac4d9d2f2a75598fa2ba806da273bba6.jpg

Drank the whole hydro sample... so yummy

Looking at putting down the Lightning Strike Summer ale on the Show holiday on Wednesday and was wondering if anyone has brewed this before and what to expect?

Was wondering if its worth giving it a dry hop as well to give it a bit more flavour towards the end of fermentation?

The other question I have is I've been banned from using the "Good pots" for brewing so was going to pick up the 19L Big W pot, but looking at it....its freaking huge and maybe too big for the stovetop activities I do - I'm really only using it for steeping grain, maybe some partial mashing and extract brews as I get a few more beers under my belt. Is the 19L really necessary for that kind of thing, or am I better off picking up something around the 15L mark.

For example the Lightning Strike calls for 5litres of water, obviously I want a big enough pot to avoid boilovers etc but wondering if 5L in a 19L pot might be overkill.

2 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

... so was going to pick up the 19L Big W pot, but looking at it....its freaking huge and maybe too big for the stovetop activities I do - I'm really only using it for steeping grain, maybe some partial mashing and extract brews as I get a few more beers under my belt. Is the 19L really necessary for that kind of thing, or am I better off picking up something around the 15L mark.

I'd grab the big w pot. No issues with not using the large volume and you may be glad of it one day if you ever decide to experiment with a small all - grain or extract batch. 

Cheers, 

John

Get both, a big pot and a small pot. You will use them both.

I have the 19 litre Big W pot and have used it for many years. But when all I was doing was steeping grain and small hop boils for kits and bits I just used a smaller pot. But the 19 litre pot was better for full extract beers because you could do a bigger boil.

Caribbean Porter bottled last night so, with a lil tacker home sick, I seized the day and put the Island Coconut Porter down.

In a few weeks I'll be in Porter heaven.

gene wilder GIF

First time using Nottingham. Heard a lot about that strain. Anyone got any tips on reusing it? Suitable styles / recipes?

I will put down this session ale tomorrow, while watching sick kids, I call it Sinestro's Session Ale. Think stone & Wood but with citra and galaxy. I have made a similar batch before and I considered it my best beer ever, but I have tweaked it slightly from the original. I will dry hop with another 50g of each hop and end of fermentation. S&W Pacific Ale is around 18ibus so while this one is around 19.7 for a 10l boil. I think, on beersmith3 I haven't figured out how to ensure what goes into the boil and what is added to the fermenter, so anyone figure that out? I will cool this right down as fast as possible with ice.

I need to start making beers more than once, but there are so many hops to try and yeast I cannot stay focused enough.

Cheers,

Norris

Screenshot_20180814-215335.thumb.jpg.71efc1ddfb8414211e9ab11f17937622.jpg

I'm thinking about going up to a 60l fermenter this APA is bloody good... crystal clear no fining just cold crashed @Otto Von Blotto your advice made this beer perfect man ? I even bottled what I couldn't get in the keg and they were great ? pale floral notes ? from the summer and melba hops ? highly recommend no rules pale ale ?, one thing I did notice temperature cold out the fridge you get less of a floral hop hit more pale malt, but let this creep up in temp and its a different beer i'm wondering if grabbing some summer and melba hop flowers and dumping them in the keg would elevate that hop aroma at colder temps?

Archived